1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for a recoil reducer??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frank C, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

After spending the winter fighting with neck issues, I am thinking that it is time for a recoil reducer....what will fit with/on a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon II (joel Etchen gun)that has an adj rib, and adjustable butt pad...looking for pros and cons- Frank C

2. C1

C1 Member

I wanted to know the answer to that very question so I hired a medium to contact Sir Isaac Newton. Sir Newton said to get a large John Deere tractor bolt and affix it to my gun in a spot that was handy. He said the bigger the bolt the more the recoil would be reduced. Ya got to go the the guy who wrote the law.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Frank,

First you need to decide how much you want to spend.

If you don't mind replacing your stock for a robot looking stock, the PFS is probably the most versatile.

I have a Rad II that Greg Hissem installed for me. It has alot of adjustment for both cant and length of pull as well as recoil adjustment. I went to it because of back and shoulder issues. Helped me out. This requires cutting some from the stock length. It also requires making the stock bolt hole larger for the hardware. As do with alot of the similar models.

Matt

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

The PFS is the best and most adjustable. I have a PFS grip for your gun that I have listed on here for $130.00 shipped to you...do your research.

JON

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have had rad 2 on two different guns. I did it mostly for the adjust ability more than the recoil. However the less recoil they produce is very nice also. Here are the three things that are a negative only if it pertains to you and your gun.#1= they are spendy. #2= they do add a little weight to the rear of the gun so it can change the balance of your gun. #3= you have to hack off at least 3/4" from your stock just to maintain your current LOP. If none of these are an issue to you then go for it because they are a nice addition.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a Ken Rucker bump buster on my Beretta, I am happy with it. My old Beretta has a Clyde slide I was happy with, but I do not know if it could be fit on a stock that already has ann adjustable comb. Good luck

7. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

The best recoil reduction system is a precision Fit Stock..Or you can shoot a Remington 1100 trap gun.The precision stock will fit your needs for a long time,It can make you gun do anything you want it to do.You can make the gun shoot as soft as you like..The lenght of pull adjustment will help your neck problems as you can adjust it so you don't have to change you neck position on the stock..You can shoot Heads Up and not strain your neck

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Frank C,

I'll try to help you a little here.

$500 or less: Ken Rucker's BumpBuster. It has a shorter travel distance than most, adds the least amount of weight, and is fully adjustable. The RAD 2 is nice, but too heavy for my taste.

$900 or less: G2 Shockmaster. This system is great and easy to adjust the tension. The comb moves with the pad so no cheek rub. Lots of options to suite your needs. Honerable mention is a Soft Touch. Nice system, but have to change springs to change tension. It is also a little heavier than the G2 system.

$1,500 and less: PFS. These are fully adjustable to suit any shooter. They are a great value and you don't have to alter your stock.

$1,500 and up: Contact Phil Simms and get one of his Pro-Soft stocks made. You'll have zero issues from there on out.

ss

9. RAScott

RAScott Member

Frank C i have a pfs in my safe if you would like to give it a try.It is the older version i believe i keep it so if my kids want to shoot i can give them a gun with a recoil reduser and a shoter leth of pull.

Also I know of a shooter with a CG and a release trigger that would probaly let you shoot his. He let me try his to see about a release. Wally has a gracoild i believe on his CG.

Bob S

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Frank C., I can certainly identify with your neck issue since having cervical AND back health problems for a lot of years myself. First off, use the heaviest gun you can possibly handle! After all, once it pre-mounted for trap targets, balance becomes null and void after about 17 years of trying the latest gimmicks! Any weight added helps no matter what form you add it to the gun. Some is quicker acting for dampening felt recoil, pick the quickest of all!! I have a drawer loaded with several commercial gimmicks that cost me a ton of money over the years and I now only use my own weights made with copper straight tubing filled with melted lead. By the time most commercial gimmicks do the splashing forward or a weight slams into a spring stop, your gun has already kicked you! Some are convinced by hearing the "boink" created in some spring models that it must be working? That's just not true at all! In order to continue shooting a competitive score once in a while, I had to find a solution that worked better for reducing the felt recoil and my heavy guns do just that!! Good luck!

Hap

11. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Hap what about a Soft Touch?? I have them on every gun I shoot even my Skeet gun.
    Don

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Frank, If you'd keep your snowmobile out of the brooks your neck and back wouldn't be bothering you. You're carrying this NH move too far. Spring is coming, otherwise known as the muddy season. :) Bob

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Don, any recoil reducing stock does help a lot and I also use them! I still add the weight which helps more also! If not for that my friend, I'd hafta quit shooting trap. I certainly didn't intend to imply that weight alone was the only answer. I shot the new Pro-Soft last week on my P gun and it is great for reducing felt recoil. So far, of all the recoil reducing stocks I've used and own, that Pro-Soft is the cats meow!

Hap

14. hydeal

hydeal Member

Frank C,

Below are a few photos I've installed my HPI recoil system on. One shows using the existing composite beretta comb hardware attached to the slide bar so not to put new holes in comb. If you are further interested in the system email me and I will reply with an updated price list with all options available.

Take care Frank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Frank - Perhaps we can be of help here. I have a long time customer who does a great deal of shooting every year, and has for many years. Shooting and hunting have been his life for a long time. He not only shoots clay targets, but goes on several hunting trips every year, including dove hunting in Argentina. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago he developed a problem with cervical stenosis, and could no longer shoot without experiencing a great deal of pain afterward, even when shooting light loads. He has been a long time user of our system and after some amount of experimentation he ended up solving the problem by having 1 3/8” high ribs installed on his guns, and having us make him similarly higher combs for all of the stocks, allowing him to shoot with his head basically straight up. He reports that this, along with the Shockmaster® system have completely solved his problem, and we have now done around 6 or 8 Perazzi’s and Krieghoffs for him. He also, as you will see in the photo has a soft comb on all of his guns, and says that this helps too. Because the very high profile combs did not look that great when completely covered with vinyl and padding, he came up with the idea of cutting off and padding just the top of the combs, leaving most of the comb still finished. The result is rather unique, and here you see it on a factory stock, which was not made originally with a high comb, but that had the high comb added by us afterward. We can do the same thing using your existing stock, again, simply by making a whole new (higher) comb with it. I know that everyone’s problems can be different, and what works for one does not always work for another, but I thought I’d throw this solution in so you and others know of it’s existence. I know that neck pain is not an uncommon problem for many shooters. Good luck to you in any case, I’m here if I can help. (760)788-8888 Mike

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies/ideas, thankfully, RAScott lives very close to me so I will start by taking him up on his offer to try the PFS......will go from there as I really don't like the look of the PFS and prefer wood, even if it cut!!

Bob Hawkes....time to move north and escape that god forsaken state of Taxachusetts!!

Stay warm, I am off to Indianapolis for a few days....I heard it was warmer there!! Frank C

17. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

If recoil is an issue... try some 1 oz. (or 1 1/8) loads at just over 1100 fps. For 16 yard targets, it may work for you.

18. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Had back and neck issues that were so bad I was adviced to stop shooting. Instead, I switched to a Beretta 391 and had Scott Hyde install his HPI system. With 7/8 oz loads, there was and is absolutely no recoil. That was five years ago and am still shooting 500 shells a week. FWIW. JM

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

JM---I was told that too. I got a different Doc. Just go find one that tells you what you want to hear. LOL

I'm joking of course.

Matt

20. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

I personally like the ISIS system and have three of them on different guns. However, I shot a buddy's gun the other day with a system called "HPI" and it was VERY nice! Worth a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 687 silver pigeon recoil reducer
best recoil reducer for 687 silver pegion
bump buster beretta 687

ken rucker bump buster vs soft touch