1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tipping???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Frank C, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

read an article today on line about tipping......so what is the consensus here about tipping for meals, taxi? what about holiday tipping.....who actually does this? How about a hotel/motel housekeeper??

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

My rule is at least 15% before tax. All the time. Jeff

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There are times when I do not tip.

A particularly boorish incompetent waitress does not get a tip. Example-no mustard on table, asked for mustard, it was borough when I had one bite left of the sandwich. NO tip.

A competent waitress who refills coffee without asking, before the cup is empty, and brings the food when I am done with the soup gets 20 %. And I round it off to the high side.

I do not tip shoot referees, cab drivers, or bartenders.

I do tip the newsboy at Christmas time. (If he did a decent job.)

I never got a tip in my work life. But a few appreciative remarks went a long way.

HM

4. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I always tip for good service........Roger

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I tip 10% at counters such as Starbucks, Baskin Robbins, pizza pick ups, etc, and at smorgasbord restaurants where the server only brings you drinks and the bill (UNLESS s/he does an outstanding job).

At normal restaurants, I tip 15% if the waitress/waiter is nothing more than adequate. If the server is good, then I tip more according to the service that I got, sometimes up to 30%, but usually around 20%. If we take up the table for a looong time, because I am visiting or conducting a meeting, then I leave a tip that makes up for the customers that the server missed because of me.

I stay in hotels a lot because of my job. I don't normally tip the housekeeper, unless they bring me extra soap, towels, etc. I think the practice of tipping the housekeeper is going by the wayside...I only know one person that does it out of all of the road warriors that I know. I do tip the bell staff, if I use them, but I generally carry my own bags to the room. I always tip room service, and usually about 20% (unless it is an automatic add-on to the bill).

I give holiday gifts instead of tips. Until recently, I had a housekeeper. She really enjoyed the smoked salmon that I gave her every year.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

does anyone tip the postman? Garbage man?

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Dont tip Bartenders ? Then my drinks are way better than yours, LOL. Jeff

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Man, I must be cheap or something....

If I stay in a hotel that costs $100, I would never leave a $20 laying on the bed for housekeeping.

Waitresses/waiters/bartenders/etc...I'm with Devi, good tips for good ones. When I was younger and spent a lot of time in crowded, noisy clubs I would often hold a $20 up by my face and tell the barkeep to remember this face and then give it to him. Man, could I get drunk fast on those occasions...

The postman? don't make me laugh...its his JOB to sit in that jeep and drive around and stick the mail in the boxes.

And no kid that does his job by handing me over the counter whatever it is I'm purchasing from his establishment will ever see a tip from me.

I carried groceries for 7 years when I was a kid...I could add up all my tips and still not have enough to buy a bag of shot at today's price.

9. recurvyarcher

Don't really go to bars. The few times that I have gone is to listen to a friend's band. So it's not on my mind enough to remember to write that. But I do tip the 'tender/'maid, even if I order a soda.

10. setter

setter Member

Sniper1969 tips at least 25% on most everything. Sometimes I take it, when he's not looking, and personally hand it to the server with thanks. Always gets him started.

Once we asked this waitress "what's the largest tip you've received?". She said " a $100". So Sniper tops this on a $55 tab, and as we're leaving here comes the waitress & I pick up the tip & say thanks. That was the last time that he bought dinner.

11. recurvyarcher

LOL! Just had dinner with the Mr. and Mrs. Sniper last weekend. He's always a good one to get the laughs started.

And I had a marguerita, too. (did I spell that correctly? Maybe I need another one so I can learn.)

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

TIP,,,,as I was told years ago was T o I nsure P romptness,,,,if the service is good then I do at least 15% or 20% depending on whether it was outstanding,,,,if it is not I leave a hint,,,,usually 5%.

Gratuity is different,,,,a thank you for something extra ordinary,,,,had dinner at Waffle House tonight and the cook made the best hashbrowns I've had at WH before so he got a gratuity and the waitress got a tip.

BTW,,,,I always tip cows....:D Want to do it sometime???? ;)

13. setter

setter Member

Curvy,

Only one! Who counts, as well, Sniper is a good designated driver. Additionally - margarita.

Regards,
    Jim

14. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Having a daughter that financed part of her college by waitressing and now is paying college loans by being a part-times bartender, and a mother who financed my childhood by working as a short order cook, my wife and I, or just me if I am alone, almost always try to tip 15% and especially competent and prompt service will get higher. I don't visit a bar hardly ever and when I do it is only for one beer so that doesn't result in any tip. Postmen, no, motel housekeepers, if we are on a multiple day stay and receive good service, will rate a five or ten spot a day.

Now for a slightly different view. For our honeymoon, many years back (1982), we went to Iceland for ten days. Here we took a cab when we were in Reykjavik. Surprise, surprise. WE RECEIVED A TIP FROM A CAB DRIVER! YES, you read that right. We RECEIVED a tip. Some background might be in order. I don't know if it is still the case but back then, in Iceland tipping a waiter or waitress or hotel staff was considered virtually an insult. Tipping was not done. When we took a cab into town one time, I did not have the exact change so I gave him maybe 50 Krona or so more than the fare. At the time a Krona was about 11 Cents U.S. He could not make exact change either. The end result was that he told me to keep the extra three Krona. I tried to get him to keep the extra seven Krona instead but he was insistent that we "keep the change".

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Part of my nefarious ill-spent youth was tending bar at the "Pink Panther Lounge" near Niagara Falls. I was a student at Niagara University and the night work was perfect for my day classes ... with the possible exception of Dr. Kileys Biology lab at 8:00 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Slept through a lot of those...

Tips were a big part of my income...but I also figured you had to earn them. I did my best to empty ashtrays, get folks their drinks on time, keep the bar spotlessly clean and be cheerful and polite to my bar patrons. Most of the customers would leave something and it was always appreciated.

Bob

16. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

Tip the garbageman? In a heartbeat!
    My garbage service has gone downhill in the last few years. Small pallets were picked up, all cardboard(flattened) was picked up, extra cans were picked up. Then all of a sudden the rules changed, no extra cans unless i called ahead of time, cardboard had to be bundled in 2x2x2 cubes. pallets, forgetaboutit. sort the gargage from the recycle, yeah right. The fix? A (BIG) bottle of Crown Royal about the third week of December and my problems went away. Been doing it for years.

17. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

682Beretta,

The trash man gets my vote too ... I never thought of the Crown Royal, good idea. I put $50 in a Christmas card and tape it to the can right before the holidays. I could put out nuclear waste that glows in the dark and he'd take it! Get good service during the year too. If I forget to bring the cans out he will walk to the house and get them ... best $50 I spend all year and he is one happy camper. It's a small private company and I'm sure he is not overpaid.

Bob

18. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

No1 ever tipped me for saving there life,or there house from burning down.usually dont even get a thanx ! :eek:( I usually go on service,if service is good I tip a bit better,if its is bad,I have left a penny on the table!

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I always leave a tip, the server is usually the one who makes up my mind how much ... So, it can be anything from a penny on up to 25% of the tab ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I spent many years in my working days as a tow truck operator in a town between Austin and Dallas. Once I went bout 30 miles up the interstate to retrieve a stranded motorist driving a Mercedes. He was enroute to Austin and had blown out a tire and ruined the wheel. Wanting me to take it to the dealer, the driver asked me if I could get him a rent car. Being late in the day, the only ones were at the airport whick was a detour of 3 miles or so.

After taking him to the airport and waiting for him to get the rental, he followed me to the dealer, so he could remove articles that were necessary for the trip. When we retieived all his belongings and we had his vehicle secure at the dealer, he reached in his pocket and gave me two twenty dollar bills and said, "this is for you". I appreciated it more that he will ever know. Was just doing my job and treating people as I would want to be treated in a time of need. I will always try to return the favor whenever possible. Good service deserves to be rewarded, but in my case, wasn't expexcted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.