1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ticks ticks and more ticks?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lostbrd, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostbrd

lostbrd Member

This isn't a repellent but a friend of mine swears by them.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

DEET is the only proven effective repellent. Your best bet is to wear long sleeves and long pants, both with elestic cuffing, and a hat. That includes wearing high-top boots under the pants, and a turtleneck.

I was infected with Lymes Disease a few years back. I am very careful.

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

For your yard , I would suggest a product called Talstar . Works for our Trap club here in NJ when at one time were loaded with Ticks and after a few applications we have none . My son sells the stuff and said there is no way that it is suppose to work that well !!! I can testify that it worked for us and we`re in the woods and deer are very abundant as they watch us shoot and bed down in the fields right in front of us . Deets for the clothing is suppose to work too .

4. frank t

frank t TS Member

Products with Permetherin are the best thing to use on your clothes. This compound is not a repellent, but rather actually kills ticks. However, it should never be used on your skin. Several years ago the army did a study and found out that using Permetherin and Deet together were 100% effective in keeping ticks off. I spray my hunting clothes from the knee down, the elbow down, and around the collar with Permetherin. K-9 Advantix tick repellent for dogs uses Permetherin. I use Deet on my skin. Knock on wood, have not yet had a problem. and yes, the ticks seem to be everywhere.

Frank T

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you rely on deet you have a good chance of getting one or more of the tick transmitted diseases. You need to treat your clothing with a spray that contains permetherin. It kills them. Many of the tick transmitted diseases are fatal in humans if left untreated.
    The tick population has grown geometrically over the years because many states have prohibited the use of effective pesticides. And the tick transmitted diseases are at epidemic proportions. HMB

6. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

What product has Permethrin in it?

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The forest rangers here in North Carolina use Permetherim on the uniforms. Problem is you have to spray it on everything you ever wear in the woods, and then re-treat after you washed those clothes a few times. Deet works well, but my solution is the best. I just stay out of the woods and high grass and bushes.
    They won, I lost. I used to love hiking in the woods. Now I hike in the mall. Damn.

8. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

"Campmor" sells a permetherim spray. Link above. Or buy bedding spray at a livestock supplies outlet or agri-store.

Andy Moreland

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Or if you live in a rural area get 1/2 dozen guinea hens, they will take care of the ticks.

10. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Guinea Hens, LOL. They tried that at a local club. They ate ticks like crazy until the foxes and the red tailed hawks ate the Guinea Hens and that didn't take long.

I will say they do have an insatiable appetite for ticks but, in turn, they seem to be especially tasty to predators.

11. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

The Permetherim DOES work very well. We discovered it years ago in South Africa. The ticks there run from almost microscopic to LARGE. It worked very well. Sprayed our clothes and boots then used DEET sprays sparingly on the skin.

FN in MT

12. BMC

BMC Member

I raise birds and I use permethrin in both spray and liquid form for bugs of all kinds. The easist is to go to the local feed or tack store and get a product called Purge II. It is a spray that comes in a can that is designed for those timed wall sprayers which are put in horse stalls, etc. I use it on my dogs, birds, me, everything and it works really good. It is oil based. You can also get a liquid at the same feed store called Permectrin which can be mixed with water in a sprayer and applied. This form is supposed to have a residual effect for up to 15 days. Both are safe for pets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

No matter who markets it, its all the same stuff; a 1/2% permethrin solution. It's the only strength approved for topical use on clothing so it doesn't matter whose name is on the bottle.

Andy Moreland

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

A state employee here who does a lot of field work always wears white pants in the field, with elastic bands around the bottom...when they get on him, they show up like a sore thumb on that white cloth and every so often, he just picks them off. I wouldn't have thought of it, and it doesn't have the same satisfaction of killing their ass with chemicals, but it works for him.

15. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I worked a gov't contract with a bunch of EOD guys in Maryland (Ft. Meade) and we were in tick heaven! We used a product called Permanone (sp?). It was a spray to be used only on clothing. Worked well. I think I still have a can stashed somewhere. In the really thick stuff we'd come out of the patch and start picking them off of each other. Sometimes we would get 30 or 40 off of each one of us. Nasty little critters. I like to pick them off the dogs, throw them in the commode then make them dodge the yellow laser stream!! Paybacks are a 81tch.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

16. bill2

bill2 Member

Lint rollers work well.
    Bill Clymer

17. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I used a product this spring that did a great job during turkey season. I can't remember the manufacturer but you soak your clothing in a liquid solution overnight.........I didn't have a single tick on me & I hunted nearly every day of the three week turkey season. Holds up even after several washings. Good Stuff!

18. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

We ran a sports shop for years...Sold Permanone, which is mainly permathrin...works the best for killing ticks. When we sold our shop, we kept a gross of the product, sorry to say am now almost out of it. puablo

19. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

As a forester with 29 years of field experience and Lyme's Disease recipient twice I consider ticks and chiggers a major occupational hazard.
    Sprays w/ permethrin are the only way to go. DO NOT APPLY TO SKIN!
    Second are 8 inch elastic bands, called tick gaiters, which slip over boots and pants legs. Quick way to "blouse" your britches.
    You can find the spray in Virginia in Wal-Mart Sporting Goods section.
    Another alternative is Forestry Suppliers, www.forestry-suppliers.com or Ben Meadows, www.benmeadows.com.
    They both stock the spray and tick gaiters. For your yard use a granular, moisture-activated product spread similar to fertilizer w/ the active ingredient being permethrin. Found in lawn and garden departments.
    I have also used the tick key to remove them but best not to let the buggers bite in the first place. I don't care how effective tweezers, knife blades, tick keys are when you are snatching 30-75 a day off it is better to kill 'em dead first-end of problem!

20. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

A old Colonel at the gun club years ago said when he went hunting between the Land between the Lakes here in west KY then he always wore panty hose and he took his not so likable kin folk squirrel hunting over there 1 day OK he was from up north, well a few days later the kin folk called him and said he was eat up with something I'm sure they was deer ticks because they are plentiful over there anyway his kin folk had no protection at all no spray or anything well I'm sure that was the last time he ever went hunting with Colonel Booth.

True story

Fog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to do crusha design on blouse