1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to plant

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Going to be 74 here in Idaho today. Tilled my garden yesterday ( 100 X 35) and will plant green onions and radishes today. Have 40 pepper plants and some Kale & Basil started in the greenhouse. Love this time of year.

2. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

This last weekend Kathleen and me pruned 1150 Malbec grape vines. I felt bad cutting them back but gotta do it! We planted them last spring, we will put a couple more acres next year.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

It was 64 last Saturday so I tilled up part of my garden spot. Tuesday I planted a row of onions and a row of peas. The plan for today was to plant another row of peas but the temp this morning is 20 degrees! Welcome to Indiana. I was always taught to plant potatoes on Good Friday, but if the ground isn't frozen I'm going to plant some this weekend on St. Pat's day.

In the early 80s I lived in Nevada, and loved it. The plan was to always move back, but now I don't think I could leave my garden behind. I've worked too hard to get to where it is now. I got blackberries, peach, apple, pear tree, English walnut, black walnut, pecan, hickory, hazelnut, chestnut trees. Then you add in the vegetables I raise. Compared to most people I spend very little on food, most of mine comes from the garden. I guess that is one thing Indiana weather is good for - plants like it. I just wished I liked the Indiana summer (heat and humidity) as much as my tomato plants. LOL

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

OK you guys,

I'm in Michigan (Detroit) and there is still spotty snow on the ground and the ground is still frozen. I'm jealous.

Chuck

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Be a little longer yet here in northern MI. Neighbor did this snow dog in my yard last week. Bill
    [​IMG]

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The wife just started 300 mater plants in the hot boxes, pepper, cabbage, the whole shooting match, I need to drag the sweetcorn patch, will plant another acre of it this year

I have no idea why we still have a freezer full of it, guess we just like raising stuff

I am pretty good at raising cane

7. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Couple of months yet before putting anything in the ground around here.

8. cubancigar2000

I put out 4 rows of radishes, two rows of green onions, some turnips and the rest ( basil, thyme, oregano ) went into pots in the greenhouse today

9. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Lemon Cucumbers and Cucuzza are in the ground!

milt

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Trying to snow here in southern Albetrta...most gardens here don't get planted until the 3rd weekend in May...when the soil temp is high enough to get things germinated...

11. cubancigar2000

Milt, cucuzza is a new one on me, looked it up and it looks like a zuchinni

12. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Lou, it's very popular amongst Italians. Vanna White (Wheel of Fortune) is a hobby gardner and this is her favorite veggie. Need a tall fence to grow on...they will grow indefinately. Large elephant type leaves with big white flowers all over. Hand pollenate for best results.

PM me your address and I'll send you some seeds (I have thousands). Very unique and fun to grow and the most nutty tasting squash you ever ate. Must peel outer skin and harvest when 16 to 20 inches long.

milt

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ok you guys quit rubbing it in. I took this picture Monday morning. We are buried. 4 degrees the last two mornings. Oh ya I am on the balmy southern shore of Lake Superior.

<a href="http://s126.beta.photobucket.com/user/billgrill/media/DSC02175_zps580a6201.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Lake effect snow eh Bill?....bummer...

Ron

15. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here in NJ we plant peas, onions, and potatoes on St Patrick's day.

Ed Yanchok

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Just got the seed starting stuff and the grow lights out of the shed. We still have frost in the ground, won't till and add compost until April 1st.

Going to start some new heirloom tomato seeds this year. Myself and some friends of mine, save our heirloom seeds and trade them. With a nice spring I'll have them in the ground by the first of may, but you know that.

Wayne

17. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Good to plant some veggies and sit back with a few cold drinks here in the west. My Pops in GA has weeded all of his planter boxes and is getting ready for some beans and tomatoes and my favorite okra.

18. cubancigar2000

I lost a few gardens in Indiana Wayne - I learned to wait until Mothers day. Out here I am safe now but I am waiting two weeks

19. tachyon

tachyon Member

We have snow on the ground. A few warm days to tease us followed by some days below freezing. The peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, eggplant are growing in the greenhouse. Last frost is typically during the first week of May. The raspberries are starting to green already. Will plant some things before last frost. Will eventually have radishes, peanuts, lettuce, onions, garlic, potatoes peas and beans in addition to the stuff started in the greenhouse.

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Probably a bit too early to plant our warm season grasses in NJ. However, we did burn today in preparation for planting. In the next couple of weeks we hope to till the areas to be planted and get the seed in.

Since it is a grass it only needs to make ground contact and does not need to be "turned in" although it can tolerate beind buriod about 1 inch. We usually us a "drag" to insure ground contact. Although these native grasses are supposed to need no fertilizer, we have found that if we do fertilize initially, we get a much better result. After the grasses are established in the first year, we don't seem to have to fertilize again.

These grasses are great for holding birds and hampering hawks and Owls if planted in the right "thickness" - not too thick and not too thin.

These grasses serve another purpose and that is to serve as fuel when we burn next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.