1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for an adjustable comb or time for a new gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BELGIBOY, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

After shooting 200 rounds at the Buffalo Gun Club yesterday, my face hurts. It seems like I have to push my delicate features too hard in on the stock to get the proper sight picture with 2 eyes open. I also noticed that I began moving the buttstock more to the left (I'm right handed) so it's almost pushing in my chest rather than shoulder. My average is creeping up though so I'm thinking I'm on the right track.

My gun is a Browning Ultra XT, I have been using it since I started being serious about this whole trapshooting thing 1 1/2 years ago. I average about 92-94/100 and I'd like to get better. I can't practice as much as I want but then again, who can?

Here are my options the way I see it:

1) Put an adjustable comb and pad on my Browning. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it's got better than usual wood. Could anyone give me a ballpark number on how much that should cost me? Who should I turn to in the MN-area?

2) Buy new Browning Cynergy with adj. comb. I love the look of these and I know where I can get one for roughly the price of an adj. comb XT. I don't know anything about the mechanical or shooting advantages of the Cynergy over the XT. It's probably a subject that has come up here before, but if somebody could enlighten me, that'd be much appreciated. I would have to sell my Ultra XT in this case.

3) Sell kidney, buy Perazzi/CG/Krieghoff/Kolar/682/etc... I have great kidneys. I can drink water from the Gulf and it will come out Evian. They should fetch premium dollar.

Anyway, all advice is more than welcome. I'm here to learn. Thanks in advance.

Steven

2. arend003

arend003 Member

For Stock work I would go to Tom Larkin www.thestockshop.net in Kenyon he did both mine and my wife's combs and great work.
    Tom

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

After going through what you are I sold Kidney and got me a Kolar Max T/A combo and could not be happier. I bought and sold 4 other combo's before sucking it up and getting this one. I wished I would have purchased it a lot sooner. It would have saved me a lot of money but remember, the gun has to fit you. Shoot as many as you can to make sure it is right for you.
    Good luck!

4. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

@ Tom: The link you provided gives an account suspended message. Do you have a phone nr?

@ Fred: I hear what you're saying. I shoot cheap Wally World Federal no8, you are absolutely spot on with that. I did pattern my gun with that and I got a very nice 60/40 distribution, which is why I keep using it. I am willing to invest in better shells but money is unfortunately an issue.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Kind of ignore hard ass Fred he thinks everyone has money to burn.

Check with Tom Larkin and excellent man but on the road a lot.

Check with Tron on this site who does combs usually in the $150 range.

You might want to add a pitch spacer in front of your pad. Pitch will give you face recoil. A possible cheap solution and may be needed along with a adj. comb.

A gun fiting sessions with the The Country Gentleman or Keith Heeg also might be worthwhile. Personally I don't like self help books on the topic.

Adding a Adjustable comb adds to the value of your gun and expands who might want it if you sell it(fits more people).

Don

6. missemucho

missemucho Member

I went thru the choices you outline and added the adjustable comb and butt pad to my XT. I used Graco, simply because most gunsmiths use their hardware and they're true professionals.
    In my experience, an XT is a gun you either like and shoot well or you think they're a fence post. However, they seldom break and are the perfect mid-level (sorry sarge, it's not an entry level in the opinion of most) gun to start with. I've decided to keep mine until it becomes obvious to me that it's the gun that's holding back my progress into "big dog" status. So far the gun has avoided the trading block. Since I've had it I've seen shooters go thru a progression of higher and higher priced guns with little or no long term improvement in their scores.

Use some of the money you save to buy a reloader and load shells that will get the job done without beating you to death. JMHO.
    John

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

All the above replies are good, however why not first buy a book on Stockfitting.

Not to endorse anyone but Rollin has good information that will help you before you choose a stockmaker.

Regards.....Gerald

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Based on what you're telling us about your scores, you are at the point where you must add an adjustable comb. If you buy a new gun you will either have it custom fitted or buy it with an adjustable comb or you will have the same trouble you have now.

The comb will not fix your cheek slap issue. You might be able to adjust your pitch issue by installing a Kick Eez Rocker pad.

I've had combs installed by both Graco Corp and Tron. I like Tron better. Both will charge about the same and do quality work, but I like the contact I had with Tron better.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

First you need to understand WHY Then you need to understand HOW to fix the problem . Look for a good stock Fitter .

You can buy a self help book but can you really understand it ??

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I shoot a shotgun that is thought by many to be truly entry level.

I have shot scores at both ends of scale, really good and really bad.

But I also have a deal with the gun

When I can truly say, that bird should broken, and it didn't I will get a new shotgun.

So far the shotgun has broken many birds when I can, say I did something wrong and should have missed, and I cannot claim that it came close to missing A bird I was truly on.

As I have gained experrience It has been changed to grow with me and I am enjoying shooting all the more.

So make the changes that will keep comfortable with YOUR shotgun and when you get to the point where you decide to make a change you will KNOW by feel and probably half of that with your eyes closed if a shotgun is THE ONE FOR you!

Al Lingham

11. arend003

arend003 Member

umm wonder why the link didn't work but Tom Larkins phone numbers are:
    shop 507-789-5523 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              507-789-5523      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    cell: 507-254-4694
    Cell: 507-838-5318
    address 121 Gates AVe.,m, Kenyon MN 55946
    if you try and call use the cell numbers as he is currently at the Wisconsin State shoot.
    Tom

http://thestockshop.net/
    Worked for me

12. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

I would love to try a high end trap gun but I'm always intrigued by the comment "Shoot as many different guns as you can and pick the one you like best". How am I going to do that? I don't see myself walking up to somebody with a $5000+ Perazzi/Kolar/whatever and ask if I could shoot a round or two with it. Even somebody I know... Not to mention that the gun in question would probably be set up for the owners' face. Messing with that would probably get me shot.

Steven

13. arend003

arend003 Member

BELGIBOY Come out to the Osceola rod and Gun club I know a few Perrazi owners who would let you try out their guns, I wold but they all shoot right handed and I am lefty.

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

A session with Tom Larkin will be the best money you've ever spent: a) your gun will fit and b) your gun will fit and c) your gun will fit. Those are the three most important things to shooting a good score.

Your Browning is just fine for killing any skeet you can see, and after a year or so of shooting a gun that fits, plus trying lots of other guns ... you can start investing in another gun, if you want to.

Generally, shooters will fall all over themselves to let you handle, shoulder and even shoot their guns.

There at Buffalo, you're at Kolar central. Tell John Farrell (behind the grill) you want to shoot his. That's a start.

Plus, this was mentioned earlier, but I'll emphasize it: the sooner you get to re-loading (even if it's on a single-stage machine), the sooner you can get better, cheaper, softer, easier loads than any wally-world.

Keep at it.

Bob

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Me thinks Fred got beat by a Browning and he's still just a little PO'd about it -:))

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The adjustable comb is really for changing where the gun shoots. If you are uncomfortably cranking your body around to get the gun on target then the adjustable comb may help you with the recoil sensation. This isn't an expensive modification or one you will regret and I can tell you that Tron (Jow Bowles) does exceptional quality work in that area. Check out his web site tronspace.com. This is a feature you will want on whatever trap gun you end up with.

As far as the gun biting your cheek, a little added weight in the butt and up front will help that alot.

I would work on getting that XT shooting like you want and use the money that you didn't spend for a higher end gun on ammo and targets. That is the best way of improving scores that I know of. Also some professional coaching is usually money well spent, take a clinic from Phil Kiner if you ever get the opportunity.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, there is no reason for you to have to sell your current gun period!!!!!! Now that said you will need to get a adj. comb and maybe a adj. butt plate as well. A good stockfitter will have to fit you to see what you need. It will run about $200-$250 for each one. Now does recoil present any problems for you at all. If so their is a stock on the market called a PFS that will fit your gun. You can buy a used one in the $800 range. Only $600 a few years ago. It is totally adj. for lenth of pull,w/ built in adj. comb and butt plate. It will adj. the amount of recoil you want to take out as well. Their a excellent investment. Keep your old stock and if you ever want to sell off gun and PFS do so seperatly and you will lose no money. If you get a Adj. comb and then a adj. butt plate these can run you $400 to $500 and you will never sell it and get your money back in the long run. If you keep forever it will not matter one way or the other, but if you like sporting clays and want to use some of those 1,300 fps shells or more you will thank me over and over and over again. Best recoil device on the market today, and may help keep your head down!!! These will not fit the cynergy type brownings. You may also want to try the cyergy and see how you like the trigger as well. Some shooters do not like it, others are OK with it. Good Luck and break-em all. Jeff

18. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

Thanks for all the responses, they have been really helpful. Especially the one blessed soul who offered me a good price for my XT in a trade towards his K80... I had to decline and mop up the drool.

I'm leaning towards having an adjustable buttpad and comb installed. I checked out Trons' website and really like his proprietary hardware. However, his shop is in Michigan. I have a couple of good leads who are local (Larkin, Laib).

Is it smarter to use a local person who could help me with the adjustments of comb and pad after they are installed? Or is it not an issue if I send the buttstock/receiver out of state and ask somebody in Buffalo, MN to help me out with fitting it. I know there's plenty of knowledgeable people there.

Steven

19. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I would pull the receiver off of the stock prior to sending it. One is a firearm, the other is a chunk of wood.

20. arend003

arend003 Member

One other good Minnesota smith is Doug Baker in Backus goes by gundoctor who could do a search and find him
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.