1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiddledywinks with a primer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Doc, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Reloading with a MEC 9000H and primer did a tiddledywinks maneuver and landed in the powder of shell under the shot tube. Would not like to have shot that shell. I had just polished the shell pad as a recent thread had recommended or the primer would have probably wedged under the shell carrier as they have done previously. If you didn't see it fall into the cup it didn't and you should check. D Winter

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Bet you can't do it again Doc.

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I had a problem with primers jumping and flipping occasionally on my mec grabber, which is close to the same setup as your 9000. Yesterday I took a small file and worked on the collet blade that the primer rests on. problem solved! Now it sits very still like it's supposed to. When you get one of these Mecs right it cranks put a pretty shell, but they can be a head scratcher at times. Bill

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Bill, you need to try a 366 auto and you'll appreciate the Mec. I just set up a 410 and it doesn't throw powder like it should. It's supposed to be 14 grains it at times it's as little as 8 grains. I just haven't been able to figure it out but I'm close to going back to my Mecs which I still have. Jackie B.

5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Doc,

Regarding the other thread concerning primers getting jammed between staions #1 and #2:

1) The timing has to be adjusted correctly (carrier does not rotate before the top of the upstroke)

2) Scotch-brite the spring pad to polish it smooth periodically

3) Adjust the shell lifter just a tad higher than the top of the collet so the hull will clear and does not catch the primer as it rotates from #1 to #2

Sorry to hear about the tiddledywinks with the primer, but good catch!

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.