1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tightening model 12 forend

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

The forend on my model 12 is a little loose, it rotates some. When I turn the collar at the front to tighten it there is a groove that lines up with the barrel. The problem I'm having is when it's lined up it's not tight enough and if I tighten it more it doesn't line up with the underside of the barrel and it won't go another full turn. Any ideas? I hope I've explained it well enough because I'm not sure if I'm using the right terms. Thanks, Mike.

2. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Speaking from my own experience...there are many things that come into the timing of that locking collar ring...with that said..also many fixes..all requiring a very hands on approach. Without seeing it..it sounds like it needs some glass bedding of the forend wood at the slide tube meets the slide bar, theres a small raised notch that normally prevents the wood from rotating on slide tube assembly...As for timing of locking collar ther are places that can be bedded that will help retime this ring as well...Good Luck..Shoot Often..Shoot Well

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

A fast easy way is back the top nut off clean the wood and inside of ring soap and water works just dont soak it. let dry. put a couple DROPS of Grorila glue and set to where it needs to be . Use VERY little on the wood only do not get in the metal threads. It expands so 2 drops is enough.
    Next is get another forarm . Have a couple good ones what ga?

4. trapman69

trapman69 Member

I won't argue with glue but not the easiest. Take ring off wood take a piece of electrical tape roll it and stick in grove on ring reattach to forarm adj amount of tape as needed to tighten ring to correct position. TomR

5. flabigpapa

That was always the Greatest Advantage of Shooting a Model 12.....Anybody could fix One...Let's see, we have somebody that Uses Glue..then we have somebody that uses Tape, Surely, there must be someone that uses Bailing Wire.
    Like I said...Many Fixes..As said..Good Luck

6. bt100ed

bt100ed TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mike,
    Loosen the nut and wrap string around where it screws on. All you want to do is take up some space so the groove will line up and the forend will be tight.
    Good Luck
    Ed

7. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

Teflon tape works well also

MGM

8. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for all the tips! Mike.

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

If I was doing the job on one of my 12s, I would remove the magazine from the barrel and separate the forend and action slide from the magazine. I would then remove the forend from the action slide. There is a flange on the receiver end of the slide. I would bush(or shim) the flange of the slide and, using trial and error, I would re-install the forend and the sleeve screw(ring) until I was able to tighten things down to insure the forend was fast. When things fit good and tight, I would reverse the process and reassemble the gun. A drop of LocTite on the ring threads is cheating but it works. Kit

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have done several by relieving just a little wood behind the screw so that it will turn back one more rotation and lock in the wood. With a small file and a scraper, it is a simple and quick job. This is also the final step used to fit new wood to the gun.

Pat Ireland

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Herb Orre did it like Pat suggests.

He had a spanner tool mounted on the side of a bench that he could hold the forearm and lean into it with his body.

No chewing up of the nut.

I would imagine Wright does it the same way.

Regards....Gerald

12. flabigpapa

Last 2 posts are assuming..that there is any thread turns left. As said ...A Great many FIXES ..from a GREAT MANY EXPERTS.

13. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Relax - we're all experts here

14. flabigpapa

Trust Me...That's what I meant..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 12 loose forend

tighten action on model 12 shotgun