1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Three Officers Shot - now two have died

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My company has sponsored trapshooting league teams for several years in the hopes of generating interest in the sport. I sponsor normally two teams, and the second team is normally made up of police officers, FBI, and ICE guys.

One of my team members was shot and died in the emergency room today in the line of duty, WHILE I WAS AT THE CLUB SHOOTING LEAGUE, if you can believe that.

Ryan McCandles, a 6 year RCPD officer, 28 years old was shot three times in the chest and died in the emergency room while I stood outside awaiting to hear his fate. Another Officer Nick Armstrong was shot above the heart and underwent surgery. His condition is critical. The third officer was shot in the face and was able to talk to the DCI. His name is not mentioned until the next of kin have been notified.

My son who works for the bank in the area just drove through and saw the suspect doing a "high five" with one of the officers, and 10 minutes later (about 8 minuets after the shooting), he saw the same suspect in cuffs in being put into a cruiser. My son was devastated because several of the officers stop here at the shop often to have a Coke, coffee and just talk about trapshooting. My son, Michael, knows several of the officers and the second in command, so he was here later this evening to check on me. We all went on a long walk and talk.

McCandles was engaged to be married to an outstandingly beautiful young woman also an ICE person. I was told the wedding with this or next week.

At the club tonight I shot with another one of the ICE guys, and a registered shooter.

You can read about it at the above link.

My trapshooting team members are simply devastated. I am too, and guess I just needed to put this up just to cope. Sorry if I am spreading "doom and gloom" but this has hit me really hard.

Whiz

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this, bad things do happen to good people.

Prayers for strength for all those involved, Whiz!

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Prayers for the families and his fiancee. What a shame, but evil does exist in our midst.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Tough news James. Very tough

5. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

Prayers to the Officers and Their Famlies.

It isn't something that will ever go away. I lost a best friend and Partner in 1989. He was involved in a crash during a high speed pursuit. The hardest thing I ever had to do was to go notify his family. That whole night/day, will be a part of me forever.

I hope the best for all who are involved.

Vern

6. setool

setool Member

Whiz,

What can I say, except that I truly feel for you, and the families of those affected by this terrible trajety.

Without need to say, you and the others are in my prayers, my friend.

Mark

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I wore a badge for 37 years. My prayers go out to all. May God bless and keep all concerned.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tough deal-- and yes that is what police officers are up against potentially each day

No details in the news tape above about what and how this happened and sometimes that is the way it is

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

very sorry to read this. God Bless the officers & families and you also Whiz

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Whiz,

Don't apologize. Thanks for sharing the good times and bad...with your buddies on Ts.com. For me, the police and f.d. are every bit the heros our military are. When I'm in their presence, my hat comes off in respect.

Sympathy and prayers for all of you.

milt

11. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Thanks for sharing this with us, sure he valued your friendship and concern. Prayers for all and you continue to show that this community of shooters cares.

12. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whiz, it was shocking news here in Rapid City yesterday. Give me a call when you have some time.

We will pray for the Officers and their Families.

Bud Bartholow

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Whiz,

I am so sorry to hear of this loss. You are one of the really good guys on this site, and I know this has devastated you. My prayers go out to the families and you of all involved.

These are difficult times, and I hope this type of violence does not spread and become more prevalent.

Again, take care of you, and I hope to talk with you soon.

14. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

My thoughts and prayers to all envolved.

Bill

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I am speechless.

Whiz, I was looking at a map of Rapid City the other day - figuring on a possible trip to Mt. Rushmore with my son (he is taking a year off between high school and college) - and wondering if it was prudent to come and say 'thank you' to you in person for all the help you have given me over the years.

I can only hope that all works out for you, the families of the officers and all of Rapid City.

I was impressed with the words of your chief, clearly one with 'the right stuff.'

God's speed to all,

David Delacato

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Whiz, I'm very sorry to hear this sad news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these fine young men.

17. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Your friend and others who follow are best not forgotten as not to have died in vain. May God bring peace to the hearts and minds of his family and friends.

Robert

18. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

They are in "High Flight" now touching the face of God. I am very sorry for them and their families.

Harry Lyga

19. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

My thoughts and prayers are with them and their families.

Bob Merkov

20. sjlga

sjlga Member

Sorry to hear about your freind and fellow shooter.

Thoughts and prayers from Georgia,

Semper Fi,
    Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.