1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the Beretta autoloaders (302 and 390)?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AFARR, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFARR

AFARR TS Member

I bought an A302 (30" Full Choke bbl) locally for $275....thought it was a good deal as the guy wanted the cash for an O/U instead.

Then, I saw someone wanting a trade and offering his AL390 and got that one also.

When I was first setting up the purchase on the 302, I asked here about it and about getting barrels (so I'd have a better selection of chokes).

Now that I have the AL390 (Black synthetic, no mag cut-off, so I'm guessing it was the WalMart version) with a 28" bbl and Mobil Chokes, I've got a good selection of chokes in a reasonable barrel length.

Since in a search, it looks like a lot of guys here like the Beretta autoloaders, I thought I'd look for suggestions:

Do I have a good combo for general use? (I'm not a target/trap/sporting clays shooter or even much of a hunter, but I have done all the above to a limited extent, and anticipate doing more of them in the future.).

Am I lacking anything (say a slug bbl--one possibility is that I might go hunting in a shotgun only area in the future, or even a different barrel/choke for the 302 that I should keep my eye out for)?

I have also decided to stick with Beretta shotguns. I anticipate getting an O/U in the future (maybe even a SxS), and will probably stick with Beretta, and also may get a 1201 (I like combat style shooting and at one point owned a 1201FP3 that was very nice). Is it better to stick with all 12ga? I had considered keeping all the single tube shotguns (302, 390 and 1201) as 12ga and getting doubles in 20ga, but don't have enough experience with the 20ga to know if it is worth the effort. (For some reason, once I find a quality brand, I'll stick with them unless they don't make something I am specifically looking for...I have several handguns, and most of them are in the SIG Sauer flavor..).

And, in keeping with the above question, what is Beretta's best deal in an O/U? Something I should keep my eye out for in gun stores if they show up used?

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

These will serve you well. As for barrels or chokes, you don't say what the choke on the 302 is but as for needing a slug barrel, you might just get a tube rather than a dedicated barrel. Of course should a dedicated slug barrel come along and was priced right, I'd buy it.

As for 20 guagers, I hunt with them but unless you buying one for a specific reason such as the weight factor or their responsiveness, your 12's will serve you well.

The SXS get expensive in comparison to what you've bought and O/U alittle less. One O/U on the bottom end of pricing was a model called Essential. Another would be a Silver Snipe. Just basic O/U's. The whole 680 series will be fine additions to your collection.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Another poster just put a deer barrel for a 303 on the sell forum here for $165. Thats a great buy and it will fit your 302. I have seen them go for over $250

4. AFARR

AFARR TS Member

It's a 30" Full Choke on the A302.

Better to get a slug bbl for the 302 (with a wood stock) or look for one for the 390 (Synthetic)?

Thanks for the pointers on the 20ga. I don't have weight issues, and was wondering if they were really that much softer on recoil than a 12ga (I don't find the 12ga bad by way of recoil).

Thanks!

5. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

A lot of people prefer the 390 over the newer 391--they are good guns except the cocking rod will sometimes break;it's an easy and inexpensive fix.

6. Loyac

Loyac Member

AFARR... I own a 32" A303 trap, a 30" AL390 Sport, a 26" ES-100 Pintail field, a 32" Teknys Gold trap, a 28" 20ga Urika 391 Gold field, and a 28" 12ga 686 Onyx... AND I LOVE EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM.

The 20ga Urika is a soft shooting gem! Enjoy your Berettas! John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

whenwasthefirstberetta302made