1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for a new shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miketmx, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Welcome to trapshooting, Thad. The link above will provide some basic info on trapshooting. It came from an older book called "Trapshooting by D. Lee Braun and the Remington Pros". There are some good books by Kay Ohye, Frank Little, Daro Handy, and Bill Bennett. Phil Kiner has an excellent video on trapshooting. There are lots of good publications on reloading. I use basic target loads found in the Alliant Powder reloading manual. I have used Red Dot and Green Dot since the 60's. You don't need heavy loads to have a good time.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There are so many good recipes for your reloads that it would be impossible to list them all. However, I'd wager that a sound majority of folks in the games favor Remington STS, Nitro 27, or Gun Club hulls (all can be loaded alike), Red Dot, 700X, or Clays powder, many folks match the hull and primer makers (Rem. for Rem., Winchester for Winchester and so on) but then many of us will stick with the best price. Wads from the same manufacturer as the hulls is unbeatable while Winchester or Remington wads or their clones for those wads from Claybuster, Duster, and DownRange are usually less expensive and work as well. You need not buy the most expensive loader to start out on and using a fairly simple model that doesn't do things for you is the best way to learn the process; plus you don't have to mortgage the Corvette only to later find out trap isn't what you expected. You do not have to fall into the trap of buying and selling guns every month or year to improve; the fellow that sticks with a gun and learns it well is using his head. Enjoy the best fraternity of people I've ever run across.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.