1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THURMONT OR MILLINGTON???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TOOLMAKER 251, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Elysburg,Pa.

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Thurmont. Great program on Saturday. 200 caps and 100 singles. Fun fun. See you there, Osker Reynolds

3. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey Bernie,

I think I'll shoot Thurmont because it's closer to my house. It's a 45 mile drive. Millington is about 100 miles for me.

John

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Is Thurmont back in business? Far better place to shoot than Millington. Sure wish they could get back in the big programs again!!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I miss the old days at Thurmont. My "Thurmont" squad included Swanson B. (now dead), the Hughes family (they don't shoot much anymore) and Bill Young (now very ill). Those days are gone just as the campers at Thurmont that got caught in the flood one Friday night are gone.

Thurmont needs a lot of work to get up to the point of hosting large shoots again.

Pat Ireland

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I shoot there frequently, on Tuesday nights. Jamie Palmisano has taken over the program and is in the process of rebuilding, with the support of his dad and a group of old timers lending support. The BOD seems solidly behind him and is willing to spend the cash necessary to rebuild the program. They've put two new Pat traps into new houses, just in front of the clubhouse, and are throwing very respectable targets. They have more work to do, and I'd guess it's a long time before you're going to see a return to it's former glory; but it's a start, and I believe Thurmont's revived program is worthy of support, never mind, being a great place to shoot.

The state association grounds are a different story, though, and are being maintained; but the trap houses are literally falling down, as are the shelters and such, with the trap machines long gone.

Sorry I won't see you and your dad this weekend Osker, we're off to Elysburg. break 'em all.........mike

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Boy, I miss Thurmont! I always enjoyed shooting there and hope they get the place back up and running.

Ed

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I would be torn..shooting wise, I like both of them...but the facilities at Millington are so much nice....the last visit to Thurmont I made I seem to remember the mens room being one step below finding a lone tree in the woods to do your business behind

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Two days of rain resulted in water at roof level on a tent camper. As of today, it's been raining for about 12 days straight. I wonder what it looks like up there now.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What I miss most about going to Thurmont, was over eating at Cozy's restaurant when we were finished shooting.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Things I miss most about Thurmont. Another 550 target shootoff between Frank Little and Kay Ohye (I was in that one but got eaten up), getting thrown in the pool after breaking 200 Singles, crabs and beer, some of the best targets (Remington) ever thrown on the East coast, crabs and beer!!

12. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Well mike. I might not be seeing you this weekend, but maybe later this week at the state shoot? Ill be there Wednesday and Thursday. Ill see if I can't come find you. Hope to see you up there.
    Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Don't forget Thurmont's pit beef sandwiches and chicken. I have only been to Millington once (you can't get there from the Harrisburg area) but the beef just wasn't as good!

Ed

14. joannl030

joannl030 Member

I haven't been to Thurmont is about 13 years. Apparently, according to the above notes, it has changed a lot.
    I used to be a puller and shooter there (from age 12 to 21)and I am from upstate New York. I enjoyed working for Ray Greb and the others. They treated the pullers/setters very well by paying us good and putting us up at the Cozy.
    I met one of my very best friends there though we live far apart.
    Fond memories is all I have for Thurmont and maybe someday when I take my daughter to Gettysburg, I will stop in to see one of my favorite places to be as a young adult, that's Thurmont!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.