1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for the ATA to buy Sparta?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Heap, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

"Everything should be on the table to solve Illinois budget crisis."

Illinois has a $9 billion budget deficit and is looking at all options to raise cash. Now is the time for the ATA to step-up and make an offer for the portion of the Sparta site we need to operate a trapshoot.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

?????Not working???????????

3. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Can someone or something buy a state park

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sarah Palin will be the ATA's lead negotiator for the buyout.

Curt

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Cost, if it were on the market, would be well over $150,000,000. We have around 35,000 active trapshooters. Does anyone have a calculator handy?

Pat Ireland

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pat,

At 6% interest, that's only about $50 a month for the next 10 years for each one of those 35,000 active ATA members.

Sounds like a bargain to me.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

How much revenue did the site generate for the state?

Since the area is mined out and was a wasteland before the present facilities were developed, the only way to value the property is to assign a rate of return. The $150,000,000 stated above might be a tad high. Growth prospects in this economy are dim to put it politely.

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Maybe the ATA could use the "Relocation Fee" they charged for years to make a down payment!

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Mark...now that's a good one.

I still have the grand books with the relo fee in the events pages.

As the ATA moved to a "State" owned facility and the relocation fee was non-existant...shouldn't the shooter's receive a rebate?

Just a thought.

Curt

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I wouldn't want Sparta even if they were having a fire sale with sub-prime financing available from Fanny Mae.....

There's no reason to make a second poor decision on the location of the Grand.

1st poor decision: moving to Sparta.....

Back to the Future: OHIO

11. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

How about if and I say IF the State of Illinois gifted the property to a 501c3 corp. for the reasons stated in our by-laws.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

$150million Pat? How did you divine that figure? Not that it makes any difference since the ATA couldn't buy it if if was $15million.

13. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Silly thing like that happen in government operations , don't they???

14. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Curt

Do you know how many years they charged the fee?

Mark

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

daddiooo---The way i see it is Ohio made the first GOOD decision in that they didn't care enough about the Grand to build a facility like the state of Illinois did. Now lets just keep crying about the bad decision to move to the place that did care enough to build for the Grand. Its just like the shooters from Ohio that love the Grand so much when its in their back yards but now could care a less about it when its in somebody elses back yard. What about the people that came to your back yard all those years? You people can't give the Grand that same respect now. Shame on you. You don't care about the ATA or the Grand, you care about it being close to your house. Now that its gone you don't care anymore. I'm not calling out all Ohio shooters because i have talked to alot at Sparta that did care enough about the ATA and the Grand to travel to our back yard. Maybe some should learn from others.----Matt

16. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

###### AMEN MATT #####

jpark

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Move it to Michigan or Ohio. It currently seems to be in anti-gun country.

18. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Matt,

I agree with what you're saying for the most part. Ohio should have made far more effort to salvage an event that put $14 million in the local economy in a span of 2 weeks. I live in Atlanta and it was 521 miles to Vandalia or 518 miles to Sparta so the distance is a moot point. Ohio had more shopping and infrastructure for wives and family members that don't shoot not to mention the huge selection of restaurants within 15 minutes of the event. Weather was somewhat better in Ohio. I'm sure the tent vendors are happy with Sparta.(NOT) But as shannon391 points out it's in one of the most gun unfriendly places in the nation. I have a 10 year camping lease in Sparta so I'll be going regardless. I just don't think the ATA did their due diligence before making a site decision. There were better offers. ie: Indiana, to name just one.

But none the less, hope to see all of you at the beer tent in Sparta one evening.

Dave

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Mark...

Three years I think.....not totally sure. Will have to locate the books and see.

Curt

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The relocation fee-based relocation fund, as noted in the official minutes and here any number of times, was used to purchase Pat-Traps which were necessary to the relocation. There's no scandal here. Mark and Curt; the funds were fully accounted for.

There was a proposed site in Indiana, and there was considerable offered help from the state and Shelbyville itself. The main problem was that it was not one piece of land; in the center was "the Batten Farm" which was not for sale. A second problem was that we did not have close to enough money. Sparta cost between ten and twenty times what we could possibly have spent.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.