1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thumbhole stocks...???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I din't know they made trap guns with thumbhole stocks till a coule came up for sale lately.

What's up with them...what's the purpose of those over a standard grip stock?

Best regards..Stan

2. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Just another grip style. The only purp[ose is that it pleases a few people.

What's a "standard grip stock?"

Would that be the straight grip that was often seen on SxS & SBT trap guns during the early 1900's? the open semipistol grip of the Model 12? the more vertical pistolgrip popularized by Perazzi? the fingergroove grips being made by Dennis Devault? or....?

3. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

About 15 years ago I shot practice handicap with Johnny Rutherford, the retired Indy 500 race driver.

He had a thumbhole stock on his gun for a different reason.

He couldn`t raise his right arm to a shooting postion without first putting his right thumb through the hole. Then he used his left arm to shoulder the gun.

Previous racing accidents had hampered the 100% lifting of his right arm.

4. a budine

a budine Member

After 40 years of bullseye pistol competition, I switched to trap - needed that feel of something solid in my gun hand to control the gun - just feels better with my fingers wrapped around some vertical solid wood - it's just a comfort thing, I suppose. ALB

5. StansCustoms

Just wondering..

Some things like adjustable combs and recoil pads have a very important purpose to long neck sting bean guys like myself.(...well used to be string bean guy, not so much now at 63.)

I thought that a thumbhole stock might have certain purpose for guys of a particlular build...or perhaps some other purpose in particular.

Standard grip...well opinions vary, but something like a BT99 would be a good example of a standard grip trap stock to me...

Best regards..Stan

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

They work great for off-hand rifle shooting (I have several)...not so good on a trap gun. Tried one....bit my face a bit....

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Truer pistol grip, which allows more absorption of recoil with the trigger hand than all of it to the shoulder........at least that is what I found it to be having them on a MX8 and TM1.

Also kept my forearm, elbow and upper arm more horizontal.

8. StansCustoms

Ok Rick..Thanks for that..

I see that it can serve some purpose other than just looking pretty cool...I never thought of it helping with recoil..

Best regards..Stan

9. porky

porky TS Member

The ones that I shot must not have fit me correctly because it seemed to want to seperate my thumb from my hand after a couple of rounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hand grip trap gun stocks

perazzi thumb stock

purpose of thumb hole stock

shooting trap with a thumbhole stock

thumbhole shotgun stocks for perazzi shotguns