1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tick trick

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Jul 19, 2013.

1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

A Surprisingly Safe & Effective Way to Remove Ticks

If you do find a tick, many people believe that the correct way to remove it is to use a pair of tweezers to grab the tick, and then pull it out firmly. This can work, but unfortunately, if the tick is in an area where tweezers can’t reach, or if the tick is removed improperly it can leave you with a mangled tick, with bits still stuck in the skin. Yuck.

A safer and much easier method has recently made the news, and all that's required is some liquid soap and a cotton ball or tissue.

Apply a dime sized dollop of dish or hand soap onto a damp paper towel, tissue, or cotton ball.
    Cover the tick with the soap-saturated tissue or cotton ball, and hold in place for a few seconds (15-20).
    The tick will come out all on its own and will be stuck on the towel or cotton ball when you lift it away.
    So easy!

One of our founders here at RadioMD lives in a wooded area, has tried this method successfully many times, and absolutely swears by it's effectiveness. So, while this summer may go down as one of the worst tick seasons on record, just remember to take precautions and if you do end up with a tick, the liquid soap remedy is easy, effective, and works every time.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Don't forget white pants. They ain't just for Don Johnson, anymore.

Find 'em suckers...pick em off.

3. SBray

SBray Active Member

This is the best way I have found to remove ticks. It looks like a Baskin Robbins ice cream sample spoon with a triangular slot cut out of the edge. You just slide the spoon long the skin and trap the tick in the slot. As you advance the spoon, it drags the tick out of the skin.

I got mine free from the vet.

Steve

sbray_2008_030320.jpg

4. la angler

la angler Member

I am a timber appraiser. Have been at it for over 31 years. I have tried many different methods of tick removal and I just use my fingers and I have always got all of the tick. Usally people giving this advise don't have that much experience messing with ticks. Hardly a day goes by that I don't get one or many ticks.

5. newbbs

newbbs Member

la angler, my dad always said that education and experience equalled knowledge.

Newb

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

On a slightly different note, how do you handle Chiggers? I think I have found the answer. I have been covered with the little bastards and am exposed sveral times a week for the entire Chigger season and yet have not had a single bite in several years. What I do is take a shower within a few hours of being in the woods. No need to rush,, it will work even if you can't shower for 6 or 8 hours.

Scrub your entire body with a rough item like Loufa sponge. Lather well and scrub away. Pay particular attention to your waist, your hands and your feet. This removes the top layers of skin and the Chiggera with it. The aftermath is not uncomfortable in the least. I guess this is what women call "exfoliate". What ever they call it, it works. You can buy a Loufa online if you can't get one at your local pharmacy.

7. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

When my nephew was a small child, he had tick completely buried under the skin in the back of his head at the hairline. You could only see the rear of it.

His mother covered it in vaseline, but the vaseline sort of melted away in the warm summer.

Next. she tried a very thick front axle bearing grease, and the tick came out on it's own.

No permanent damage.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Vicks Vaporub also makes Mr Tick real unhappy

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

yes vasoline will sufficate them and generally back out

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Getting rid of the tick is only half the battle avoiding coming down with one or more of the tick borne diseases is far more important. HMB

11. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

This one is the best I have ever used .... even works on tiny deer ticks.

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The soap trick is the best way I've found for removing em from the dog. Haven't used the cotton ball though. I put a drop of "Dawn" liquid dish soap on the tip of my finger then put that on the tick. Wait a few minutes and the tick is lose. Then I drop em in an ashtray and use the butane cigar lighter on em.

Removing them from myself I just use the finger nail. My Doctor told me that I should put the ticks I remove from myself in a zip lock "Glad" bag and then put the bag in the freezer. I did that for a while, but stopped a year or so ago.

The soap trick works great on the dogs.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bisi,

Your doctor is an idiot. HMB

14. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

flush the tick. don't burn it.

We used to burn them all.

now the vets say if you burn the tick you could inhale the Lyme disease vapors if it in fact is a tick with Lyme.

I was always partial to picking them and pulling off their heads.

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Really bad year for them here in northern MI. I've even pruned up any branches in the yard that might brush against you. Still getting a few. Do they jump or fly? Weird. Never had one on me until a couple years ago here. When we were kids we lived in the brush and never even thought about them. Must be global warming. Bill

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Lighter fluid and a match does the trick as well.

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yea, but hard on the dog.

18. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

I get ticks on me anytime I go in the woods,I use a cottonball with rubbing alcohol,hold that on them for maybe 5 sec. or better and they will want nothing to do with you...Any alcohol will work but thats the cheapest!

19. Mapper

Mapper Member

One of my work buddies used to eat a bit of sulpher to keep them off. Unfortunately that worked for people too. Mostly we doped up with Bens.

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Best prevention is to treat your clothes and shoes. with permethrin. Better yet is to buy pretreated clothes. That's what the forest rangers do here in North Carolina. The pretreatment lasts through a lot of washings.
    Of course, stay away from tall grass and weeds If you can.