1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thumbhole stocks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jerryjackson, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryjackson

jerryjackson Member

I would like some comments on the advantage and disadvantages of thumbhole stocks. I have a BT-99 that needs a new stock and I am toying with the idea of a thumbhole but I do not see many on the lines at shoots. There must be a reason.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    They're "assault stocks" in several states now.<br>
    <br>
    As for me, there are damn few thumbhole stocks that feel comfortable, especially on a rifle which may be shot in different positions. Remington, for example, has embraced thumbhole stocks on some of their turkey guns. They are the most ill fitting stocks I've ever tried. I cannot get my hand far enough into them.

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I used to know a shooter who had a beautiful thumb hole stock out or amazing maple on his Model 12. He could shoot that sucker good. Mostly games. But he was usually in the dough. Jake

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I have a Harry Lawson Cochise thumbhole for a BT-99 and a Model 12.....both bite the hell out of my face....I have 5 rifles stocked with Lawson t-hole stocks and I love shooting them...just not on shotguns...

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Also....I think the "twisted sister" concept give the shooter all the benefits and none of the drawbacks of the thumbhole stock..IMHO

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Wenig had some nice looking thumbhole stocks in their catalog 2007.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    ljutic73, what is this "twisted sister" stock you're referring to?

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hey Brian,

A "Twisted Sister" is a name given by Kolar to their stocks that have a lot of cast-off and toe-out.

ec90t

9. mike b.

mike b. Member

I found that your hand gets the recoil more than your shoulder. Stick with the old standards...that's why the thumbholes are in the minority. IMHO

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Thumbhole or PFS, which is uglier? Oh, I have a PFS.

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have had a thumbhole on a Superposed 32", A BT 100 34", a 390 32" and an 870. I like the feel and the control...but I shoot a PFS now. The thumbhole on the superposed was a striped maple and was beautiful. I never had any "bite" problems or thumb fit problems...always got lots of comments on the thumbhole. The only reason I don't shoot one now is a Recoil sissy shoulder.

JON

12. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I have a thumbhole stock for a 1100 if anyone is interested (e-mail).

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I shoot a Wenig custom thumbhole for about 12 years on my browning plus combo. I love it. Especially when it comes to doubles. I have a very large hand and wanted a new stock; I found this to be one of the best fits. In fact Wenig had made very few before mine was made. No one has more experience in making them. One thing you have to realize is you have so much control with a thumbhole you have to be careful with gun movement that is too fast.

GS

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have two rifles with thumbhole stocks, a T/C Omega 50-cal muzzleloader and a Remington M700 in 300 Ultra Mag. Both are comfortable to shoot but I'd never buy another thumbhole stock for a hunting rifle or shotgun because the gun no longer is ambidextrious. If a shot at a deer appears from a right-handed shooter's right and the tree to which his tree stand is attached is in the way, he has to take the shot left-handed - that's damned tough to do with a thumbhole stock! Yes, I learned that lesson the hard way. If, like me, you've never thought about that, pick up a thumbhole gun at a gun shop and try it sometime.

Regarding trap guns, several shooters I know who bought BT-100s with thumbhole stocks liked them but there were concerns among gunsmiths about making those thin combs adjustable for fear of the stock being too weak in that area after it was cut. I have seen BT-100 thumbholes with adjustable combs, but I know that was a concern.

Ed

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I can't imagine shooting a thumbhole without having it cutom fitted. Everyone's hand is a different size. As noted Wenig has one they'll custom fit you with, but Dennis DeVault can do anything. He's done thumb holes and is finishing one for me right now.

16. a budine

a budine Member

I shoot a bt-100 with a thumbhole and aa few other long guns so stocked. I love them all. The 100 just slips into a proper mount with little to no adjustment on my part. I also have an XT with all the adjustments possible - it does not fit as well as the factory thumbhole on the 100. If it fits you, its well worth it.

17. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

I have a Browning BT100 which came with a custom thumbhole stock and I love it, the stock is original from the factory, they made a few in blued and stainless I beleive back in the early 90's. I have seen a couple advertised on this forum if you take a look. I have had a lot of guys look at it and pick it up and mount it and say they never thought they would like the way it feels until they tried mine and I wouldn't have a hard time selling it now if I tried.

18. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I used one on a MX10 RS and liked it. I use a release and it gets away from banging your second finger into the trigger guard and I think better right hand control. I now have a K80 because I have been using light loads to the point of not reseting the trigger for doubles even with a lightened inertia block. Still have the stock and it is a twisted sister. Anyone interested?

19. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have a bt 100 from the factory, and I love it, I just shortened up the lop for winter shooting and it started biting my cheek, going back to the longer lop this week.....gun always fit before with no complaints.
    tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bt99 thumb hole stock
does a lawson cochise thumbhole shoot well off hand
harry lawson thumb hole stock on shotgun

harry lawson thumbhole stock

lawson thumbhole stocks
what is the point of a thumbhole stock
why did harry lawson design the cochise thumbhole stock