1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Winchester Select Energy v Citori Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HicksHunter, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HicksHunter

HicksHunter TS Member

I'm looking to buy a new trap shotgun after I compete in the SW Grand later this week, and I'd like some input on a couple of different shotguns.

I'm looking for a do-all shotgun that would be good for singles, wobble, and bunker, and I've more or less narrowed it down to a couple choices in my price range: Winchester Select Energy Trap and an older Citori Trap. Of course there are a number of shooters here that love the Citori, but are there any here that are familiar with the Winchester?

Also, are there parts available for the Winchester? I believe it's really the same shotgun as the FN SC1, so that would lead me to believe that parts would be available.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Winchester Select Energy is a good high quality gun that should sell for
    $500 to $700 less than a Browning Citori. It was discontinued some years ago
    and was a dealers closeout a couple years ago. New ones are still available.
    If you find a Browning Citori in very good condition at a reasonable price, that might be a better choice. You can't go wrong with either one, however.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I like the Select, BUT! Parts are an issue. A friend had a part break on his. Part had to be made, gun broke again the first box. After another attempt, the owner made a Safe Queen out of it. He is afraid the part will break again, and does not want to sell the gun to have it break again.

Get the Citori. Can't go wrong.

4. HicksHunter

HicksHunter TS Member

Now that's what I was worried about. Looks like I'll be going with the Citori, then.

Well, that's if I can find one for a good price.

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I own a Citori XT, a 1976 Citori Trap and a Select Energy Trap. I have shot them all with no problems. For versatility, I would want interchangeable choke tubes which may not be available in an older Citori. (Mine has fixed chokes which are fine for trap, but would not be the best choice for Sporting Clays, Five Stand or Skeet.)

The Winchester Select Energy was made by Browning. As a matter of fact, it was made in the old Superposed factory in Liege, Belgium. I don't know for sure, but I would think that Browning would have parts if one were needed. The only negative I have heard about the Select Energy is splits of the fore-end, but if you keep the screws snug this does not happen. I have had absolutely no problems with my gun.

The Browning XT would probably be your best choice if you can afford the slightly higher price. It has the versatility and a higher resale than either of the other two guns. Just my take on all three.... Martinpicker

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

No contest. Select Energy is not on the same league as any vintage Citori Trap. Plus they are notorious for misfires and breaking forends.

-Gary

7. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

I like my select energy so far. Only about 2k through it though. I think it a good quality gun for the most part. Warranty work is through browning, which I hear can suck. Mine is the sporting.

8. newbbs

newbbs Member

I have owned both and I think the Browning has less felt recoil.

R Newberry

9. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

If dickgtax (post above) is correct, anyone looking to sell a winchester select energy trap for $500 to $700 can email me I would be a buyer! xxxcraigw@ptd.netxxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
video on to disassemble a winchester select trap

winchester select energy

winchester select energy parts
winchester select energy sporting
winchester select energy sporting price
winchester select energy sporting upgrades

winchester select energy trap

winchester select energy trap parts