1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tip on Sparta,IL.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Woods, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

While staying in Okawville,Il. at bed & breakfast, we had fellow trapshooters over for a barbecue. Bought steaks at Butcher Block,Sparta Il..
    My guests were very impressed with the steaks. I would highly recommend this business.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. SDGooseHunter2008

SDGooseHunter2008 TS Member

Thanks for the tip. My dad will be glad to hear about this.

-Foster Bartholow

3. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe:

What was the B&B rate? I stayed in Oakwaville at the Origional Springs Hotel and am looking for a different place for next year.

Thanks
    Eric

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hey, Joe...the guy that takes care of the camper spots at Sparta told me about Butcher Block. Said that it was the ONLY place to buy meat that was decent. I met the owner's mom. She works at the Pharmacy at Walmart. Really nice person. I went to buy steaks on Saturday, but they were closed by the time that I got there. Next year, I'll be sure to get there when I set up the camper and buy what I need for the week.

Thanks for the post.

5. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

The Butcher Block had a food tent at the east end of the tent vendors. The food (especially breakfast) was FAR better than the crap at the events center and a whole lot cheaper. Prices were very fair there, NO gouging was going on there !!!<br>
    We even went to the shop in town for some meat for a cookout with a friend at his trailer. The meats that we bought were very good. Too bad they don't have a mini butcher shoppe on the grounds !!!!!!

6. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I hope they are back at the Grand next year. Best sandwiches for the "buck" at the Grand.......................Roger

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for letting us know about the food tent. Didn't know about it. I will have to try that next year.

8. jober

jober TS Member

Just want to say that we found the butcher block the first year the shoot was held in Sparta and have been buying our meat there every since. I also would recommend it to everyone.

9. zinger

zinger Member

Ditto what everyone said! We would stop there before we came home to load up on tri-tips (it's a west coast thing) Tri-tips are a best kept secret!

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Recurvey, That is where I ate at all week. Best food at the best prices. Hard to beat.

Saw Andy eating breakfast there a couple of days too.

Great food!

Hauxfan!

11. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I'll echo the comments about The Butcher Block. The best variety and some of the best food at the complex. And, there are some mighty fine small town restaurants that are well worth the drive for the evening meals.

12. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

I gained weight from all of the good eats! It may have been the peach cobbler and the rootbeer floats. I took some steaks with me and picked up more from the Butcher Block. Great people all over the place and great food. I second the fine small town restaurants in the area! What a great time...looking forward to next year.
    CA

13. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

curvy,

You're having steaks at next year's Grand??? I thought you were committed to BBQ?

Make up your mind!

:) milt :)

14. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

LeeAnn has found the Butcher Block and we took home what meat the freezer in the fifth wheel would hold. The Sausage they make is outta sight good. Dan

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I believe you can place an order at their tent site and they will bring it to the grounds and you can pick it up there. Super people with super meat.

Don

16. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

To the Original Springs customer,Okawville,Il.
    The Bed & Breakfast is block & a half east on same street, We ate meals at Original Springs,Okawville,Il. Very Good. We sang at the piano on the first Sat. Nite. Had Fun.Aug09/08
    I have not seen the rooms at Original Springs,I realize this is an older hotel.

Joe Woods/Ontario

17. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

COULD NOT WAIT TO GET TO SPARTA TO GET MEAT AT THE BUTCHER BLOCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.