1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== THRIFTY CAR RENTAL SCAMS, STRIKE 3 ==

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

SCAM 1: A couple years ago we took an out-of-state family vacation and my wife booked a rental car with Thrifty/Dollar. When we dropped it off at the airport on the way home the bill was several hundred dollars more than the original agreement. I griped and they said I had driven "excess mileage." My wife had kept a hard copy of the rental agreement clearly showing "unlimited mileage" and they adjusted the bill after a nasty phone call. How many other victims got hosed?

SCAM 2: Last year we showed up with hard-copy of the rental agreement in-hand. They say all is fine and agree to honor our online reservation. Until... they saw me get in the driver seat. They asked me, "Sir, are you a BlueChip member?" No, I'm not - my wife is. "Oh, then I'm very sorry - only the BlueChip member is allowed to drive the vehicle, unless you buy the extra insurance. It was an extra $150 or something. Screw that, my wife drove the car out of the airport, we swapped seats and I took my chances.

SCAM 3: A few weeks ago I learned that my dear wife had once again signed us up to deal with the Devil. To avoid problems, I reluctantly signed up as a BlueChip member. We get off the plane and head to the Thrifty counter. They look at the deal my wife booked online and ask, "Which one of you will be driving the car?" Oh, no you don't -- we're BOTH BlueChip members and we both need to drive the car. The flunky replies, "BlueChip has nothing to do with it, Sir - each additional driver increases our liability, so if your wife wants to drive the car it will be an additional $99." I explain to the flunky and the "manager" (a Thrifty "manager" is apparently last month's flunky who now gets to deal with all the irate customers pissed about getting caught-up in Thrifty's scams) that my wife's driving record is even better than mine, so her driving instead of me actually DECREASES liability. As she ponders this conundrum, I also remind her that having two available drivers instead of one who may be fatigued from doing all the driving further descrease liability, and that it doesn't matter anyway because our own car insurance is covering the rental vehicle. Absent the brainpower necessary to refute my logic, or debate on principle, she reverts to blatant lies: "It's $99 per extra driver - every car rental company charges it and there's nothing we can do about it."

STRIKE THREE. I was a little slow on the draw this time, but I didn't pay the up-charge and Thrifty/Dollar is now officially on my lifetime ban list for scumbag companies. I should have learned my lesson the first time. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistakes.

-Gary

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have had Farmers, State Farm, and now Hastings Mutual and all cover me in a rental if I call and tell them I am in one. The rental is the same as my car. Also, I found out that my GM credit card covers "loss of use" on a rental car if I use the card to rent the car. My car insurance with any of the three above companies won't cover loss of use.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That's fine, but insurance wasn't really the problem. The problem is that Thrifty lowballs the price and then tries to make up the difference with scams once you're committed.

-Gary

4. bgf

bgf Active Member

First time shame, shame on they. Second time shame, shame on you...

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, I hear ya. My wife is quite smart but sometimes I need to remind her who we shouldn't do business with. Still my fault though, you're right.

-Gary

6. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

This is a bit off subject, but has anyone ever darkened the door of J D Byrider car sales?

My wife and I were driving by one and saw a vehicle I had been looking for.

We went in, was approached by a young salesman, and when I asked the price, he invited us inside. HUGE MISTAKE ON MY PART!!!

We were very patient as he asked many questions, then asked us to fill out an application, as his manager ran the details on a computer.

He was GOOD at avoiding the price question, and after 1 1/2 hours, we got up to leave.

We were stopped by the manager and asked what was the problem?

I said all I wanted was a price on that blue piece of sh** out there on the lot.

He finally said $16,000, which was $4000.00 over blue book.

Never again!

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Talk about rip off tactics, the wife and I saw a commercial from a nationwide flooring company that claims if one orders today or something it will be installed the next day. Sometimes the ads are buy flooring for one room and they will throw in two rooms.

The ad we saw was 70% off, I figured it was marked up, but wow. We were quoted $15,000.00 for a hard wood floor install in our walk out basement which is about 1100 sq feet.

I told the guy we are not even close so there is no point in continuing. Without time to blink he says I can go $7000.00. I told him $5000.00 and we would buy immediately. The salesman said he had to talk to his manager and that he would get back to me. The salesman departed and never called me back.

We will call that an extreme mark up! How many people do they sucker with that, oh and the guy was even prepared to offer on the spot financing for 12 months same as cash. The interest rate dated from day one is only compounded at over 20% if not paid within 365 days...

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gary,

I needed a good laugh this morning. Sorry......

"last month's flunky..."

LMAO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

thrifty car rental scams