1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Three day return policy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

No offense but the seller sets his/her own rules. If you don't like the deal as it is offered, buy somewhere else. No need to slander someone because they don't like 3 day trial periods. Find another deal that suits your needs and let this seller do buisness his/her way. Just say'n.............

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree with grntitan. I understand how you feel and I probably agree with your assessment. However, if it's this persons policy to not allow a trail period; so be it. I would just say, "Thanks but no thanks". Ed

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I'd hate to go to the trouble and expense of selling and delivering a gun just to have it come back because the buyer found a better deal or got a case of buyer's remorse.
    If you're buying from a seller who's been on TS.com for a while, and the feedback has been positive, you shouldn't have to worry. If it's a one time seller, you 're on your own.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Maybe slander wasn't the correct word but you are suggesting we "blackball" a seller because you do not like his/her terms. You can choose what to buy and how but only if it meets the sellers needs. This is a forum and not an auction site like the ones you compared it too. The selling here is not regulated nor ran buy the owner of the site. I'm not sure if i was selling a gun here i would offer a 3 day either. My honest opinion.

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I also have always bought & sold with a reasonable inspection, usually permit a few shots when selling & appreciate same when buying. But do walk away if not. Have been lucky I guess,so far have not had anything misrepresented. Do try to call & talk to the buyer-seller, phone calls are not all the expensive. Ross Puls

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would never accept, or expect, a return for a gun that "doesn't fit". If there are mechanical or cosmetic problems that weren't explained or pictured, thats one thing, but I would never accept or expect a return because someone changed their mind, the gun doesn't fit, they don't like the grain of the wood, the gun isn't the right weight, they don't like the balance, w/e.

7. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I think it is up to the seller if they want an inspection period. Usually on private sales, the sale is final. This is not WalMart.

JMHO Bob

8. pikepoola1racer

pikepoola1racer Member

On most gun auction sights their is a 3 day return, even if the sell says no, that is the gun sight rules and seller has to go by them. If a seller would not let me return a item, I would not but it from him.

9. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

If a seller doesn't want to give an inspection chances are something isn't right, that is the way I look at a deal. If the buyer is paying for all the shipping what is the big deal at the end of the day. I'd never get into a deal with out a return policy. I don't care who you are and how positive your feedback is. Call me nuts but when buying Bespokes you better dam well have a return policy. God only knows how many Parkers and Win 21's I have had in my hands that were fooked up and sellers telling me otherwise.

Now then I only know Jim from a deal we made last month on a Parker. He's a fair, better than described seller. Oh those shells were hot, I went with the RST's and did a 23 for the first time with that old gem.

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Problem with this blanket policy is "you are honest" and the next buyer is NOT. As a seller I would expect the buyer to hold me to nothing less than I have photo'd explained and represented the item as. But with this return policy the buyer could return it for whatever reason they seemed fit...maybe a cheaper one found, maybe the LOP was not to there liking.. Its a open door that once a buyer commits he needs to be obligated. With that said, if the gun is NOT as described or is mis-represented than by all means it should be taken back. BUT, just because TS.com has a policy that SAYS that, how is enforcing that any different with a policy or without? Its really not, you as a buyer are still going to have the ultimate responsiblity to get this done with or without a "policy"

11. gold40

gold40 Member

My policy when selling a gun on-line has been to allow a 3 day non-shooting inspection, with the buyer being allowed to return it for ANY/NO REASON AT ALL, and receive a refund, except for the shipping costs.

I've never been "burned" by any on-line purchase or sale. Maybe I've just been lucky...

gold40

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

if you don't like it buy somewhere else, besides that this is a site where you can list your stuff. This isn't a site to sell stuff. get over it.

13. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that if you contact the seller who is selling "as is, no returns" & tell them that you are interested but the lack of an inspection period is a deal killer that they will then offer the inspection period......I'm sure not all will but the ones that I have dealt with did so. Buying a used gun with "no return" is something that I would never do!

14. TjayE

TjayE Member

This is why I will only sell a gun Face to Face. Of course, I am not in business to sell guns. Every now and then I have to sell a gun to make room in the safe for a new purchase. Like other have said above, If you do not like the terms of the deal, buy elsewhere.

15. skeet_man

What happens when you have a gun out that you've sold, the buyer decides he doesn't like/want it for whatever reason (besides misrepresentation or omission), and because it was out, you missed out on selling it to a serious buyer who's moved on b/c yours was "sold", and now your stuck trying to sell it all over again. You've basically allowed the buyer to tie up both the money and the gun for however long it takes to make it back to you, which could be close to 2 weeks, and however long it takes you to connect with the next buyer.

16. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I'm with skeetman all the way......I only give a inspection period for the buyer to look it over and compare the gun to what was advertised. I will not accept nor have I accepted back a gun because the gun doesn't fit or the grain of the wood is not to their liking after seeing it first hand, etc. I also do not allow the buyer to shoot it during his inspection period because how do I know he won't use a defective reload and make my gun into scrap metal? If that happens, I'm out of the gun, and have a potential ambulance chaser trying to sue me. If the buyer is local to me, I will offer to invite him to shoot a few stations of sporting clays with me during the next time I'm at the range. And he can use my shells.....

If you want a 3 day inspection period/return for any reason/shoot it as much as you can, then buy from a dealer like Paxton Arms. He has the liability insurance to cover himself from Darwin wingnuts using defective reloads in addition to he sells enough guns that if a buyer has buyers remorse and returns a gun, it won't put a crimp on his overall yearly sales.

17. skeet_man

Even Pax specifies factory shells only when you get a gun on demo for him (basically same idea as a sale, you send him $, he sends the gun, you demo it for x number of days, and when its over, you send the gun back and he sends your check back, or you keep the gun and he cashes your check).

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that its standard in a sale to have a 3 day look over. If your at a gun show well you buy it its yours. But a mail order gun sale you should have a 3 day look over. How ever if the gun is NEW IN THE BOX and UNFIRED you should still have a 3 day look over BUT YOU BETTER NOT SCRATCH IT OR SHOOT IT. If so you have a new gun. If the gun should come back it had better come back just as it went out. If not they have a new gun.

19. vegas steve

vegas steve TS Member

this thread has to do with my gun that is posted here for sale.jim wanted a 3 day inspection and i replied not without my presence. i was burned once for offering a 3 day in the past and am just not comfortable with doing it anymore.i'm sorry if this upset you jim,but it's up to me how i want to sell my gun,not you.as for the "blackball" bs,i thought that was very unprofessional. he's just upset because he knows my price is rediculously low for the gun i'm selling and wanted it for a quick profit.

20. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

one of the reasons you "go" to buy guns. first hand inspection. You are the one that has to agree to terms, whether you buy it here or anywhere else.
    I do not like your plea for support against the other fellow. You didn't agree to the terms he offered, and so you lost no money, you've got no bitch, your efforts to make things more difficult for him to make a sale is mean and vindictive, and reeks of a strong arm tactic, a bully. You and I would not be buddies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.