1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tick Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mette56, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

We just purchased a small farm near Linn Creek, MO in the Ozarks. The house has a 12 acre yard with multiple hardwood trees and 3 acres open grass land. Some brush which we'll remove. Also, some ticks. What is your experience with eliminating ticks from this type environment in the Midwest?

thanks,

milt

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

"Eliminating?"

3. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Talstar.

4. mette56

Buzz,

"Eliminating?" I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

milt

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I hunt down near St James / Rolla.

Ticks need three things - moisture, warm blooded animals, and brush / grass to hold onto while waiting to catch their next ride.

The area is FULL of deer so not a lot you can do (lots of turkey and coyotes too). Tough to control the weather as well.

I had the same problem at my house in PA - heavy brush and long grass, with lots of deer. First two years we'd spend hours pulling ticks off the dogs.

I cut all the grass and brush way back - and kept it short and the ticks moved on (still had the deer about, but no where for the ticks to hang).

Go check out Swiss Meats in Swiss, MO... they process my deer... great butchers

6. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Milt,

Don't know about spray or pesticides for outdoors, but when we had our shooting store we sold tons of Permanone or Duracon tick spray for your clothing. By far and away the best stuff we found to use to keep ticks off you. The active ingredient in it is permathrin.
    Give me a call if you want some more info on it.

Take care,
    Jeff

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

advantage [advanticks?] for the dogs/cats. works

8. mette56

Thanks ya'll. More interested in getting them out of my yard as best as possible. Secondary would be personal applications for humans and pets. Need something to apply to the ground and trees. Yes, I'll definately brush hog when I get there then keep any undergrowth and grass cut short as possible. But, the location is in the country side so trees and under brush are everywhere around.

milt

9. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

get your self a small heard of chickens, they eat all the ticks and worse, the chiggers, and best of all they will leave you lots of tastey eggs.

10. GEORGE JACOBSON

GEORGE JACOBSON TS Member

yes guinea fowl or chickens will help alot. don't let a tick bite you deer or dog tick. if you get one go to doc asap get doxycyclene or equal antibiotic.you donot want to take a chance. don't take any b.s.if your doc won't give you anti prescription go to one that will period!permithian is the best clouthing spray your socks pants shirt hat wear wrist bands tennis type with spray on them.this is not overkill less you like lymes which is a syflectic offspring also in minnesota mosquitos can also give you lymes disease.erlichiosis babeosis and afew other nasty bacteria you can get as well. geez what did we outdoors people do to deserve all this crap i don't know!just google lymes and see whats there. george j.

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Guineas,definitely eat them.Why,I remember Rosie O'Donnell telling everyone she bought a flock of them just for that purpose.Mentioned it on Her talk show before it got cancelled. LOL,,if a star says so,It's gotta be right.

Doug H.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

dhip,

I'd be more concerned on why in the heck you were watching Rosie O'Cow. As a matter of fact, I believe I'd have kept that one to myself. Yikes......

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tick bites left untreated can kill you, be careful. HMB

14. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

1. Dark colored clothing

2. long sleeves buttoned at wrist and collar

3. boots with pants taped

4. tick spray

5. Frontline or BioSpot on the dogs

6. Thorough inspection for the little buggers before coming in the house.

The only way I can think of to completely eliminate them is a controlled burn of your entire property!

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wishfull thinking, a thermo nuclear detonation might work, but, I have my doubts. HMB

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

dhip and George Jacobson beat me to it. Those birds will not only take care of the ticks but some snakes to. Get about 12 of them to start and see how things go from there.

17. mette56

Lit...I'm moving there. Should be by the end of September. Not much more than a mile from the GC!

milt

18. dhip

dhip Active Member

grntitan

I didn't actually watch the show,she was on another show and brought up the fact ,plus,I figured someone would get a rise out of it.Apparently,Rosie(The cow as you put it)did research on the subject because she was concerded about the ticks getting on her child,and Lyme disease was prominent in her neck of the woods.

Doug H.

19. quartering

quartering Active Member

what's the difference between a big, fat lumbering cow and rosie o'donnell to a tick?

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

And the cow likely smells better and eats less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.