1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

### TIPS FOR A NASHVILLE TRIP ###

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Fox32, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox32

Fox32 Member

We are headed to Nashville for a few days and would like some tips on the places to see and where to eat! Grand Ole Opry for sure and what else???? Ideas and comments would be appreciated!!!!

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

The Stockyard used to be a great place to eat. I suppose it still is. Just tell the cab driver, and he will know the way.

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Was just in Nashville Memorial Day and a few days longer.

If you are into history of the early United States, consider "The Hernatage". It is Andrew Jackson's estate. If you can't do a lot of walking, it might not be for you. They offer an iPod type of narrated tour with three different tracks (Standard, Kids and Rachel) Also take the horse drawn wagon tour to get more of the history of the place.

General Jackson Showboat. they have both some days and evening tours. Feature a family style dinner and a show that that we considered even better than the Grand Ole Opry. It featured Steve Wall and Shotgun Red. Clean humor that had all of us (it was an Air Force Radar sites from Iceland reunion.) just about rolling on the floor. It takes a very pleasant and smooth paddlewheeler up the Cumberland River to the downtown area and then back. The ride is so smooth we didn't even notice that we started or docked until we looked out the window.

Evening walking, and a horse drawn carriage tour of downtown along with a stop or two at some of the local "entertainment" spots (Honky Tonks) may be of interest to you if you like live music. We had the entire second floor of the WildHorse Saloon for our group with a buffet that was excellent. I don't know if the walk-in is menu or buffet. The show you get may be better or worse than what we saw depending on who the performing artist is. You might want to check out who is performing then decide. They also had dancing with a staff member leading people in doing a couple of country dances.

The downtown section was under up to 20 feet of water a year ago May but you would never know it now.

If you are looking for Country music CDs, probably the largest collection of artists and albums I have ever run into is at Ernst Tubbs in the downtown. There are also a bunch of stores selling cowboy boots and such in the downtown area. That might need a daytime visit since most were closed when we went walking around 8:30 P.M.

"Cock of the Walk" is an interesting place to eat. Just watch out for flying corn bread. The catfish is very good. Even my wife, who is not a fish lover, really enjoyed her fried catfish dinner. It is about a mile away from Opryland.

We did not have a chance to get to the Country Music Hall of Fame so I can't tell you how that is.

If you are driving and like caves, Mammoth Cave is only a little bit north of Nashville, maybe an hour or so away.

There is a big shopping mall adjacent to the Grand Ole Opry but, with the exception of a Bass Pro shop, it is closed and being rebuilt because of the flood.

Get some of the tourist guides and take a look at them since there is a bunch more that we didn't get to.

I hope you enjoy your visit as much as my wife and I did.

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Andrew Jackson's home is the Hermitage.

The downtown area with the honky tonks (Tootsie's Orchid Lounge, Wildhorse, etc.)is locally called "Lower Broadway' with intersecting "2nd Avenue". Mammoth Cave National Park is about 95 miles north of downtown Nashville off I-65 North. The Corvette Museum (part of the Corvette plant) is between Nashville and the Cave just north of Bowling Green, KY off I-65 north. Country Music Hall of Fame Museum is in Nashville. The former Grand Ole Opry House (Ryman Auditorium) is also just up the hill from Broadway downtown. If you are going out to the Grand Old Opry House also check out the Opryland Hotel. Quite a place.

5. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Actually we are staying the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. Same place you are suggesting DA? These are great tips. Like hinky tonks and flying cornbread. Keep em coming!!! THANKS!!!

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One hint about Mammoth Caves. If you plan on going, there are several different tours offered but all require reservations. Check out on line what the different tours offer and their cost then reserve in advance. When we went, all tours but one were sold out for the day and that one sold out not long after we got there.

You can check out the cave's web page at:
    http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Have been to mammoth cave twice.. love it..never needed a reservation..??
    Also dont over look Kens Gold Club.. "where all the ladies are 24 carat"..lol..

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I had a lot of fun on Planters Row? many years ago, saw some things I ain't never seen since. LOL

9. DoubleAuto

silverbulletexpress:

Are you referring to "Printer's Alley? More honky tonks.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Yeh thats it Printers Alley.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You should really visit TCTC. If you go to the caves, take a coat, always 52-55° in there.

12. DoubleAuto

Probably the best high end gun shop in Nashville is Game Fair Ltd.

13. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Would we be better to stay at the Opryland Hotel or downtown area by Music Row etc....I know I know 7&1/2's or 8's. Thanks in advance.

14. DoubleAuto

"Music Row" (where a lot of the recording studios are located) is mainly around 16th and 17th avenue's south. There are probably some nice ones around West End Avenue near there. I don't know anything about the hotels located right in that area. There are some large really nice hotels in the downtown business area (you need to check on walking distances to 2nd avenue area) and parking. Opryland Hotel with it's three enclosed atrium's and many restaurants is a unique place to stay. Of course if you want to spend big bucks The Hermitage Hotel (five star) was just named one of the top ten hotels in the country.

15. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

We stayed at the Raddison. It is across the street from Gaylord Opryland. The hotel was good but the restaurant was closed as they were remodeling. I don't know if it is open now or not. There are a other restaurants around the area. Shoney is behind the Raddison and Bob Evans is not to far away. There are some other restaurants around but we didn't get to try them. There are a couple other motels across from Opryland also. I don't know how the prices compare to Opryland. From the outside, Opryland looked quite impressive. It is a BIG hotel.

16. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Tootsies.... once I go in, I never come out.

SW

17. ctreay

ctreay Member

Couple of hours to the south on I-24 is the Chattenooga Choo-Choo.

ctreay

18. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Opreland Hotel is the coolest hotel you will ever see. Did you look it up on the computer? There are 15 restaurants, enough places to eat and drink in there, you will not have to leave. You can go to a different bar /restuarant every night for a week. And there are gift shops galore. BIG JIM

19. Dent

Dent TS Member

I'm new here, but go see my good friend Jake Maurer at Tootsies. He plays there 5 times a week.

-Justin Dentino

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.