1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

threading Winchester SX-1 barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 4andy10, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Has anyone had Briley thin-walled choke tubes installed in the barrels where the rib is bolted thru the barrel? Called Briley and they said they could do it but he first thought I was talking about a 101 so I'm a little skeptical.
    keith

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Briley, Carlson, Wright... they all know how to do it correctly....

3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Send it to Stu Wright and have him solder the rib at the same time so the screw beomes a non-issue. He uses the same thread pattern as a series 2 Briley thinwall, so the 2 chokes are interchangeable. For my money, Stu's workmanship on the barrel and the quality of his chokes are the best.

Ken Rucker

4. finger

finger TS Member

I have had Briley choke SX-1 barrels that had the rib screw down through the barrel. As Insurance I always ask them to put a pin through the rib and a rib post a bit behind the screw. When they thread the barrel most of that little screw disappears. I learned the hard way. The first one I did I did not ask them to pin the rib and that little screw failed and I wound up on station six of a skeet field with the rib hanging over the end of the barrel by at least a foot. I pushed it back and finished the round, but ever since then I have pinned those barrels. and so it goes. bob finger

5. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

thanks for the info Bob, how much extra do they charge to do it?
    Keith

6. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I happen to install my own custom chokes and have done the thin barrels that other shops have turned down as "too thin".
    Tru-choke and Colonial, plus other aftermarket type, all are mass-produced to fit UP to a certain bore size safely for that series, but any bore larger-well, you are out of luck, if that was the only suitable thread pattern. Naturally, for all of the barrels with the bore smaller than that level, your tube entry will be more oversized compared to the bore of your barrel, and the shot will have to jump further before it touches the inside of the tube. Extra clearance is excess clearance.

Use of open chokes in barrels with a bore appreciably smaller than the entry end of the tube creates a free-flight zone, untouched by the shot. Then your 1-5/8 long flush choke may only use an inch of length. If the tube extends, you may not gain the full length of the additional amount since there may be a longer free-flight area.

All of my chokes are made to fit the bore and as a very close fit to the hole size. There is some excess side play with any mass market tube so the choke doesn't have clearance problems in a hole installed with the cutter going dull (last hole before tool change), and who would be the lucky one getting that barrel? Any choke pre-made will have similar tolerance levels for clearances. That does add convenience to be able to order spare chokes, but those cannot be construed as "custom-fit".

My work is not for everybody, especially those seeking an economy job. Low cost is the hallmark of mass production, as is the necessary loose fit. As long as a shooter understands that there are trade-offs, i.e. particular limitations inherent in the typical factory and aftermarket system, then the decision is made with full knowledge. Shooters should not make decisions based upon incomplete knowledge, whenever possible.

I have posted special relevant pictures on my website (in articles) to educate those desiring to understand more than what an owner's manual will impart to the end user. Article 3, in particular, shows several examples of improper choke hole installations, with the worst example ready to destroy the barrel and possibly cause injuries with the next shot. A bulged and split barrel with a tube turning inside out is no small matter.

See the various points explained from a gunsmith's perspective there at the website. Every page has copious details explained in articles with pictures and explanatory images. I will be posting more articles soon, so check back later, also.

This picture shows a couple of my first (over 22 years ago) custom choke installations: the top is the SuperX barrel, and the lower is a Browning Superposed ala Broadway, a super-thin barrel set with minimal clearance for a tube installation.

I will re-install factory-style threads accurately and precisely for those wanting to be able to use typical mass production factory chokes, but never any aftermarket chokes due to the many limitations inherent in the tooling, components, and design limitations. A thin barrel or shooter wanting something above ordinary quality will prefer a custom installation and chokes made to shoot an exact constriction, not one per .005" choice from a list.

An educated shooter is a safe shooter. An informed shooter will become a happier shooter.

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x109/kirbythegunsmith/?action=view&current=chokepic1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.