1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tight Beretta Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Butch257, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butch257

Butch257 TS Member

I have a Beretta SV-10 Prevail that I cannot put the choke in the top barrel with my fingers. Should I have to use a choke tool to screw the Beretta factory Optima HP choke all the way in? The bottom barrel is not as tight. It almost feels like the barrel is not not machined large enough for the non threaded portion of the choke to easily slide in. The bottom barrel can be almost threaded all the way in with my finger, although it is somewhat tight. I get almost no carbon on the tight choke in the top barrel, which is a good thing I guess, and some carbon build up on the looser bottom choke. I have a Franchi O/U that both chokes can be easily screwed in with my fingers. Forgive my ignorance but are either guns the norm?

2. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have never experenced that with any Beretta....

3. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Are you sure you don't have a boogered up thread ?

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Call Beretta and ask their opinion. They may have an authorized a factory appointed repair center near you that can make an inspection. Anytime you question the performance of any product, the first place to go is the manufacturer, the last place is the guy on the street.......

Surfer

5. Butch257

Butch257 TS Member

Threads look good. And you're correct I'll call Beretta tomorrow.I did check all 7 chokes and they all feel the same so I dismissed the chokes being the problem.If it is a problem.First Beretta I've owned so I didn't know if this was normal for them.

6. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Same gun same problem let me know what you find out.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've got a Beretta 687 O/U that's like that, doesn't seem to be a problem. It's my impression that whatever kind of jig they use at the factory to hold the barrels together at the muzzles for soldering maybe they get some of 'em clamped a little too tight?

John C. Saubak

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

My 682 Gold Trap has the top barrel just tight enough that I cannot use just my fingers. I cleaned everything with solvent and a brass brush and it is the same. I use "Gunslick" graphite grease on my choke tubes. It is an easy twist with a Carlsons speed wrench. It has been that way for years, never got better or worse. 99% of the time there is a full in the top and an lite full in the bottom, so twisting in chokes does not happen very often. I do not think it hurts anything. At least my chokes never come loose, which can cause a big problem.

9. snowbird14

snowbird14 TS Member

My 682 is the same. bottom goes in easy top needs a little help, has been like this from new.

10. Butch257

Butch257 TS Member

Here's the scoop from 1-800- beretta. They are sending me a pickup order for UPS to send the barrels and two chokes for repairs. Service guy was very cordial and made quick decision for service. we'll see how this goes and how quick I get them back.

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Butch, It would be really cool if you posted the outcome of your dealings with Beretta. It would be good to know if Beretta fixed your problem in a reasonable length of time and if you are satisfied.

Surfer

12. Butch257

Butch257 TS Member

I'll keep you guys posted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.