1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tight Browning 425

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Wong, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Wong

John Wong Member

Need some help to find a way to make my life easier every time I open and re-cock my Browning 425 after firing.

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Get you some STOS grease. You can put it on a hoe handle and run it up a gnat's behind and not even hurt the gnat.

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A couple of careful file strokes on the back of the forend lug and it will open and close like it should. Contrary to popular ts.com belief the forend doesn't need to fit so tight on a Browning that its hard to open and prone to gauling.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Grease and clean - grease and clean.

You can also do a few hundred reps each night of open the gun close the gun while watching the Karate Kid. Careful though you might mess up and end up with a high gloss wax finish instead of that factory oil. A week of this will help you bond with that 425 and probably get things pretty well broken in.

What you don't want is dry bearing surfaces or metal particles in the lube. Greasy and clean -greasy and clean .....

5. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

Get some CMD gun lube. (WWW.CMDLUBE.Com) The gun will drop open when you open it. I use it on all my Brownings.

6. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Most Citoris are assembled too tight. You need to have the forend iron properly fitted. It will open easy and you will not have excessive premature wear. Grease is nice, but properly fitted with a wee bit of grease is better.

7. legman

legman Member

As silverbulletexpress suggested, a little metal removal from the back of the forearm lug will free up the action. I only worked on one tight gun but my experience was that a couple of light swipes with a sharpening stone did the job. It kind of suprised me how little it took. Kenny

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Get some Perazzi grease. It'll break-in any gun pretty quick. When it feels about right discontinue and use a good synthetic grease or 30 weight oil.

(warning, Perazzi grease is black and will stain your clothing permanently)

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Gunsmiths who are worth their salt will not "loosen up" an O/U.

Use a good gun grease and break it in right. After four or five flats, the gun will be properly broken in. If you "loosen it" now, it will be sloppy loose after it is broken in.

Read your manual. It says to properly service and lube it BEFORE shooting it.

10. John Wong

John Wong Member

All comments and recommandations are appreciated.
    Thank you all.

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Shooting Coach no one advocated loosening the lock up, only the fit of the forearm iron. As a former Certified Factory Trained Browning Mechanic you should realize the forearm irons are fitted way too tight on most Brownings and that correcting that will save them from gauling and undue wear on the lock.

12. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Shoot some silver bullets in it, it will loosen up.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Once again, read the manual. Clean and lube it BEFORE you shoot. I never take metal off the forend lug. They are set with a certain clearance. When I buy a new Browning, after 10,000 or so rounds, they are about broken in and still tight as new. My 1994 Sporter, bought new, is still tight and has no looseness, and it has been shot a LOT.

For those who will not properly service their guns, oh well.

Years ago, a fellow brought a Remington 7400 in the repair shop, said it jammed.

It was filthy, we cleaned it and billed him for it. He demanded warranty pay the bill, and was told the gun must be kept clean to assure proper operation.

He snorted and said that if he had to clean the gun when he shot it, he did not want the gun. I mentioned if he would not service his firearm properly, he might be better off with a stainless bolt rifle. He did not like that idea.

When he learned I would not clean his gun for free when he shot it, he was outraged and stomped out. After paying the cleaning fee.

Einstein once mentioned that the universe has limits, but stupidity is infinite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning 425 trap