1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tick protection for dogs and humans?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I have never seen so many ticks as this year. Must be the wet weather??

I've used "Frontline Plus" for my dog and have had good luck with it until this past year. I recently switched to "K9 advantix II" because it said it had a "repellant" that the frontline didn't have. It doesn't seem to be much different. Both flea/tick products are supposed to kill the ticks but some of these ticks had dug in and gotten "fat" before I find them and pull em.

Last week I used a tick shampoo on her that you are to only use every 2 weeks. That seemed to work for a while.

Today she got out in the high grass at the cemetery for less than a minute and I've already pulled 23 ticks.

Do they still make tick collars and do they work?

She sleeps inside with me and I don't want the damn ticks on me. A grade school girl in southern Indiana got bite by a tick and died, Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

What do you guys use on your dogs?

2. RickNE

RickNE Member

I've always had success with Frontline.

"FRONTLINE Brand Products kill fleas and ticks if they simply come into contact with your pet's haircoat. The fleas will die within 12 hours of contact with your treated pet**, and ticks will die within 48 hours."

I suppose it's possible for ticks to still bite and attach for a while, given this statement.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I suggest you think about killing the ticks where they live with a good insecticide. It's much better to kill the ticks before they get on you or your pet. HMB

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Don't have an answer. I have had several ticks attach themselves to the dogs and to me this spring. Added to that, I now have a bunch of chigger bites from just getting off the machine (Bull Hog) and walking around it for a minute or two.

I used to spray the dogs with repellent which seemed to work but I do not want to put a lot of chemicals on them regularly.

5. twopipe

twopipe Member

where are you guys ? We have the damn ticks now, moved in about 4 years ago, never saw them before that. I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario, (where it's supposed to be too cold for ticks, I thought ! )

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The ticks are taking over. In a lot of places the good insectides have been banned. The ticks can carry many different deseases, some are fatal if left untreated. HMB

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Found same problem on wife's cats,Frontline doesn't seem to effect them this year.Our luck,they're probably building up an immunity to it.

Doug H.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Cattle dip works good, yeah it says not to use on pets but it's the same ingredients a pet dip, at a fraction of the cost, and they have the smell of fresh cut railroad ties for a while

You can use Lorsban to kill the ticks before they get on your dogs and self, it used to be labeled Dursban and everyone could buy it now you have to be licensed to get it

Or you can get some sulfur and spread it on the effected ground, you can usually get it at a farm store, it's fairly cheap, just don't spread too much, it can lower the Ph in your soil

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

We have had some problems with ticks at our Trap Club and I put down Talstar - 2 bags - when we get people complaining about them . Sometimes it keeps them away for 2 years but my son says thats impossible . He sells the stuff along with other turf products and insisted it only works for a month or so . I`m not arguing with him but we seem to get good results with it .

10. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Our vet says to alternate Frontline Topspot and Advantage for fleas. The flea treatment should not be applied more frequently than once every four weeks.

Frontline has worked for ticks but the Vet says that Advantage is useless for ticks.

Good luck.

11. WVTVS

WVTVS TS Member

Frontline is a good product but the latest info is that it should be applied every 27 days for the best tick protectionm

There is another product I prefer - Preventic Tick collar. It works for 3 months and then you replace it. Get it from your Vet, it works great

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

FWIW-- I had some one tell me to bath the dog with Head & Shoulders "extra dry" and it seems to help. And yes twopipe, they've been spreading north for some time. I haven't had good luck with Frontline.

13. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Best thing I've seen for ticks is either Permone or Duracon spray. The Duracon is marketed by Coulstons and can be bought online. The active ingredient in them is Permathrin...that is what kills the ticks really well.
    I've used it on my hunting clothes for years and hardly ever get ticks on me.
    The key to it is, is to have a set of clothing set aside and sprayed for outside work and a set for hunting, etc.
    We sold this stuff for years in our sports shop, by far the best we saw.
    They used to market it for dogs also, I no longer see that available,but I use the human one on my dogs, as the ingredients are exactly the same.
    Called the company and was also told the same thing. Little or no smell to it whatsoever. It comes in an aerosol can or spray pump. I personally like the aerosol much better. Lasts for a few weeks anyhow between respraying. Check the can for complete data.

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I wonder if putting a flea/tick collar on the dog in conjunction with K9 advantix would affect the dog's health? Too much of a good thing??

That Dursban product was great, we used to use it at the gunclub and had no tick problem after applying it.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After excreting toxins into the wound. HMB

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

HMB, on the positive side what do you recommend? Oh, that's right, you don't have a positive side. Just wondering.

There is a product put out by High-Yield named Garden, Pet & Livestock Dust which contains permethain and I'm told it's the best thing on the market for treatment of ticks and fleas on your pets. In years past you could buy Permethrin spray to put on your boots and clothes but not on your skin. Now it is approved for your pets. Jackie B.

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Ticks need to be gently pulled out with tweezers or a tick removal device (available at Tractor Supply). Any other method will cause the tick to secret the toxins during the removal process (you definitely want to avoid that).

18. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Permathrin worked so good for us at our store, that when we sold out my dad and I got a couple of cases (gross) to last us quite awhile. Check it out its good stuff.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I used to use the collars, and one day when they were out of stock I saw the Shell no pest strips had the same ingredients at a third the price for twice as much material.

Attached a hunk to his collar with a zip tie, no ticks all year. Bingo.

HM

20. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

I have discovered a product called "Comfortus" for the control of Fleas and ticks. I use it on my dog and she has not had a flea or tick since I started using it over a year ago. It is a chewable given once a month (like heartworm meds). It is expensive at about $50 for 6 months of protection, but nothing else I have ever seen works as well.

Check with your Vet. I highly recommend it!

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lorsban and dogs
lorsban dogs
lorsban for ticks
railroad ties do they have ticks
will lorsban hurt dogs

will lorsban kill ticks

will lorsban kill ticks fleas
will lorsban kill wood ticks