1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thumbhole stock advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by teleskier, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teleskier

teleskier Member

As some of you may have read, we are looking for a BT99 or BT100. We found a couple we like, one of which has a thumbhole stock.

I have read what I could find on here about them and it seems either you like them or hate them. One post said the stock bolt and trigger guard needed to be changed.

what can all of you tell us about them, pros, cons etc. Just because it has the thumbhole, can you still shoot it with a regular grip?

Mike

2. Pulldead

Pulldead TS Member

Love mine I can shoot it all day and it feels like a 20 gauge, even with silver bullets..I bought a spare trigger that I've never used..they are bulletproof just like the 99's

By "shooting with a regular grip" do yo mean hold it without using the thumbhole? no and you wouldn't want to it feels much better and very natural to use the grip as designed...hope that helps...if the price and condition are good I'd snatch it up..good ones are getting scarcer every day and its a way nicer gun than the new 99's that are over $1200 buckaroos now

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have never shot a thumb hole stock on a shotgun. I was interested a comment made above by Pulldead. He indicated that he believed the thumb hole was responsible for reduced felt recoil. This is quite possible. Many shooters fail to recognize that our hands and arms absorb much of the recoil from our trap guns. The thumb hole places some of the hand directly in line with the recoil and could make the hand/are a more effective recoil reducer.

Pat Ireland

4. a budine

a budine Member

I have short-fingered rather thick hands - everyone told me not to try one as it would chew up the skin behind the thumb. Well - I don't listen very well - I bought one from a shooter who fired 300 rounds and hated it - he was also bleeding a bit by his thumb. 5K rounds later - I will not part with it - it fits well, smokes birds, and is very comfortable. The only way to tell if the thumbhole is for you is to get one in hand and shoot a few rounds. They are different - but when they fit right, magnificent, too.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

When the BT-100 Thumbholes first came out, the word was that you could not make their combs adjustable. I've seen several with adjustable combs since then - you just have to make the cut less deep into the stock than with a regular stock.

I have a thumbhole stock on a .300 Remington Ultra Mag rifle and my son has one on his turkey shotgun. They really do help spread out some of the felt recoil.

Ed

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Where are you located Mike? If you're anywhere near me, you are more than welcome to try my BT100 thumbhole. I feel like I have better control of the gun with the thumbhole stock. It's just the sense I get, can't explain it further. I had another BT100 thumbhole that I had an adjustable comb put on, so that can be done. Tom Larkin did mine and did a nice job.

The one I have now has a 34" factory ported barrel and is very fresh. Price is $1400 plus shipping. I can send you pics or I can send you the gun and you can try it out for a few days and then decide.

Bob

7. teleskier

teleskier Member

Primed...I sent you an email. Thanks Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.