1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tightest patterning choke ever?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr A C Jones, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Just thought you long mileage shooters might be interested in . . .

"
    The firm tells us that in recent
    tests the results were far above
    average. At 70 yards with a 12ga on
    a steady rest, shooting a Fiocchi
    1oz #71/2 they were able to obtain a
    98 percent shot pattern.
    "

I'm not rushing out to buy them myself because they will not fit my guns. Other people might have other reasons . . .

Andrew.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Only works when shooting in the Land of Oz. HMB

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What was the FPS of that Fiocchi shell?

Phil Berkowitz

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Did Gary Bryant do the testing in his Guerini?

ss

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

$825.00 for five chokes??? Wow. I need to see the pattern to believe it. Wayne

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Now Shucker, be nice! That was too funny.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would have to win 182.5 custers to break even

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Short Shucker: Nope

I have an X-Full Caesar Guerini tube I have not patterned yet, or shot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dr Andrew. I remain skeptical about extraordinary claims. They stated the pattern was 98%, but 98% of what? I can show you many patterns where 100% of the shot in a 20 inch circle were in the 20 inch circle. Is that a 100% pattern?

Pat Ireland

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Andrew, sometime the pressures of deadlines lead to some inconsequential details not making it into galley.

"Subject: The best choke tubes

Date: Thu, Dec 17, 2009 - 02:16 PM ET

bakergun, until this morning I would have thought your question unanswerable. While all those mentioned above do fine work, I still doubt that any of the previous posters, promoting his or her favorite, would have any luck at all looking at a pattern (or counting one or several, for that matter) and naming the choke-worker.

But that was then, as they say. A post by 4th. down yesterday sent me to page 87 of Trapshooting USA's newest offering, and an article by Roy Lambson and his visit to the makers of Extreme Chokes.

This bit caught his eye, and mine too:

"The firm tells us that in recent tests the results were far above average. At 70 yards with a 12ga on a steady rest, shooting a 1oz Fiocci 7 1/2 they were able to obtain a 98 percent shot pattern."

That is, I think any here will agree, Performance with a capital B.

Neil

Subject: The best choke tubes

Date: Thu, Dec 17, 2009 - 02:36 PM ET

Well stated, Neil.

Received an email from Extreme. Looks like in the rush to make print deadline, the journalism suffered - they forgot to mention the pattern was 4' x 4' and it was done at 50, 60, and 70 yds. with a take-off on an extended turkey choke.

As usual, nothing new - Merry Christmas to all."

11. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Thanks Neil.

So Wayne doesn't have to mortgage his wife to buy the chokes and we are left with a statistic that is somewhere between meaningless and patterning with a big B.

Getting 98% on a 4'x4' plate at 70-yds would still be super-tight, in fact, I think even at 50 yds it would be pretty good going.

Andrew.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Typical rag writing. Tell me what to write along with your expensive AD and we'll take it from there. Roy Lambson, rag writer supreme?

There's no doubt they choose a great material for their choke tubes and equipment for making them. Looking closely at the one super clean tubes on their web-site, I see what looks to be machine marks in the end section of that tube? Possibly it's the photo itself but I seriously doubt it. Such outrageous claims leave these tubes in the seeing is believing class for me. I'd have to actually see their claim that a 98% pattern at 70 yards on a 4'X4' plate or pattern before I'd believe it!!! One embellishment leads to another?

My Winchester with a special improved cylinder tube patterns at 100% at 70 yards also!! You should see the full tube patterned at that same distance! These numbers border on the unbelievable percentages compared to most full chokes!!

oh, i forgot to mention i patterned these on a boxcar :)

I do believe this company makes good choke tubes, but certainly not $825 bucks good, even to the high end customers!! Then again, the old saying about a fool and his money comes into play sometimes.

Hap

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Doc, no need to worry about the mortgage, they don't make them for my lowly Brownings. Wayne

14. biff

biff Active Member

Hap, I think they threw out the high percentages(112%) and the low percentage(88%) and came up with that figure and no they were NOT using a "boxcar sized target". They used a target I used to couldn't hit, the BSB target(broad side of the barn) to get that percentage plus the choke was sized down to the rifled slug size. Biff

Disclaimer: I ain't saying it wasn't for real!

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Here's the clincher , "Clearly this product is designed and built for the shooter who demands the best"

And people with more money than knowledge will line up to get the best. The article should be a crime.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If I wanted the tightest patterning choke ever, I'd chat with the card shooters and turkey shoot crowds....

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well some choke makers claim their chokes will "swat down coyotes at 70 yards" with buckshot or BB, but won't publish patterns or pattern info, and won't guarantee their product to perform as advertised. If they could back up their claim I'd spring for being able to extend my range for coyoting, since 50 yards is the best pattern I've seen. An additional 20 yards is a huge difference.

Another issue is shot quality. While it is possible to get very tight patterns with some turkey chokes, keep in mind that very hard shot makes a big difference too. In my opinion the shot quality is more important than the choke, because softer shot distorts. Through the same choke, with the same size and weight of shot, I've found some turkey loads can have up to a 10 yards difference in usable patterns. When the shot was recovered, the cheaper shot had many pellets that were compressed almost into a cube shape, while the better shot remained round.

And speaking of hard shot, I'm surprised that trapshooters have not embraced steel shot for Annie's and turkey shoots. Steel shot (iron shot, actually) is incompressible in a choke tube. They can deliver some really outstanding patterns. Their drawback for hunting is lack of retained energy at range, but that's immaterial to a clay target. Some of the best patterning shotguns loads for varmint hunting that I've used are cheap steel shot through a full choke rated for steel shot.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Uuuuh, I'm getting 3" groups at 100 yards with Remington 2-3/4" Sluggers through a modified choke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12ga pattern at 70 yards