1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tighter choke = better scores?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

Yesterday, I used a MOD choke for my first 100 and even with IM my scores are about the same high 70's with an occasional mid 80 mixed in. 

So I wanted to experiment with a FULL I shot a 91 my second 100 my highest score yet (prior was 89). 

At least 80 of my breaks were all dust. 

Now with both MOD and IM I get less dusted targets but I still break them. I know all about FULL will crush them better than a MOD due to pattern open-ness, and MOD gives you more margin of error. 

My question is what does ballistics say about a clay going through the pattern? There are shots I know I didn't miss that result in a lost bird. 

BTW....I was using 1200 fps 1 1/8oz 7.5 remmy gun clubs

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you check the POI of the chokes? Also your brain gets better feed back from full choke breaks. HMB

3. open choke

open choke TS Member

I did on my browning Midas.

Not on my new carlson chokes. I haven't got the time yet but they all seem to perform better so far

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Don't care if its a skeet choke or extra full. Keep it simple, I use the choke that puts 75% of the shot in a 25 inch circle at the distance I break the bird. The way I shoot thats 32 yards for singles. If you really want to optimize your choke/load you have to head to the pattern board, otherwise use a tight choke.

Mark

p.s. To be honest, my scores dont change at all at the 16 yard line using any choke from Mod to Full. At that distance your either on it and it breaks or you're not.

5. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

"At that distance your either on it and it breaks or you're not."

I disagree I have videoed a target going thru the pattern and not breaking with a choke that was too open. Not all modified chokes are actually modified.

In open's case it could be either POI or the choke was too open you cannot tell without all the facts

6. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

I agree with the old Sarge;
    Frank Little once said, and this quote may not be absolutely perfect: "If you just have to pattern your gun, have a buddy go pattern it, and when he comes back, tell you "that's the best patterning gun I've ever seen," then just go shoot it."

The very best shooters shoot full chokes.
    So, why over analyze that? Just shoot a LOT, and good things will happen.

Sam Ogle

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I hear ya Phil and I respect all you say. BUT...whats wrong with using a choke that puts 75% of the shot in a 25 inch circle (others like 85% in a 30 inch circle)? If tighter is better, and I agree to some extent, why not use a choke that puts all your shot in a fist sized circle? There has to be some optimum choke...not just always a full. Mr. Wilkinson thinks there is.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Just ONE 100 target event is hardly a statistically valid test?

9. Garry

Garry Active Member

Leo Harrison has a theory about how you need to learn to shoot a "hot core" and not rely on a big pattern.

Leo shoots .045 constriction in his handicap barrel.

Leo shoots .037 constriction for 16yd singles.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

All chokes are not equal. I have found the faster the shell for singles the more open the choke. In my Infinitie's I use a LM with 1 oz 81/2 @ 1185---Gets all the smoke I can use "If I do my part"

Phil Berkowitz

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

There are different choke sizes so you can optimize your pattern at the distance you shoot the bird.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Some so called full chokes don't cut the mustard either! You can't always rely on numbers stamped on a barrel or tubes to break targets as they should be. Chances are you may pick up about any full choke trap gun and break targets with authority but that's not always the case with a full either!

Hap

13. pweld

pweld TS Member

I am not all that thrilled with screw in chokes. I have always believed and still do believe find one gun and shoot it. Find the choke that works best for you and leave it alone. Find the shell that patterns best in your gun and shoot it. I use 2 3/4 9's on the singles and 2 3/4 8 on the handicap. I am in the South so that might not work well in the winter up north. I bought a BT 99 around 85 and I back bored and lengthen the forcing cone. I then worked on the choke till I liked the results on paper. It ended up being about a mod. I have shot many 100's with it and it has put me on the 27 yard line. My health has put me on the sidelines for now but I keep looking for better day's. Remember it is not the arrow it is Indian. OK go ahead and flame away. People will tell you a lot of diff things but just remember 99 smoked targets still gets beat by 100 chips and chunks. I cannot find any type of grading in the rule book. It just says broken or missed target. Find what works for you and shoot it!!!

Paul Welden

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Choke tubes are overrated, and a distraction. Go full and you will never shoot around the bird. Fixed full will take the guessing away, if you miss. As stated above, at 16 yds if you miss, you would have missed with all chokes. Fixed full breaks give you confidence, which improves concentration. That way if the gun goes BANG, it is not the gun or the choke if you miss. The shooter missed the target. It is the hardest thing to accept that we are at fault for missing. Otherwise there would not be all of the excuses.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Phil, what does Leo REALLY use?

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Open, I'm a fan of denser patterns. I've proved it to myself several times.

In '95 I bought my first Perazzi. It was a used MX-15 with choke tubes. The barrel had been worked by Wilkinson along with 3 tubes. They were .22, .27 and .32, intended for singles, 23-24, and 27 yard use respectively. My load at the time was 1 oz #8 hard shot. Using the .22" choke, moving to 8 1/2 shot improved my singles average. Moving to 1 1/8oz 8 1/2 shot improved it even more.

When I went back to 1oz 8, my average dropped back down. It went back up again when I switched to the .27" tube for singles and the .32" tube for caps. The reason is quite simple. Pattern density counts, and the core of a pattern guaranteed to yield at least a one pellet hit is quite small.

Paraphrasing what one of your respondents often says, when you miss it is usually by a mile, not by inches.

If you really want to figure out which choke maximizes your chances, shoot 10 patterns with each at target distance. Then use the choke that puts at least 85% of the pellets in a 30" circle. Personally, I like 90%. That's easy for singles, but the farther back you shoot caps, the more difficult it gets.

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Different chokes perform differently. Just because it says full choke doesn't always mean much. Wads will also affect the pattern. For example I use a B80 with a modified choke and it has a tighter pattern more evenly distributed than the two full choke tubes I have. Your load can have a lot to do with that. You need to pattern it to find the results you are looking for. Jackie B.

18. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I shoot extra full at everything. I can tell when I am on the target. But, some good shooters have shot open chokes - Ray Stafford for one. Most of them shoot very tight patterns. That's why the smoke them.

19. open choke

open choke TS Member

What a debate I started......hehe

Phil kiner.....can you post a link to that video you're talking about?

Big-M.....that's what Leo uses as he says in his video.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Oh, Congrats on your finest score to date!!! So whats to think about? Just keep using the same exact choke with the same exact shells and go shoot. Stop thinking about this and that and just shoot. Good luck on your "next" first!!! break em all Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.