1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Timney trigger adjustments?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by alant, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

Looking for an instruction sheet for adjusting a Timney 870 or 1100 release trigger. Can't find mine. If you have one, can you please e-mail me a copy?
    Thanks, Alan.

2. alant

ttt

3. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Alan
    were do you live Iam in south jersey If you are close I will ajust it for you.
    Pete

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Alan, I'm going out on a limb here - I don't know that they are adjustable.

Some of Allen's later work wasn't the best from a final finish perspective. Late in his career, I bought two of his releases from him at the Grand and took them both back the following year to have him make them faster. He never said anything about them being adjustable and instead took them along back to his shop after the Grand and paid to ship them back to me.

Also, a month or so ago, I bought a very slightly-used Timney 870 release from a poster on here. It was in new condition but the actual trigger placement in the housing was significantly farther forward than that of any of my other Timney releases and it was v-e-r-y, v-e-r-y slow. I called Stu Wright, as he has taken over repairs of Timney products, and Stu just told me to send it to him. If adjustments were possible, I think Stu would have asked me if I already tried that.

Now, if by "adjustable," you mean stoning and smoothing, then they are adjustable. But as far as turning-a-screw "adjustable," I don't think they are.

For what it's worth...

Ed

5. alant

I should have made it clearer what I wanted. Some Timney triggers have 2 set screws that allow for some adjusting(behind trigger). I want to know what these 2 screws adjust. Thanks, Alan

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Alan, The front screw is a trigger stop. It will control the travel of the release pawl to engage the notch in the sear.

The rear screw will adjust the pressure of the trigger return spring.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjusting a timney trigger

timney trigger adjustment