1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Timing off on Shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Blakester, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

My Son shot his first 25 straight last Saturday ended up with a 91 he was so happy and I was for him, then we went back on Monday evening and he couldn't do a thing so disgusted I'm talking 10's and 11's we adjusted we tryed everything we knew, so last evening we started again same thing he broke 10 out of 50 getting worse, so his coach decided his timing was off and yes, he his a one-eyed shooter so he told him to hold down on the roof of the trap house I mean a foot down we're his timing would change. You know, he started smoking them birds he broke 46 out of 50 this evening so were back on it again for the Grand, I didn't know there was so many hurdles in this sport but I guess thats what keeps us coming back. Just wanted to let you guys here this story it was sad for a 12 year old for a while around here but he's smiling now..
    Becarful traveling to the GRAND; Ricky

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Holding low on the house is what usually works best for a one eyed shooter. Stay with what works. HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Blakester- I have suffered the same problem many times and it had nothing to do with my "timing", whatever that is.

I clearly remember my first 100 straight in a 200 bird race. I believed I finally had the game figured out and because I knew what I was doing, I didn't have to work as hard on the next 100. That attitude caused me some embarrassment.

Many targets later I am still trying to learn the following: 1. Doing well on one post does not mean i will do well on the remaining posts. 2.Shooting a 25 on one field does not mean I will shoot a 25 on the next three fields. 3. Smashing the first 99 birds does not mean I will shoot 100 (I have missed the last bird for a 99 twice).

I need to learn how to think only about the next bird. Nearly everyone talks about shooting this game as one bird at a time. But, nobody can tell me how to accomplish this. Today, if I can run the first 90 birds, I am supposed to tell myself not to think about shooting 100. But, the more I tell myself not to think about that, the more I think about it.

Using one style of shooting, your son shot a good score. The next time, using the same style, he did not do well. This suggests to me that it was not a problem with the style of shooting, but a problem within his head.

Pat Ireland

4. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

You are Exactly Right: Whats working now has taken his mind off the targets only to think were he is pointing his gun for his call bird.... RICKY
    P.S. Leaving right now for the "Grand" see ya'll

5. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Congrats on his scores !!!! just let him keep shooting he's young and scores will go up and down don't put so much on him about his scores and they will become consistant. I to am a one eyed shooter. low and steady... low on the house don't move the gun and steady to the bird!! Good Luck most of all have fun!!!!

6. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I know this might be a really bad question but why shoot with one eye if you have 2 unless one doesn't work right.

7. rrose

rrose TS Member

Ricky
    I hope Blake shot well at the grand, please let us know how he did. He is a great kid and it is so cool that the 3 of you are able to travel and be together so much as a family. That is what life is about.
    I shoot 2 eyes open but I do my best when I hold the gun on the roof of the house even using both eyes. That is how I was shooting in KY and how I plan on shooting from now on. I just do not do as well holding a high gun.
    Did yo find a gun you wanted there?
    randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.