1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread size of Browning BT-99 trigger guard

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pat D, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello all,
    I'm hoping someone can help me out with this question. I have an old style BT-99 in the trigger guard threads into the front of the trigger then attaches with a screw into the wood of the stock. The newer ones have a cam type attachment. I ordered a replacement trigger guard from Browning but it doesn't thread in properly. Does anyone happen to know the thread size of the stud that's on the trigger guard? I need to get a die for it. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Pat

2. JLW

JLW TS Member

Pat- my old BT99 stud on the trigger guard measures .188-32. I can't believe it is a #10-32 tho', but, a M4-7 tap is too small and a M5-8 is too large.

An #8-32 tap threads in but is too loose. So, I'd say most likely a #10-32. It might be best to call Browning to make certain. If you have a #10-32 tap or bolt, try it in the hole in your receiver.-Jerald

3. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Thanks Jerald,
    I did call Browning and they didn't know. I did talk to a customer rep but I'll have to try again and the next person might know. I tried a metric #4 and to small tne #5 seemed like the correct diameter but I'm wondering if they have different threads. This is unbelievable I can't find the right thread. I did read that they have a #4.5 size but can't find it yet. I just need to retap it.

Thanks for the reply,
    Pat

4. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello all,
    I called Browning R&D and found out through knowledgable man that there were two thread sizes made for the older style trigger guards that have the front threads that screw into the receiver. They sent me the wrong one and I was trying to fix it myself so I wouldn't have to ship it back. Anyways he looked up the old blue prints and found it to be a 5mm x.9 pitch. The standard pitch for what you would find at hardware stores are 5mm x .8 pitch. Anyways he found an old trigger guard and sent it over next day. That's service.
    Thanks for the help,
    Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.