1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tikka T3 or Rem. 700

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

Guys, I need some opinions from Tikka T3 owners. I'm LH and looking to purchase a new .30-06. I currently have a Rem. M700 BDL in .308 Win but have a want for a .30-06. I'm torn btwn a beautiful wood stocked Rem. M700 or a SS synthetic (plastic) stocked Tikka T3. Both are the same price. Help me make a decision. Thanks in advance, Randy

2. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt TS Member

I love my T3 30-06. Very accurate and nice to shoot. I haven't had any issues with the several T3 I own and would highly recommend them. Mike

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm a lefty also so I know what you are going through when looking for a bolt gun. I use to be a big fan of the M700BDL LH guns but their quality is no longer what it should be. The Tikka is a much better gun. You may also want to look at the Browning A-Bolt Hunter left handed. I got one of those about 5 years ago and am very impressed with it. It outshoots most of the M700s that I own (excect the varmint specials)

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

T3 all the way. Sako stuff is beautiful, accurate, and a joy.

5. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks for the replies! Keep 'em commin'.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I have the older model Sportster (I think it was like 525 or something with the Tactical stock) and it's amazing. Total tack driver so I highly recommend Tikka.

7. CMS62223

CMS62223 TS Member

I own or have owned three Rem. 700's. A .223, .270 and .300 win Mag. from early models to present. They are good rifles. I also own a T3 grey laminate/stainless in 30-06. My choice hands down is the T3. Adjustable trigger, light weight, super smooth action and will dot the i's on anything I want to shoot if I do my part. Set it up with a good scope and have at it!! Hope this helps.

8. winchesterkid

winchesterkid Member

I have a Tikka T-3 lite 7mm-08 Rem. stainless/synthetic for sale if anyone is interested. Shot very little, would be a nice gun for a youngster starting out or woman.

9. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

I have a Winchester M70 stainless synthetic featherweight in .30-06, great gun, but would trade it in a heartbeat for a T3!

10. Shaner72

Shaner72 TS Member

There was a show on TV called Remington under fire. It was about the model 700 and it firing without touching the trigger. Some firing took place just closing the bolt on the gun. Be careful if you get one I would hate to see someone get hurt. The dealer won't tell you this ofcourse. My dad has a Tika in 243 and loves it. Take care and research the 700 if thats what you want.

11. remman

remman TS Member

Tikka for sure. Super trigger, very accurate out of the box.

12. samer0214

samer0214 TS Member

I'll add to this thread by saying that I just happen to be researching the verry same rifles, and have decided on the Tikka T3 in 30-06. The main thing that did it for me was the barrell which is manufactured for Tikka by Sako in Finland. FYI, The "equivalent" Sako, if you can call it that, costs 3 times more than the T3.

Go with the Tikka ($600) and spend another $300 to $400 on a good ballistic scope, and you won't regret it.

Samer

13. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for all the responses. Looks like I'll be buying the T3!

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Wow I really like my Tikka, but didn't realize how much others like theirs. I am actually surprised at the negative responses on the 700; give that it's been the "standard" for some many years, I would have expected more fan-boys.

15. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I too am a lefty and our options are not very good. However, there are some. I have had the Rem 700's, they sure look good and shoot well too. I also like Savage's offering in lefty. I found an old left handed 110 in .06 and rebarrelled it to 35 Whelen. Most recently I picked up the Browing Micro Hunter in 300 WSM. I love the caliber but after lots of reading and nearly two months of working up loads, the 20 inch barrel is too short for that caliber. It shoots well now, but that is because I just couldn't give up on her.

I have not owned a Tikka but have shot them. They seem to be of fine quality and the ones I have shot really shot nice groups with factory ammo. I don't think you can go wrong as they all have their pluses but I would reconsider the caliber and perhaps look at one of the short mags. A 308 and a short mag and you can hunt anything on the Continent (of course, the 06 will probably do that too with the right bullets).

Have fun, what a nice problem you have to solve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.