1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tight group vs. fig 8

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ric3677, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Titegroup is good....and the TGT is good
    Not sure what you meant by the vs.

Rickyd

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

If you are looking for a BANG I would go with Titegroup. If you are looking for something to go between the shot and the powder I would go with the Fig8. If I were you I would use the two together. Now, what did you mean by your question?

Forrest

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Hodgdon's TiteGroup is a dense efficient powder.

Rem Fig 8 wad is a 1 1/8 oz wad that was designed before dense efficient powders were developed. The Fig 8 works very well with 1 1/8 oz loads and powders that are not very dense, Clays and Int'l. You may have dished in crimps when using the Fig 8 wad and TiteGroup powder. You will get better crimps if you use Rem TGT12 wads when using TiteGroup powder. The TGT12 is most often listed for 1 oz loads, the shot cup is the same size as the Fig 8.

Jason

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I seconed what Jason stated!

ec90t

5. Hooked

Hooked Member

What the ???? If you're trolling, then you got me.

Titegroup is a powder made by Hodgdon. It is not a wad.

The TGT12 and Fig 8 are both plastic wads made by Remington. The TGT12 wad is green in color and is usually used for 1oz loads. The Fig 8 is white in color and typically used in 1 1/8oz loads. Both wads are of a figure eight design, but because the TGT12 is used mainly in 1oz loads, it is taller than the Fig 8.

Remington Nitros use a powder that is very similar (if not identical) to Titegroup. Titegroup is a very dense powder and therefore, Remington (and those of us who try to replicate the Nitros in our handloads) use the TGT12 wad to get a better looking crimp. If you were to use a Fig 8 wad with 1 1/8oz of shot and Titegroup powder, you would usually end up with a dished crimp.

Aside from the color and the height of the wads, there really is no difference between a TGT12 wad and a Fig 8 wad.

Brian

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

cole-mitchell

?

Titegroup is a powder, not a wad. Figure 8 is a wad. Titegroup powder was originally intended for certain metallic cartridges and works in some loads in the 12 ga. Titegroup and TGT12S wads are a good combination, since the longer wad will compensate for the dense powder and provide for decent crimps. Check the loading data on the Hodgdon site and use it as it is written. Some of the pressures can get close to the edge with this powder, so I don't swap anything around, unless I can verify it's safety.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.