1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tipping at Motels

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Go Fish, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Questions. Do you tip the housekeeping at a motel and if you do how much?

2. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Questions. Do you tip the housekeeping at a motel and if you do how much?

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Never have yet.....I expect the room to be clean when I check in and expect that it is cleaned for the next traveler....what are you paying for??

4. JRW

JRW Member

Yes if I am staying several days. I leave 2 or 3 bucks. Jerry

5. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

I spend 230-240 days a year in motels and if they do extra stuff ie: extra towels, water, etc. I'll leave some $$$...

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

We stayed at the Microtel on Carrier Circle in Syracuse for the NY State Shoot several years ago. Walked into the room for the first time and found a large turd floating in the toilet. The Manager said "sorry". NO TIP THAT TIME!!! Larry Evans

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

In Sioux Falls last October at the Days Inn I had feces smeared on the chair and dirty sheets on one bed---that room ended up free. Rarely have I tipped at hotels/motels.

8. jhjanko

jhjanko TS Member

3 or 4 bucks first night, up by 2 bucks a night until I leave. Housekeeping in a motel is a difficult, dirty job that even Mike Rowe wouldn't want to do on his "Dirty Jobs" show.

9. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Hell No! They are just doing their JOB!!! I never got a tip for doing my job well!

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

If we are staying for several nights I will tip if the service is good. Those girls have a nasty job, and I'm sure the pay isn't swell.

11. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have to agree that a tip is only necessary if the service person goes above and beyond their normal job duties, however....leave your room in good condition so that you don't make their job worse. Put dirty towels in the tub, put your trash in the trashcan, keep all the linens/pillows on the bed, either put away your personal items (hair brush, toothbrush, shaving cream, etc) or at least gather them together off to one side.

12. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

We always tip...it's a nasty job. Typically, $5.00 each night in an envelope with her name on it. Kim

13. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

I leave $5-10 laying out just to see if they take it.

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Most of the time if i'm going to stay more than one night I'll leave a tip the first morning and usually get better service. What good does it do you to leave one when you leave?

15. radeck

radeck Member

To me TIPS are: "To Insure Prompt Service". If I have to wait my turn - or if the person doing the job can schedule the task for completion when I'm not present, then there's no prompt service. So I don't tip housekeeping. Also I don’t leave money in the tip jars for shop owners.

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Jan. 2002, few month after the Sep. 11 incident, Super Bowl rescheduled into the same week as SHOT show, all hotels in Vegas were booked, a friend got us couple rooms at Motel 6.

The room was surprisingly clean and kind of nice for a $50 motel, I tipped $10 to the housekeeper in the morning, I got all new (new, not newly washed) sheets & towels when I came back, and there's an umbrella (not new) inside the door, since it had been raining the whole day, I thought what a great hotel (motel) we got here.

Next morning I realize I was the only one holding an umbrella, all my friends were asking me "Did you bought an umbrella?"

Well that was a $20 two-day-umbrella. :)

$20 in Venetian or Mirage will not even get me an extra chocolate.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I always leave a tip if the room is clean and the service is good. These people work pretty hard to keep the rooms up to snuff. I have seen the condition some people leave these rooms in when they leave. I try not to make a mess. I know that they appreciate that, since I've been told many times that they do. I spent over 15 years on the road and have found that they remember you if you are a frequent guest. Same goes for the staff in the restaurants as well.

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Seems the "Non-Tipper's" are ready for the Old Geezer's Club.

Curt

19. gus

gus Member

......and you no tippers are likely shooting the $ 10,000.00 shotguns

20. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Like a few above have stated - leave a small time the first morning of your stay and see how much better the service is while you are there. As always - Money talks -- Bullsh#t walks (or uses older towels and linens)!