1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for a 9-year-old shooter (trap)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bt994ever, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bt994ever

bt994ever TS Member

Anyone got any tips to teach my 9 year old daughter how to shoot trap? I've already decided that i will show her a little bit of gun safety but I think i should start her out on wobble trap and a 20 gauge youth rem 1100 with low recoil shells.

Greenrobertj5 thanked this.
  2. open choke

open choke TS Member

Why wobble?

Don't you think that would be more difficult?

Why not straight aways on station 3 or high 1 and low 7 on the skeet field?

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Well, I would hope you'd teach her a lot about gun safety.

Not sure I'd start someone out on wobble.

I'd probably lock the trap on straight away and let her stand on post three and have at it.

Teach her to look only at the target.

Actually, the method that some folks recommend is to start out with a BB gun that has the sights removed. That teaches the young person how to trust that the gun will shoot where they look. It's also cheaper and can be done everyday after school in the backyard, rather than occasionally at the gun club.

4. PowerMT

PowerMT TS Member

I started my son at age 7, he is now 12 at the 22 yrd line. At age 7 he stood behind the house with the box of shells sitting on the roof and i would hand him i shell at a time shooting straight aways and then moving back. kids need to see the target clearly and move to the target and break it and i mean break it often before moving to the line. this will just lead to disappointment if they cant hit it.

5. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

+1 to the above.

You need to control the box of ammo. 1 shell at a time. I like to use a Remy 1100 in 28 GA on the low house #7 station--skeet field. Shoot lots of those going away shots to instill confidence. Then move to the trap field station 3.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Forget the wobble. You want the best chance of success as soon as possible. Start her on Post 3, targets fixed in "straight-a-ways" and about 40-45 yd. distance.

As she gets better take the targets toward regulation ONE STEP AT A TIME as she gets proficient at each stage of difficulty. KEEP IT FUN! Try not to stay at any stage too long.

She'll do fine. Awfully glad to see you bringing us a new shooter. Thanks

7. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

My advice is to make sure it doesn't hurt her to shoot the gun and you have the right plan there. I'm started a number of young shooters with my 20 Ga youth 1100. I load 5/8 oz loads with just enough green dot to operate the action--hardly any recoil. I usually start at low 7 on a skeet field. Best to you on passing our sport on.

8. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Well I have to disagree with everyone. I think the best place to start is with a high house target from station 7. This is still a very easy shot but it does bring gun movement in to play.

9. dux4all

dux4all Member

Holy cr@p!!! Trapshooters recommending starting someone on a SKEET field? What is the world coming to? Does she have to wear the pink tutu at 9 years old or is she exempt?

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The heading definitely says (trap). Go pound sand you skeeters. d;o)

11. jhoward

jhoward Member

I agree with Barry, start her right behind the trap house, lock the trap on straight aways, and if possible, turn the machine down to a 40 yard target. You want her to be able to hit something or she's going to get frustrated and lose interest.

12. BrokeTrapDad

BrokeTrapDad Member

Go to a open space and set out stationary targets start with that and let her just start busting them maybe a couple boxes worth build some confidence and get the anxieties of just the gun shooting out of the way then start lobbing some hand thrown easy right out front then move on from there give the kid a chance to break some and get used to the gun kicking,noise,loading,etc without all the outside influence! IMHO

13. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I suggest getting her hooked up with a certified coach.

Safety above all if you don't put her with a certified coach.

Make sure the gun fits her.

Nothing but positive motivation. Absolutely nothing negative. If she is doing somrthing wrong, explain so she understands.

Make sure she is strong enough to mount and hold the gun.

Proper gun mount.

Don't count hits and misses.

A very good suggestion would be to get her hooked up with an SCTP Coach. They are not only NRA/ATA certified, to be a registered SCTP Coach they also have other training to be Certified to coach SCTP Programs.

Get coach trained yourself. It is a wonderful class and you will benefit from it, too.

14. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A hunter safety course is great and we highly recommend an outside coach. Getting instruction from "DAD" is not the same as getting it from "COACH". Be the shooting buddy and keep it fun, not the guy who is correcting her. Age 9 is very young, size/strength varys greatly from kid to kid. Don't let her get sore, that's not fun. Just mounting/lifting the gun at home helps to build shooting muscles. Remember, safety first, safety last and safety in between.

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Ditto what Karla said, but maybe your school has a 4-H shooters program?

Ours has, and they meet on Thursdays in the early summer at out club, with their instructors.

Purdue University supplies the ammo for 12 and 20 gauge, and the instructors provide the .410.

I have watched them, and they do great things for a start-up shooter.

16. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Get her involved in the Scholastic Clay Target Program.

We have trained coaches who specialize in teaching children.

Little girls take a particular special touch. They have very little upper body strength and use their hips to support everything above the belly button. Coaching them to consistency can be tough.

Our coaches also undergo Federal Background checks to keep the perverts away and the kids safe.

http://www.shootsctp.org/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best shotguns for a ten year old girl competing in 4-h skeet and trap

tips for young shooters