1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tight XT Forearm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ESMDHokie, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

Deja Vu. I just got my XT back from the Browning Service Department where they replaced the forearm wood. The work they did is as it should be from the looks of it. I know they test-fired the gun so I know it can get on there, but the forearm is once again darn hard to snap into place.

-I saw that the extractor springs sometimes are uncocked when the forearm is off, so I make sure to cock them when I put the forearm on.
    -The screws in the forearm are tight.
    -The barrels go on the receiver fine and the forearm can go on the barrels w/o the receiver fine, it's just when I try to put it all together. I really have to push on the forearm lever.

Got it back yesterday. I have no reason to think that the crack in the forearm wood, (why it had to be replaced), was caused by forcing closed this tight fitting joint, but I want to take care of my gun. Grease is where it should be (I THINK). Does anyone have any advice or photo diagrams to help this? No I don't want to file or stone any metal away, and in the very least it will wear in after use.

Thanks,

Phil

2. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

My XT combo forearm was extremely tight when new. I found if I tapped the underside of the forearm towards the barrels with the palm of my hand this would seat it and allow the locking lever to engage. Over time the forearm now goes on easy and the locking lever closes by itself. I used the same method on a tight Cynergy with the same results.

I hope this helps.

Bob

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Phil,

If the forend will fit snugly to the barrels but you are having trouble getting the lever to close, then the problem is easily fixed. Yes, it requires a little filing or stoning.

The little projection that sticks down from the bottom barrel needs to have the FORWARD end of it filed down a little bit. This is the end toward the muzzle. Just file and/or stone it a little and try installing the forend. If you work carefully, you will probably have to do this several times in order for the forend to go on the gun without using undue force.

I know you said you didn't want to do this, but you can fix the problem in one day or be aggravated with it for the next several years, plus run the risk of splitting the forend wood by forcing it on.

It's your choice, but either way, the only way the forend is going to go on smoothly is when enough metal is removed from that stud that the latch will close over it. Whether you remove that metal with a file or whether it is removed by 10,000 difficult removals/replacements of the forend is up to you.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.