1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Timing of the Grand American

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

In between wheat and corn/soybean harvests.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

October would be problematic, as a lot of vendors, and some shooters, would have to choose b/w the Grand in Sparta, or World Skeet and/or World Sporting in San Antonio, which are back to back in early october...

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The hunting season? Many of these folks only shoot trap for a pastime waiting for the fowl to fly.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

In Oct kids would be in school and not available to work at the Grand is what I was told as to historically why it was held in the summer rather than the fall.

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Reguardless of where it is held I think the date needs to be relooked. Move it to cooler times. Yes there are issues with any move but come on guys, think outside the box for a change. JMO, Jake

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The Grand is like World Championship of Trap. The target year ends roughly two weeks later.

Why would anyone shoot the Championships in the beginning of the shooting year?

BTW Jake if it is moved to a cooler month you will be notified what events you will be working because the kids will be in school. Is that the kind of "outside the box" you were looking for.

Bob Lawless

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Every way you look at it there is a something wrong with later dates. Too late and no kids to work and fewer able to get out of school to shoot.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like to shoot when it is hot.

Pat Ireland

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

It certainly won't help promote a reason to shoot among the SCTP and AIM participants will it????

Bob Lawless

10. DanLee

DanLee Member

It's all location. Move the Grand to northern WI, MN, or the UP, and the temperatures in August will be delightful.

Dan

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

August in Hawaii....

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Bill, I like your out look, just what I was suggesting.

Pat Ireland, I too like the hot weather, my business depends on it. I work in the out doors in NE Fl and am better conditioned to handle "Hot" better than most. However there are many who may attend in cooler times than not. Its all good and I will attend regardless of time or location because it is the Grand. Jake, Bob Lawless, I am a volunteer and should assistants be requested I will. You?

13. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Jake - now that's a great idea and thinking outside the box. Everyone who shoots at the Grand volunteers 1 hour of scoring. Now that would be giving back to the sport.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I brought this same thing up last year. Both Skeet and Sporting Clays hold there World or Grands as it were in Oct. at the end of there Shooting Season. Its nicer to shoot and the kids have there Biggest shoot in the summer to allow parents to focus on the kid during his/her time. It makes perfect sense to me, even if you hold all three back to back in the same place to make it easier for the vendors. Or give the vendors a week or two to make it up to Sparta after. What's the problem. The NSSA AND NSCA figure clay target shooting season should end with winter approaching, as shooters are starting to gear up for shooting at some migrating birds at that time before they hang them up during winter months. The ATA can extend their end season to Oct. same as the other two no problem. The nicer weather may bring in more shooters, I know it would make it more enjoyable for not only shooting but to visit all the vendors as well. But it won't happen will it. My 2 cents. Break-em all. Jeff

15. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

If you held it in June the shooters in the northern states would be lucky if they had 500 targets shot. Snow doesn't leave until middle of April. Hotter the better. Glenn

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Lets face it, The average temp in Sparta is too hot for outdoor activities in August. With all the unemployment,adult help should be no problem. Might be more dependable. I have shot Sparta every year and must spend a lot of time in my auto with AC on. Target year dates can be easily changed. Skeet & Sporting Clay vendors don't usually set up at Trapshoots. Why not experiment? Why are so many not willing to change? What do we have to loose? What if it brought in more shooters! CED

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have an idea for all you whiners and wannabe changers.

Why not have everyone shoot at their home club when ever the weather is nice ... using 2 hole targets, and mail your scores in.

The EC won't have to run up traveling expenses ... and the winner gets last years shotgun from the President!

ahab_2008_030326.jpg

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Like the 12-15 thousand dollars for a new shotgun every year for the president could totally pay for some nice property with a building that the ATA could own!!! Meetings could be set at 1-3 of the 5 largest shoots every year so the members do not have to flip the bill for meetings as well. In other words follow the NSSA AND NSCA. Owning something would be GRAND at the GRAND would it not. Interest rates and propertys are at a all time low, and NOW would be a good time to start looking into it would it not. Anyone who wants to do good things for the ATA should not have to be BRIBED with a shotgun to do the job, he/she should WANT TO DO IT and already have a favorite shotgun. I may only be in the ATA for 5 years but I'm not blind. There I said it. My 2 cents. I do like Frank and have known him for about 4 years. He can run a buiness and make money at it. Lets see what he can do!!! Break-em all. Jeff

19. scdrch

scdrch TS Member

Being a youth shooting coach, it definitely would be tougher to have the AIM and SCTP as well as the ATA youth shooters at a shoot this large after school has started and here in MO many of us have our teams shooting FFA and 4h shoots on the weekends so that doesn't fit into the equation either.

Trying to attract young people to the sport is hard enough without changing the dates to make it even more inaccessible. If you want to make the sport grow we need the involvement of the youth and at the same time we can pick up some of their parents also.

For this reason leave it alone.

JMHO,
    Dean

20. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

As far as the vendors, what about Kolar, Krieghoff, Perazzi, Blaser, Beretta, Browning, Winchester, Remington, Federal, ect? They all attend the major skeet/sporting/trap shoots, and I doubt each company has more than one "team" that attends these shoots to display, sell, and repair... A few smaller vendors overlap, but almost all of the largest ones certainly do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.