1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tipping Pullers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

How many folks tip the pullers? In practice? In events? What is the proper amount? I usually give them something but I am not sure what is proper. Jake

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I give $5 at the end of the day in the jar on the counter, except at the home club, where it's all volunteer members doing the chores. I usually shoot 4 rounds maybe 5.

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Joe, Thanks. That is about what I do. Jake

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I see nothing wrong in the pratice of tipping. There should be a jar or a box on the wall so no one can say you bought a target by giving the tip to the person on the field. I just wish all clubs had something like a box or a jar for tips for the kids. As for the amount $5.00 and up would be afair amounr for both parties. Longer events like state shoots would be more.

5. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i usually do a buck a round

6. ajc

ajc Member

I don't have an issue with tipping in general. Specific to trapshooting if it's non-registered targets and I know the scorer is a volunteer, I think tipping is OK. But, if it's a registered shoot and the tip is given directly to the scorer, even though we are all perfect people, it could lead to a chip here or there.

Scenario: you are on a squad of new friends. After the first house one or two of the shooters drop a dollar on the scorers sheet. The scorer moves with the squad (which was fairly common at the recent CA State Shoot). After the 2nd and 3rd houses the tippers are straight, and the tips have increased after each house. A tipper appears to miss a tough right hander from post 5. The scorer isn't 100% sure if s/he saw a chip or not. But the anticipated tip from that guy alone could buy lunch...can the scorer really make a fair call? could you?

I'd rather have a jar in the clubhouse.
    ajc

7. TrapHelp91

TrapHelp91 TS Member

Even though at the club I work at tips are not often given, a tip every now and then to show you are doing a good job is always great. I love my work and it is around something I love to do. I'm glad people find it in themselves to tip the scorer and make them feel good.

Hunter

8. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

i did this ,squad mates and i bet 1 dollar a trap and if i win i give it to the scorer. a little incentive to try harder

9. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

I was told by a puller at the Ohio state shoot they weren't allowed to accept tips...Ron

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

This is a thankless job, not only giving the kid a buck or two at the end of a 100 targets is a sign that we appricate his or her dedication but always thanking them for the service he or she provides. This is esspcially true when the service is good or above average.

Ronbo

11. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Must be a mid-west, east coast thing. I've never, ever seen tipping on the west coast. I keep score quite a bit for our registered shoots (including our State PITA shoot this past May), personally I appreciate the thank you's. I may not be shooting, but I am contributing my time to make sure you are able to shoot a fair game. A thank you and/or a compliment for a good job goes a long way, in my opinion, that means more than money for me. However, that's me. I volunteer my time and don't expect compensation (in any form) for it.

It's different for the kids though and you should tip them.

12. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I quit tipping every round because I added it up one month and my tips came to over $80.00. I could buy 2 shooting cards with that money and help the club instead of giving away an extra $11.00 - $15.00 a night. I tip every now and then but not every round like I used to.

Jerbear

13. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

at large shoots i allways tip the scorer before i shoot on him or hers trap, i generally pull out a C note, tear it in half, give him or her on of the halves and tell them they will get the other half if they see every tiny minute piece that comes off my target and call em dead. if they miss a piece, i dont give them the other torn off piece of the C note. this allways makes them strive to do a stand up job.

14. Ertz

Ertz Member

I have been cow tipping but never puller tipping. Don't they get a little angry when you knock them over?

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I walk over to the kid and hand him-her a buck or two and say nice job thanks. Even if it stunk for me. The jar thing is OK but this way the right person got what they worked for. Who knows the other pullers my have been lousy.

Rock

Jim

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I was called to task for tipping a scorer in Canada once. I had just two of their paper dollars left and thought it was a good idea to tip for a good job done. I was called in by their shoot director to explain my actions, it seemed that someone misconstrued the fact and felt I was paying for a good score. To his surprise, the trapper I tipped, was not on my best scoring trap but did an excellent job for our entire squad, all from the USA. The director requested that in the future, I should place my tips in the community tip jar for all of them to split.

Big Jack

17. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Has been my experinace that tipping pullers is a West Coast Skeet Shooter tradition. I tipped the kids at Sparta they work hard and when they do a good job they should be recognized.

Ronbo

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Many shooters are too cheap to tip pullers- wish it was otherwise

Some do tip

You can also see that some that dont tip talk down to pullers- in a min you size these people up for what they are

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

I tip $1 per 25 but never at a registered shoot. AND only after the shooting is done.

I also don't tip in the jar, but give to the kids directly.

Here's a true story:

A fellow drives up in his Escalade and grabs 2 of his guns, and whistles to the trap help to help him carry his stuff to the bench. My son trots over and carrys his 2 guns (a Bowen and a Perazzi OU) and then fetches 2 cases of shells from the clubhouse to the bench for him (Clubhouse is on Trap 5, this guy wants to shoot on Trap 13. (its about 95 degrees this particular afternoon.

The fellow comences to shoot and has the trap re-set 4-5 times, then changed to doubles, and back to singles again. Every now and then he would complain that the pull was slow, especially when he would miss. That guy shot about 15 rounds,... (of which he tossed the empties on the ground...Remmington STS).

Then asked my son to pick them up for him and put them in his truck while he went to pay for his rounds in the clubhouse. And also store his guns in the back of his SUV.

Over that 2-hours, my son made $12. And that fat prick didn't tip one cent.

Moral of the story: Tip the trap help...you would do no less at a nice restaurant where you spent $150.

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

No, I don't bribe the judge.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.