1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread Subject Unknown

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kiwiG, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Just watched this movie for the umpteenth time...once again I laughed, and I cried. Feel free to add your comments. Respectfully yours-Graham.

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Great movie, the only tib-bit that was Hollywood makebelieve was the housing at Ft Benning, when I was there, that was for field grades and above (LTC were the lowest I saw on the name boards), O3 and below lived in WWII wood built BOQ... Grubby

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Battle shots were the best I've seen in a movie. At least from what I remember from Vietnam.

4. Trapshooter01

Trapshooter01 TS Member

I had the pleasure of shooting with Joe Galloway A couple of years ago at the Irlene Mandrell Celebrity shoot. Joe was at the actual battle and his story was portrayed in the movie. During the Vietnam War, Galloway served three tours in Vietnam for UPI, beginning in early 1965. Decorated for rescuing wounded American soldiers under heavy enemy fire during the battle at Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang Valley, he was the only civilian awarded the Bronze Star by the U.S. Army during that war. Meeting Joe and talking to him was one of my highlights of the shoot. He is a true gentleman. In talking with Joe one of his proudest moments in his life was recieving the award from the Army

5. 7mmbuster

7mmbuster TS Member

I've seen the movie a couple times, and agree. It's a good one. Of course, Hollywood has taken their usual liberties with the true story.

Get yourself a copy of Col. Moore's book, "We Were Soldiers Once, And Young". It's the true un-varnished story of the 7th Cav's battle in the Ia Drang Valley. I've read mine more often than I've seen the movie!
    7mm

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It is a good book.

7. 682LINY

682LINY Member

The book is the real deal,,,OUTSTANDING,,,

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I too have seen the movie a bazillion times and have run th gamut of emotions. I just finished a fiction book The Expendables by Leonard B Scott that left me crying at the end. Most of it was based on facts and is an excellent read.
    Go Well and Laugh Often

9. 525 KID

525 KID TS Member

Its hard to believe how much shelling was needed from the falcon battery to keep those men alive!!! The numbers are staggering in the book and how close they kept it to them to keep them beat down and drive them away!! and what happened a day later when they left that battle and was attacked on a 5 mile trek thru the jungle was just as bad!!! the book is a must read and very dramatic and sad!!! If most people could just witness this kind of horror and how it feels to know you could die or will die at any minute,they might see things different and show more respect for the men and women that have and still keep us free in this world!!!!

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Colonel Moore came to the USAF Squadron Officers School to give us a talk on leadership when I attended back in '95.

He talked for over an hour, recounting the battle. And held about 300 captains absolutely spellbound doing it. Best talk I've heard in a long, long time.

It almost seemed like during the talk, he was actually there, in the field. he had a faraway look on his face the whole time.

We also had one of the Tuskeegee Airmen come and talk to us....that was another great couple hours.

You meet folks like that, you realize there are some great folks out there in the world.

11. KRE

KRE TS Member

When one looks up the word leadership, the line should read, "Preform the task as Col. Moore would".
    Hal Moore is one of the finest leaders this country has, or will ever have, in our history. To a man, that served beside, under, or over him you will hear the same words spoken.
    No one I know of ever gave a second thought, to any order he issued. He was infact the first on the field of battle at X-ray and he was also the last off.

Kenneth

12. Landshark

Landshark Member

Great movie. I bought it the other day so I can watch it whenever I want to.

13. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I enjoyed how in the movie the way LTC Moore introduced SgtMaj Plumley "He answers only to me."

Ronbo

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Isn't it to bad on Veterons Day each year our school children, teachers, and others are given a day off in stead of being introduced to a book, a story or a movie like this? Or better yet having a veteron talk to them. Post-2

15. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

Quite possibly the best "war movie" I have ever seen. It is a must-see for just about anyone. Clearly one of my all time favorite movies of any type.

16. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Perhaps the best Vietnam movie ever. It's ashame its a true story. With out the leadership of Hal Moore they would have been KIA. He was one of the finest officers in the Army.

This happens when civilians try to run a war. They put us in harms way quite often.

Sonny

17. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Love the movie, actually read the book first. It was really good also. Loved the action shots of the battle and liked Sam Elliott's character.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

True story, read the book and saw the movie. I'm a wounded veteran of the VietNam war------seen most of the VN war flicks, most of 'em are just bull$hit.

"We Were Soldiers" is the real deal! Another good one was "Hamburger Hill".

John C. Saubak

VietNam 1967-68

19. 525 KID

525 KID TS Member

WHAT IT MUST HAVE FELT LIKE ABOUT 400 AGAINST 3 TO 4 THOUSAND AND HOME THIER HOME TURF??? I CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THESE GUYS IN THIS BATTLE AND HOW THE ODDS WERE SO STACKED AGAINST THEM THE CASUALTY RATE AND INJURIES WERE STAGGERING AND THEY FOUGHT ON UNTIL WHAT FEW NVR WAS LEFT, RETREATED AND WENT RUNNING FOR COVER!!! SO MANY BATTLES SO MANY UNTOLD STORIES SO MANY LIVES LOST IN ALL WARS AND THIS IS JUST ONE STORY TOLD!!!

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I couldn't watch it...I tried, just couldn't do it!

Knew quite a few men from the 173rd., went through Jump School with alot of them....

Curt

VN..'66-'67

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.