1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Time Change

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Sharp1, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

I hope everyone adjusted their clocks... Why do we do this anyway (DST)? I was once told it started years ago so kids wouldnt have to wait in the dark for the morning bus...Got to be more to it than that!

GL

2. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I never liked it. That extra hour of sunlight burns my lawn.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Google is your friend.

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

It really makes no sense and cost money. Getting home with more light left in the day means the air conditioner will work more.

Arizona does not change times. I was told rather indignantly by one gal - Who the hell wants to stay in this heat any longer than they have to!

Let's go green - don't change the clocks.

5. Kolar G

Kolar G TS Member

A Native American once said that only the government would think that if you cut the top portion off of a blanket and sewed it onto the bottom that the blanket would be longer...

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

Lit - Thanks, I always wondered what was up with my lawn. That was my first laugh out loud of the day.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

According to a google search

"The main purpose of Daylight Saving Time is to make better use of daylight. We change our clocks during the summer months to move an hour of daylight from the morning to the evening."

This is done because more people can use the daylight in the evening than in the morning.

Lit I doubt very much the last hour of daylight in the day is burning your lawn.

Bob Lawless

8. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I agree with Lit, his lawn burns with that extra hour in the summer; well, mine turns brown when I lose an hour of sunlight in November.

9. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Before I retired I really liked the DST as it gave me more daylight when I got off work in the evening to mow my acre of lawn!

Now that I am retired I could go either way. However, sometimes my "body clock" has difficulty adjusting to the change!

Allen

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

..........so you lazy pups 'll get out'a bed in the morning.

11. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

I like Daylight Savings Time: As far as I am concerned, we could be on it year-around and I would be happy.

Working people get up in the morning and go to work, and when the days work is done, there is still time for things; as this gives us time to do yard work, or go shoot trap with another hour daylight, or go fishing, play golf, etc, or hell, just stroll over to the Dairy Queen and have an ice cream.

YEA for DST!

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well with the recent change, we do get an extra hour in the evening that could be used for shooting trap..... not all bad I guess.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It gives more light to shoot trap without turning on the lights.

I loose weight because I can work outside after dinner, take the dog for a walk, yada-yada...

14. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I like daylight savings time. I can get in an hour or so of turkey hunting before I go to work.

15. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was told that it started during WWII. I'm 58, so what the hell do I know. But anyway, when we went to war in Dec. 1941, the time change was brought about sometime after that, so we could work more daylight hours, to produce more food to eat, produce more bombs, bullets, planes, rifles, tanks, so we could beat the hell out of the Japs, Germans, and Italians. Well, it worked. This country got together, like it has never done before, and probably won't do again, and KICKED SOME ASS. Sorry, about that. Anyway, I learned that in school, and it isn't taught anymore. But, that is the way I understand it. Charlie

16. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

CharlieAMA is correct. Daylight savings time was also known as War Time and was established in World War II.

Michael Stephenson

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just for the record Daylight saving time started during WWI not WWII in Germany in 1916 as a matter of fact.

During WWII the US made Daylight savings time into something else they called war time. It was established from February 9, 1942 to September 30, 1945. The law was enforced 40 days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor and during this time, time zones were called “Eastern War Time”, “Central War Time”, and “Pacific War Time”.

Bob Lawless

18. SBray

SBray Active Member

It is the government controlling our lives and having us jump through hoops. It should be put up for a vote in a general election. I bet it would not pass and we will be rid of it, once and for all!

JMHO,

Steve

19. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

OK, I'm sorry. I made a mistake. I apoligize. Regards, Chas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.