1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Timney 870/1100 Trigger Fix

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SARGE75X, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I found on Brownells a Timney 870/1100/1187 Trigger Fix Kit that comes with a new sear and 3 different weight springs and a adjustable allen screw to fine it. Does anybody have any experience with this?? Its $89.00 so before I drop that I'd like to know if it was worth it. I like the ability to fine tune it to my liking with the allen screw. Thanks!! A link to the item is listed above

vtofa thanked this.
  2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I had a complete Timney trigger that I used for a little while when I was shooting an 870 Comp. it was an excellent trigger. I just went back to my 1st love (31TC). But if I were ever to go back to the Comp. for recoil issues I don't know if the trigger would be a primary consideration as the stock trigger in the Comp was very good. You can get a few extra hammer springs & experiment with different pull weights by clipping off 1 or 1&1\2 or 2 coils cheaper than this kit, (not knocking the kit) & get just about the same results. just my thoughts-- Good luck in your endeavors--Ross Puls

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Sarge, I'd like to know the same thing. I thought it might be good to change the springs, and why not do it right.

4. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Well I imagine that that sear has a better angle cut into it besides the springs, Ive never been disappointed with Timney before so Im going to buy it, Ill let you know how it goes.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you just cut coils from the spring, you might wind up with a horrible-feeling trigger. I installed a Timney kit in an 870 Super Slug and first tried just replacing the spring. All that did was make the pull lighter and amplify the trigger's creep. Install the Timney sear, too.

[​IMG]

The kit really works. Very, very little creep and my average trigger pull over 10 tries using the white (three pounds) spring was 3 pounds, 3 ounces! I never used the sear adjuster.

Ed

6. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Thats exactly what I was wanting to hear. Thanks, dropping a C note on something I am unsure of, and ends up not working gets me knots on top of my head,,,when the wife finds out,LOL. Was it hard to get the sear pin out??

7. AveragEd

The installation was easy. The instructions that can be downloaded from Timney's website are a little intimidating at first, as they consist of something like 19 pages but when you realize that most of those pages are devoted to good large photos, the fears subside. Anyone with smidgen of mechanical aptitude who knows how to remove and reinstall an 870/1100 trigger group can do it. You won't be treated to parts and springs flying everywhere.

Ed

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Average Ed: Not to argue but, How did you manage to get a "horrible feeling trigger" by shortening the hammer spring?? I have done this for myself and quite a few friends over the years & it has always worked well. You did take the "slack" out of it FIRST I hope! Ross Puls

9. AveragEd

I have never altered an internal gun part but did try just changing trigger sear (NOT hammer) springs as many posters here have mentioned that being a way to improve a Remington trigger. But in my test gun's case, the result was not good.

This 870 Super Slug's trigger was a typical 870/1100 trigger - some creep and a 5-pound, 5.5-ounce pull weight average over ten tries. But a slug gun is shot like a rifle, not a shotgun, so I wanted a more rifle-like trigger in order to give this gun a fair test. Timney was kind enough to donate a kit for this review before they were readily available and while I had the trigger group out, I tried just installing their three-pound spring (three pounds is where I like my cold-weather hunting rifle triggers to break). The result was a lighter pull but the creep was exaggerated because of the sear being easier to move while squeezing the trigger and as a result, the trigger felt even worse. As I had intended to do in the first place, I then installed the Timney sear and the result was a very nice trigger.

If you are going to shoot a shotgun as many people shoot one - slapping or jerking the trigger - it's very possible you wouldn't notice how much worse the trigger feels with just less spring tension. But put one of those guns with a butchered trigger spring on a bench and try the trigger. It's hard to tell how horrible it feels when you're swinging the gun after a moving target.

Again, to be clear, the spring I changed was the sear spring - the white one in my photo above. Lightening hammer springs can lead to misfires.

Ed

10. turbobike

turbobike Member

a heads up, these trigger kits are NOT from the same famous "Timney" triggers that are offered here for sale. These kits are from different "Timney" company that specializes in rifle trigger groups.

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Average Ed: OOPS, Sorry, my mistake the white sear spring in your picture IS the one I re-worked, just been many years ago & brain wasn't working when I made my reply. My apologies. Ross Puls

12. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I installed this kit along with a new hammer spring....... Wow what a difference!! No more creep and the new hammer spring made a distinct change in lock time, although I haven't shot the gun it seems to be worth every penny-Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1100 timney trigger fix and extra power hammer spring
remington 1100 timney trigger

remington 1100 trigger upgrade

remington 870 reduced power sear spring
remington 870 trigger fix
timney remington 870 trigger fix
timney trigger fix remington 870

timney trigger for 1100