1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for me to get automate have a few questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Due to health issues I have decided to send one of my 2 9000 to Mec to have them install the automate. Right now I have one set up for win aa and the other 9000 is set up for all sts and nitros. I found that it was easier to have the 2 set up like this becasue I contined to have problems with the charge bar locking up when I would try aa and rems on the same loader. The base wad on the rem is just a tad lower and when the rem shell got into the station that dropped the powder the charge bar would lock up and I would have to release it by hand it was a pain.
    So my question to you Mec 9000 guys can you load win AA and Rem sts and nitros on the same loader without having to tinker with adjustments. That would allow me to sell the other loader. I want to be able top load those shells without a hassel using the auto mate. Thnks for the help

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have loaded almost nothing but Remington hulls on my MECs but many years ago, a friend gave me a barrel of once-fired AAs that the widow of one of his shooting friends asked him to dispose of. I noticed the basewad was slightly higher in the AAs, so I did adjust my primer seating/powder drop tube as well as my crimp die a little while I was loading them but I often see posters on here saying they load both hulls without changing anything.

Actually, I didn't think the AA shells I loaded before I adjusted my loader for them were hateful looking - the crimps were just a little more shallow than the ones on my Remington hulls, so I do think you could get by without changing anything. There probably is a "middle ground" set of adjustments you could use for both hulls.

Ed

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Recommend that you NOT convert a 9000 but buy an entirely new reloader that has been built for the automat. Went through HELL trying to convert one last year. Had to send it back to MEC twice for repairs. You will be happier with an entirely new system.

TB

4. striper

striper Member

Let me understand. You are saying that if I send one of my current 9000 to MEC and they factory install it that I will have lots of trouble? They told me they will make all the necessay adjustments to my 9000. Why would a new one be any better if they had gone over mine and it was working. Just asking the questions becasue I do not want to have lots of mechanical issues. I am not a wizzard mechanics. I have been able to tweak my 9000 to get proper loads but that about it! THe most obvious answer is just load one type of shell which would be the Rem but I have thousands of both types and would like to do both but maybe that is the safest way to go. New or send one of mine to them that is now the big question. Give your opionion guys.

5. glenns

glenns Member

I load STS, Nitro, and AA's (red & grey) on my 9000G without changing the settings. Some of the crimps on the red AA's are not the best - as noted above a little shallow (take it to mean that I can see a part of a shot but shoots fine).

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Striper, I converted a new 9000GN to a 9000E and connected it to a new AutoMate II with no difficulty. The conversion took less than an hour (I didn't time it, so I can't say exactly how long it took) and I've not had problem #1 yet.

Having said that, there are a few people who have said the project was very challenging, so I guess if you aren't mechanically inclined, sending it to MEC for the conversion might be best avenue to take. I see no reason why they cannot set it up to work perfectly with an AutoMate.

Ed

7. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

I had the same experience as AveragEd but mine was a used 9000G that I had acquired. No problems from the conversion at all.

Now another advantage of sending it to the factory would be to have them perform a general maintenance checkup. Things like Replacing any worn out parts and tweek things back to spec. BTW - I LOVE my Automate. JMO John in Iowa

8. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

TBaber & striper,

Good thread. I own two 9000GN's and considered having one of them converted to a 9000E, similar to what Ed did. Others are also skeptical and have reported several problems with the conversion though. So, my next thought was to buy both units (an Automate with the 9000E already atop it) together. I asked Dale Gourlie from MEC about this same thing at the Ohio State Shoot. His advice was to send MEC one of my loaders and have them set it with the new Automate. He also recommended that they be allowed to go through my loader first to ensure that everything is functioning correctly beforehand. Dale COULD have told me to buy both, but he didn't. He also mentioned that MEC could do the same thing at the Grand American next month, but I am not attending. So, come deer season, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and send one of my loaders to MEC for the conversion.

PS - Keep your eye on the primer though! Even Dale had one fail to drop and he missed it and.....well you know the rest of the story.

Respectfully,

Jon Reitz

9. RJ

RJ TS Member

In the mid 70's on into the late 80's. I loaded Rem's, AA's and Fed Papers with no change other that the crimp starter. I would do the same now but when I shoot up the AA's I have loaded now it will not be but one to two more load times and they are out. This is because of the base wad that crops up ever now and again. I have over 5000 Rem Nitro 27's loaded and love them because they are what the old AA's were. I wish I had either 10,000 more Rem Nitro 27's or 10,000 of the old AA's. I guess the old addage goes "Wish in one hand and pile dirt in the other and see which one gets full the fastest". My mother had an addage she would say if she overheard someone say I wish. "If wishes were dishes we would have a house full" (Rich.inAZ.orinnameonly)

10. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

Striper, I recently purchased an automate and mounted my 9000g to it . After some slight adjustments I am cranking out the rounds. My machine was always able to load either aa ,sts, or nitros. Now it is just alot easier.
    I ordered an additional link kit along with it and have set up my 20 ga 9000g as well. It takes about 20 min. to do the change over . As always keep an eye on the primer drop !!! Good Luck ,Jim

11. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I converted my old 9000 to the electric and it was a real adjustment problem -- every thing on it had to be adjusted just a little. Now the good news, I loan STS, Nitro, and AA all on the same setting with the same wad AA 12 clone and they all make good crimps. All you would have to do to add junk hulls to the system is adjust the wad seating bar a little to accomodate the Federal type wads needed in the straight hulls. the beav

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.