1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread Lock????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a BT100 with the trigger modified to be a release. The release trigger hook attaches with an allen screw and has a pin that holds it in place as well. My question is should i use thread lock on the allen screw and if so what strength?---Matt

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

use the blue, that way you can get it back off later.

tony

3. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Locktite makes the blue and red in stick form that I have found to work much better than anything else I've tried for small screws. The only downside is it is a little pricy but it has a good shelf life. It sticks to the threads and doesn't run all over into areas you don't want it. Whatever kind you use make sure your parts are all clean and oil free, oil tends to kill Locktite if it gets on it before it sets up.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

My strong dislike for Locktite goes back many years when I stripped many screws that were held in place by the stuff. It did teach me how to drill out small screws, but I just don't like it.

For many years if I have a screw problem, I put a little dab of latex caulk on the threads. That will fill all of the voids between the boy and girl threads and the screw will happily stay in place. With caulk on the threads, the screw can easily be removed.

Both caulk and duck tape should be in every home.

Pat Ireland

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Maybe I don't understand, but if the screw is pinned, what use is Loctite? Don't use it if you don't need it.

WNCRob

6. grntitan

The screw is not pinned the piece is pinned to keep it aligned. I would suspect if you had thread lock that wouldn't release that the person who put it on used the wrong strength. I just happen to have the new stick form and that is a much cleaner and easier way of using it. I will smear a dab of blue on. Thanks to all that responded.---Matt

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Clear nail polish work great for items you may want to remove in the future & there is usually some around most every house.

Big Jack

8. grntitan

Big Jack-- I'm not gonna waste my good nail polish on a release trigger screw.LOL---Matt

9. 682LINY

682LINY Member

there are two or three GREENs,,,a low streagth for small machine screws,,,a penatrating for assembled screws,,,a grade that will alow adjustment after assembly,,,,,,and a VERY HIGH STRENGTH green that makes thing forever,,,,stay away from that one

10. fisher0907

fisher0907 Member

Loctite makes 222MS (Purple in color) that is specifically formulated for small screws under 1/4" where serviceability is most important and would be the best threadlocker to use. Gunsmiths have been using 222 for small screw applications for years especially for telescopic sight fasteners.
    The "blue" threadlockers are made for 1/4" up to 3/4" screws and can require twice as much force to remove as purple 222.
    There is a blue 'wicking grade' product known as 220 for applying to pre-assembled fasteners under 1/4" that is easy to remove when cured, but I would not recommend the "green" family of anaerobic cure products as they tend to be too strong for the small fasteners.
    The semi-solid sticks by Loctite only come in blue and red, no purple...so definitely don't use red unless you really don't want the fastener coming apart and use blue very sparingly!
    This is probably way more information about threadlockers than anyone wanted to read, but as a former Loctite rep I wanted to offer the benefit of my training in the product.

Jon

11. grntitan

I sure learned alot about thread lock today. Thanks for the valuable info.---Matt

12. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

Purple loctite may be hard to find in local retail stores. I could not find any in Topeka, Kansas, this included auto parts stores and harware stores etc., and ended ordering some on the internet.

13. grntitan

Well, i ended up using the blue stick. I don't plan on taking the part of any time soon. I just hope when i'm ready to take the part off i can do it without stripping the screw head out. Is there anything that you can do before hand that loosens or breaks down thread lock?---Matt

14. fisher0907

fisher0907 Member

Matt,
    Most threadlockers break down at 300F; if you touch an electric soldering iron tip to the head of the screw and heat it up, that should be enough to soften/weaken the "bond" of the material in the threads.
    Latebloomer mentioned that purple is hard to find and he's right. The easiest way to get it is to order from gun specialty suppliers like Brownell's. Other than that, industrial supply distributors should have it or can get for you quickly.

Let me know if you have any other "glue" questions.

Jon

15. grntitan

Ten 4 Jon. I will mark you down as the glue man.LOL

16. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Fisher has it right, I've fit 100's of scope mounts to the dust covers of 1911 pistols and there is not a much harder job for a small screw with barely two threads than that application. I use the tip of an electric soldering iron that has been pre-heated and have no problems removing 6X40 screws that have been red locktited. Just hold the tip on the screw head and heat it, if the screw doesn't want to move heat it some more, just use caution and common sense and you'll have no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.