1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

thread cleaner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

saw a shooter at the my last trap shoot clean his choke threads and the threads in the barrel with a tap of some kind.anyone know where i can get one?
  2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I bought one from the people who always advertise in Shotgun Sports, it was supposed to be for a Beretta Optima, the first time I tried to use it , 6 months later I found out it was for a different thread, no damage. Be very careful, use a tooth brush and CLP to clean the threads---no problem--- a crossed choke thread can ruin a barrel. By the way they refused to exchange it or give me a credit.

Phil Berkowitz
  3. Jim R

Jim R Well-Known Member

I got both of mine from Brownells. Call them do not order it on line. When I got mine for both the Perazzi and for my Browning they wanted model and serial numbers on both guns.

They do work great, a little spendy but worth it.

Jim R
  4. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Does anybody have a link to the item on brownells. I couldnt find it. Thank you in advance.
  5. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Does anybody have a link to the item on brownells. I couldnt find it. Thank you in advance.
  6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My Beretta and my Ceasar both came with one (as part of the choke tube wrench) when I bought them.

All they are are thread chasers. If a person kept taking the tube out and cleaning it like your supposed to you won't need one.
  7. Dave P

Dave P Active Member

Why bother buying thread chasers etc. I've been cleaning my barrel internal threads every couple of months with the wire brush and drill after taking the tube out. No problems after 17 years of doing it this way.
  8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

A small pet bottle brush and some CLP. About $3.00 from the pet store.

Wayne

[​IMG]
  9. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Likes to shoot is correct, I too have the thread chase as supplied by beretta but I don't really use it.

I only clean my 682 barrels after 10 flats or so and even with that many rounds on it, the choke tubes come out easily. After I get everything cleaned up I put a dab of grease on the choke tube threads and reinstall and we are good to go for another 10 flats. Really just basic maintenance but the lube is important.

If I were to use a thread chase, I would get a plastic one. I think the metal one that Beretta supplies could damage the threads if you didn't get it started correctly.
  10. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I've always cleaned the internal barrel threads at the end of the season with a Pro-Shot 10ga Bronze bristle brush on the variable speed drill.
  11. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Ditto coveybuster. You can buy a 3 pak of 10ga. bore brushes from Brownell's for under $10 if I remember correctly and they will last you probably the rest of your life if you are using them to clean choke threads.
  12. open choke

open choke TS Member

I was told to not use a wire for threads cause if you do it wrong it can strip the threads.
    So I use the stiff nylon tooth brush thing.

Is there any nylon brushes like the one posted in the picture that I can put on a drill?
  13. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Pro-Shot Bronze brushes are on the "softer" side of cleaning brushes. The bristles on the 10ga brush are longer, giving them more "flex".

I can't see how these could hurt threads in barrel steel in routine maintenance. The hardness & rigidity is not there.

I beleive Gunslick makes nylon bristle brushes
  14. Dave P

Dave P Active Member

Open Choke: Pls. read my post
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.