1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thrombocytopenia

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hey fellow shooters. Need some input. My daughter has a platelet count of 1000. It's supposed to be at least 150,000! She is in the hospital now having an IV. Anyone familiar with this medical problem? The wife and I are living 1000 miles away and are very worried. She is 45 years old. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank a lot. Ed

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My wife is an RN and didn't want to give any false info as she is no doctor or expert. She did say her understanding of this issue is basically her body doesn't have the ability to clot. Anyway your daughter and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. ---Matt

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Do a Google search for the disease. Best you should read the results for yourself.

Eric

4. esoxhunter

I've googled this extensively. It seems that the cause of this type of condition is rather difficult to find. Once the cause is found; then you need to treat the cause. This is very prevalent in people who have had chemotherapy. However this is not the case in her situation. I was just wondering if anyone on this site is familiar with this condition. Thanks. Ed

5. ArkLaK80

ArkLaK80 Member

I had this a few years back. My count got down below 1000. After a little research I found that my platelet count had been very low for several years prior to bottoming out. The hemo/oncologist treated me for about 3 months with some type of IV therapy without any lasting success. Ended up having my spleen removed. Counts went up and have stayed up ever since.

Never found the cause other than some type of an auto-immune problem.

Best of luck

Ray

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Go to the Mayo Clinic website and enter it in the Search window.....

God Bless!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The low platelet count can be caused by a tick bite. The disease transmitted by the tick is called babeosis and is treated with doxycycline. HMB

8. esoxhunter

Thanks so very much for the needed input. I am forwarding all of this information to my daughter. This will allow her to ask additional questions to her doctor. Thanks again. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.