1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for winter exercises!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Helpful hints for staying in shape when not shooting in winter.....this goes with threads on dieting for health which has been covered pretty thoroughly on TS.Com. These ideas are only a few things helpful if you don't plan to be firing your shotgun this winter.

1. It is important for good health if you have a pillow that fits you when sleeping. So go to professional pillow fitter, not just to anyone like a clerk in Walmart, a good POS(peace of sleep) will give you the rest so you will literally jump out of bed each morning!

2. Balance is important in any shooting sports and can be practiced each morning and a good way to do that is to stand on one foot while placing your other foot down your trouser leg. This exercise needs to be preformed until both feet are in each pant leg! If you fall down, you must repeat this exercise until you are successful....leaning against the dresser is prohibited!

3. Deep knee bends are very good exercises and a good way to practice this is bend over and tie each shoe lace. Do once for each foot every morning and you will be ready for the day. Slip on shoes are called cheaters when doing this exercise and aren't allowed, especially the shiny ones with two little tassles!

4. Walking is good for you, so park quite aways away from the handicap zone as possible and combine breathing exercises while walking like whistling, it is permitted if you are enjoying whistling to continue even after you enter the establishment you were seeking no matter how many people give you dirty looks. They are just not as happy or as healthy as you are going to be in the future.

5. A good exercise which helps improve your shooting scores can be done in the comfort of your "Lazyboy recliner" in front of the TV. Take the remote in your dominant hand and surf the channels, this is a splendid exercise which can be preformed to the amazement of all the others in the room that are trying to watch a their favorite program. Just explain that you are only exercising for some big future shoots.

6. Only one more for now and that is to build your leg muscles by standing up after you finish eating without using the assistance of your arms and hands on the table while rising. Tip: it helps if you push your chair back from the table before arising. Courtesy Tip: always ask "May I be excused?"

So there you are a little help on being healthy, keep up the good work on dieting, you know I do! Biff

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Biff. What happended to the "Bowflex"?

3. biff

biff Active Member

Jack, I didn't want to get into the "Mental Imagining" aspect of winter training, but I'm glad you have brought this up at a timely time!

Mental imaginary has been used for many years and has shown to be successful through scientific experiments in sports such as free throw shooting in basketball and batting training for baseball, so it can be used successfully with your Winter Exercise program also.

I have been successfully using my Bowflex lately using the mental imagining method....here's how it works for me. As I walk past my Bowflex I look at it and remember the workouts I used to do expending energy and time, but with my new method all I had to do is remember and imagine doing it! I walk away feeling fit and have saved all that time, which I use doing the same thing with my gun mounts....I just have to look at my Ljutic leaning in the corner and imagine doing 100 gun mounts in just a glance! Works everytime!!!

I have a Canadian friend who used the Mental Imagining exercises with her Terry Jordan Wall chart, all she ever did was to just glance at it as she walked by it and is now well on her way toward becoming Canadian Women's Champion!!!

Jack, Imaginining can be a powerful tool and in your mind you can shoot a Grand Slam and never have to leave home to do it! Keep working on it as it is easy to master! Biff

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I like to stay in shape and my daily exercises consist of getting out of the bed, stretch which is very important, jog to bathroom, take a cool down walk to kitchen to get daily coffee and cranberry juice while reading the news ... Later in morning jog to bathroom again, shower, shave, deposit, then a cool down walk to the living room to watch some more news ... Think about dinner (ordering or cooking) and then ponder those thoughts until I jog out to the mail box and retrieve the mail, jog back to house and cool down walk back to living room, relax until dinner time and then consentrate on the evening news and a few shows before jogging back into the bedroom for a good nights sleep ... On some days I include bowling or going to the club and shooting a few rounds and or scoping out a new place to eat which is always fun ... This is really important as we get older and will help keep us in shape for many years to come or not ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

I want to to know what happened to your pogo stick?

6. 27 yrdz

27 yrdz TS Member

do those include a bottle of Crown Royal ? ............if so I've already started .....

7. biff

biff Active Member

Jim, I'm glad you mentioned the Pogo stick. Actually I'm giving it a break at this time , but did pickup another one to keep it company while I am shooting my slingshot and looking at the bulleyes I mentally shoot with my compound bow. I'm getting pretty good and am becoming a legend in my own mind. Reading WPT's daily activities log just about wore me out and have had to take several breaks just thinking of his strenous routine, Bill just how can you pack that much activity into just one day! Wow! Biff

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Biff,

I know it sounds like a lot and it is but once you dedicate yourself to fitness and staying in shape nothing is too much and you get used to it in time ... I need a nap ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Spent last night chasing the Wild Turkey around the garage! Caught it, then hit it with a slpash of coke!...gonna be out and about today, may even shoot at the white targets that we throw at the club, 'cause there ain't any clouds out today, may wear tennie runners, cause I don't want to sunburn my toes when I wear my sandals...Yup, Southern California is good for one thing..THE WEATHER..Have fun in the snow...I like to travel to Wyoming and Colorado this time of year chasing deer and elk, I'll be up to my ears in the white stuff Thanksgiving in Texas shootin White Tail.... :)

10. biff

biff Active Member

I'm about to give up! Been following WPT's exercise program and not only am I worn to a frazzle but I've gained 3 pounds in the process! Just this afternoon since it was really nice, I picked up my rake 3 times before I finally hung it up while thinking how pretty the leaves DO make my yard look! Gives the little animals a place to hide all winter! Biff

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

All the exercise you need to do is cut firewood. Lift the chain saw. Cut down a tree. Cut the log into sections. Split the sections up. Load the fire wood. Stack the wood. Feed the fireplace or woodstove. You have now worked all the body parts you need to.

12. biff

biff Active Member

Auctioneer, I will look forward to getting that type of workout and for free, what time will you be over to do my tree? Whew, I tired just thinking about watching you!! Biff

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Biff,

You have to know when to modify the program I described or you can get over worked and run down, until you get in really good shape and are used to it ... Remember "round" is a shape no matter who says otherwise and as always beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ... I have lost enough weight to know that I have two feet because I saw them ... lol ...

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I've started my annual exercise program..I bought a new sweat suit. Maybe next month I'll start using it, maybe. Tonight, I'm having a debate with Jack Daniels.

Big Jack

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a shed that has three bays. They are 10x12x7. They hold 7 cords each. I have two bays that are empty at this time so I have to put 14 cords in the shed this year. I hope I have that already cut up and waiting for splitting. I do this by myself or I should say the three of us. Me, Myself and I. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

workouts for trapshooters