1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for an EITA?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vatrap, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Active Member

If things don't work out at the Grand, like we think it should, is it time for an Eastern International Trapshooting Association?
    Perhaps VA, MD, PA OH, and up the coast to NY? the majority of the trapshooter live in that area and we could have our "Grand" at Elysburg or Cardinal.
    I was a state association officer for 7 years in the ATA system, but what's going on now if it's true is beyond reason.
    PM me if you have serious inquires.

Mike

2. blacklab

blacklab Member

The ATA is killing itself.

3. zimmie

zimmie Active Member

u wont have to they are killing themselfs
    zimmie

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

I would rather see the cancer cut out than have the patient chopped up in little pieces Mike. Don't for a minute believe that EITA or PITA or CITA would be immune to the issues that have been raised about the ATA EC after all we don't import these folks from the moon. We grow them in our respective Zones and allow their actions to go unchallenged or unregulated or uncorrected because WE (Including myself) are just glad we are not "stuck" with the job. In fact truth be known WE probably encourage some of the slippage to make the job attractive.

If it's illegal STOP IT.

If it's a "hole" in the By Laws FILL IT.

If members at any level abuse the position REMOVE THEM.

The last thing we need to do is split the ATA.

Just my personal opinion as an ATA member

--- Chip King ---

5. blacklab

blacklab Member

First, to do what you say, would take a vote of the BOD. I like what you say, but I don't think this board will step up and take action.

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well ya dont have to reup your membership or go to registered shoots. I myself am not impressed with the system. So I may or may not rejoin, or maybe I will just go to small shoots where the people shoot their respective scores for their classes no 195s or better in D or C classes. Hard to say may even just stick to leagues but its my choice to do which ever I choose BUT unless you can take over the whole ATA system ya either gotta deal with it or walk away.

I know I am not driving from NY to Sparta to shoot C class and have to shoot a 195 or better. They need alot of things changed, but like any business NO CHANGES GET MADE UNTIL THE PROFITS ARE HURT! Maybe if membership dropped off and there were nobody who shot less then 96-100 and play options and buy products or pay entries for everyone elses trophyies well someone may think about whats goin on.

Just a thought

Jerry Lewis

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't think you could win with a 95 in C class---If you shoot 100 you'll probably be in a shoot off----JMT---SJB

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I am with Chip King. I knew I liked you before, but even more so now. I do believe that anyone who has ever taken an advantage was probably handed it to him/her on a platter, and that doesn't just include the EC. You can probably even find an example of that at Winchester gun club if you look back honestly through the years.

I am wondering why Mike wants to split off the east coast and not include anyone else. I'm sure that there are people *everywhere* who are disappointed with the way things are going.

9. porky

porky TS Member

It dounds like a good idea to me. Where do I sign up.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

The Ata is a great organization. They just need to listen to the majority of it's members a little more.Believe it or not comments from Trapshooters.com can be very helpful for them.I do believe we should go back to three hole targets and or reduce loads to 1 oz loads. To many perfect scores and to many high scores in low classes. I believe this hurts the sport. I like the idea of 27 yard becoming a pro class if you can hold the average. Pro class shoots for it's own money. From what I see Cardinal Center is going to be the top shoot in the country. They can surpass all other shoots if the get the sponsors. The EITA is not a good idea. Anything the EIta can do the Ata can do better if they make changes in the EC.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

smsnyder- You seem to be suggesting that the 100 or so regular posters on Trapshooters.com represent the majority of shooters. Some of the regular posters do not shoot ATA targets and some others do not shoot trap. But, they know how our organization should be operated.

I enjoy talking with a lot of shooters over a relatively large geographic area. My impression about how the majority of shooters feel about the current situation is that they do not really care. Many do not know their Board of Directors representative and very few know their Zone President. All they want to do is drive into the parking lot, put some grease on their gun and shoot a good score.

smsnyder- do you know your state secretary, Zone President and CHC representative?

Pat Ireland

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Strange thinking... "Eastern" [US] and "International" in one organizational umbrella?

MK

13. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

What the hell difference does it make whether or not Earl knows his state secretary, Zone President and CHC representative? I totally agree with what he said about listening its membership. And remember this. Just because Obama and the rest of our government at all levels can take it out on us when it comes to making up the difference for their f-ups in government spending by raising our taxes and imposing unnecessary fees does not mean that the ATA can employ that same logic. The reason for that is simply because we can voluntarily walk away, and if you don't think people have done that, check the parking lots.

Vote responsibly.

Jon Reitz

14. smsnyder

Pat, not suggesting that at all. The power of the Internet can sometimes give us great ideas to improve the sport if we are open minded. I ran successful business for many years and always listen to my employees suggestions. I I used some of the ideas and some I didn't. You know something. I was successful because of those employees.

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

The power of the net can also drive U crazy---JMT---SJB---

16. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

How many ATA members even know there is a problem? How many know there is a Trapshooters.com. More ATA members need to be informed. I've been a member for approx. 40 yrs. and only found out about Trapshooters.com recently. Clyde Doll

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

All dues paying members of an organization should be allowed to vote. If they are present at the State shoot fine, but if not then by absentee ballot. The system needs a change. HMB

18. vatrap

vatrap Active Member

Recurvy,
    No intention of excluding anyone geographically, just the observing the real center of trapshooting participation is in that area. The Interstate Trapshooting Association would have a better ring to it and closer to our history, but I think we would have difficulty getting a pass to use it.

Chip,
    Normally I would agree with you, better to fix what we have than divide, however it would almost require a "poison pill" vote by the BOD/EC for it to happen. It normally takes someone 12 or more years to get elected delegate and continue to becoming ATA president. I expect most of the people inside the system have a vested interest in keeping it the way it is. Given the character of people that have left the governing body in the last couple of days, specifically Kenny Ray and Frank Rivley it speaks volumes about the future path of the ATA.
    I know both of them, Kenny Ray better than Frank, but intend to contact both in the next couple of days to find out what's actually going on.

General observations.
    Look through last years average book if you have one and calculate the percentages of members per class, then see where most of the decision makers fall in. Direct votes on major issues would rapidly change the balance of power in the ATA to the B/C shooters if they cared enough to vote, and that will not be allowed to happen in the current structure.

What actual ties do most of the registered trapshooters have with the ATA beyond central scoring and trophies at their state/zone shoot and $20 a year?

With a new organization all of the baggage of the past can be discarded and the members can vote directly for the rules they want to shoot by. In this age, rules and voting could be easily accomplished by electronic means or mailed ballots to the membership efficiently and responsively.

A new organization could easily keep the parts of the organization that the majority votes on and adopt new changes that would never get through the current BOD,

1oz. loads/no speed limits, shoot what you can stand- why not?

3 hole targets, strictly enforced.

Pro Class for anyone that accepts any kind of sponsorship, be it guns, shells or any direct payments. No reason to penalize anyone good enough to make it to pro class, just have them shoot against other pros for trophies and money and let the weekend warriors compete against each other for amateur trophies.

The only thing stopping it from happening is the willingness to challenge the theory that the ATA is the only game in town?

Mike

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Until 3 wks ago I never thought there was any trouble with the ATA---I just knew there wern't that many shooters in my area that really cared much about the ATA---Just took them for granted as a good organization there to help the sport---I hope it does survive---It has been our back-bone---In these troubled times we need to stick together best we can---Just remember there are a lot of little dogs out there that never are heard---We just want to go out and shoot
    and enjoy our sport---I think it's time to end this and get on with life---
    JMT---George@SJB---

20. smsnyder

vatrap, very well spoken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.