1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger Myrtle Magic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rastoff, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I finally got the wood I bought from Mike Mann turned into a stock.

It started like this:
    MyrtleStockBlank.jpg

And ended up like this:
    FullLeftsmall_zpsd057d0a6.jpg

Sorry, the lighting is not the best. I really need to invest in some better lighting. The stock and the forearm are the same color.

It's unfortunate that the checkering doesn't show well against the light wood. Doug Carpenter did an amazing job with it.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nice. I've never heard of tiger myrtle.

3. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Brian,

Stop in at Albany Gun Club (north of Eugene) this Saturday and see three monster tiger Myrtle blanks that were cut just a few weeks ago. Very rare and getting rarer every day just like orchard raised Franquette English Walnut.

Then you can say you've heard of - and seen - it.

Rastoff - Glad we could get the mystery checked forend blanks issue solved in a timely fashion. I trust the customer service was satisfactory. Rest assured that there is no other remotely like this one. Definitely a unique Tiger.

Mike Mann

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Mike,

The blank made a stunning stock. I wasn't worried when I bought it. You have gone over and above with customer service.

For those considering buying a piece of wood for a custom stock, y'all need to talk to Mike. No matter who makes your stock, Mike is the right guy to get the wood from.

To fill in the blanks, as it were, the original forearm blank for this stock was damaged in the process of making it. We're not sure if it was a mistake or if the wood had a void in the middle, but we suspected the later. Mike didn't hesitate and sent another blank to the stock maker. His service is speedy and right. His prices are the best you'll find. His wood is of the highest quality.

If I have another stock made, there is only one place I'll look for the wood, Mike Mann.

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Beautiful wood. Hope you shoot your shotgun better because of it. Chichay

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I'm not sure if I like it. The work of the stock and fit is excellence.
    It's the color, because of it being so difference it has to grow on me. I'm sure it looks better in person.

7. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have made 2 stock set out of tiger myrtle for my self, myrtle wood is easy to work with. One set on my K20 and other set on a Kolar TS. Both sets have different colors and I like wood that is different. I noticed you are Left hand shooter also. I have purchased blanks from Mike and am verry pleased with his wood. I think your wood set looks great on your Browning Rastoff. thanks Ronnie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is tiger myrtle easy to work with