1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for Grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ethan Pierce, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethan Pierce

Ethan Pierce TS Member

This year will be my first time shooting in compatition (and of all shoots the grand). Any tips?

2. lisalong

lisalong Member

Make sure you keep hydrated!

3. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Eye on the "rock". Head on the stock..........Thats all you have to remember......Roger

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

play everything!!!!

(well, not really!!)

Make sure you plan how long it takes to get to your shooting field. It's a huge place, with sloooow traffic. stay hydrated. Don't gawk at the vendors too much, it will affect your shooting...

If you get a chance, watch how Leo, Ray, Phil, Harlan handle themselves...

Shake hands with Giacomo, he's worth a couple extra targets...

make sure you get your pin.

and, have fun....

5. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

If you are like most the Grand is different. I was so caught up in just being there the concentration for me was a lot more than I thought I had in me. The targets came out so slooooow, big as trash can lids and stopped in mid flight and waited for me to bust them.

This passes after the first few shoots. They get real small hard to see and fast as a speeding bullet. That is when you learn about excuses.

Rock

Jim

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

For those of you who have been to the grand before; how long does it normally take to run through each event? I signed up today to shoot singles and handicap tomorrow, would just like an idea of how long I'm going to have to stand around in the heat. Thanks, Josh.

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Actually, you don't really have to stand around in the heat. You can drive up to your bank, park, and go shoot once you figure things out.

The weather doesn't look bad. Hot Wednesday with a chance of a PM shower, then declining humidity and temps for the next 10 days, with almost rain in the forecast. Won't be near as hot as it was last year.

The size of the place will surprise you. You're gonna have some fun.

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Yea, I've already been shooting there for 2 days for SCTP. I was just wondering how long it takes to shoot an event. Since they start with singles, then handicap, and finally doubles. I basically want a ball park of how long I'll have to wait after I'm done shooting (squad #3 in singles). Thanks, Josh.

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Getting things right the first time will make it a more memorable occasion so let me give you a simple tip that will help you through not only the Grand but threw life.

Spelling is very important ... its competition not compatition.

10. 40 Acres

40 Acres TS Member

Uh oh here come the spelling police
    Mr Newbius© you should take some of your own advice about getting things right the first time. You might be able to spell but you could use a little work on your grammar.

through/ threw

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/threw
    Main Entry: threw
    past of throw
    1 a: to propel through the air by a forward motion of the hand and arm <throw a baseball> b: to propel through the air in any manner <a rifle that can throw a bullet a mile> c: pitch 6b <threw a no-hitter>

11. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

stay hydrated, stop by federal ATK to clean your gun after shooting (sparta's humidity will rust your gun up in a flash)... try the italian sausages by the food vendors. Head on the stock eye on the rock. cool off in the vendor buildings by the practice traps and buy alot of commemorative stuff

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

shoot early before the winds pick up!!!!

13. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Is there WiFi connectivity in the campground area?

14. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Shoot early when you can. Avoid shopping until after you shoot. Familiarize yourself with the bank locations and learn how long it takes to reach your bank. Things flow much faster than Vandalia so allow yourself time to get to your bank and some extra for "set up" time It is usually "VERY HOT" there. There are cooling stations at various locations. It might be a good idea to locate this as well as the location of EMT personnel stations. Keep yourself Hydrated.

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

How long is the drive from STL?

16. Ethan Pierce

Ethan Pierce TS Member

Thanks 4 all da help but i forgot to tell u that i live in sparta so some of this stuff don't help cause i'm out there all the time like looking at the vendors to long and stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.