1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on RCBS Grand reloader ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BARTMAN, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BARTMAN TS Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Looking at the RCBS grand. What are some thoughts of you that have used it and others
  2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Central California
    Bartman, I think it is like cars and women...we all have opinions and the one we have is the best.

It seems there are loyal fans of all the various loaders. I am partial to a couple of different brands, used just about all of them.

Do a search, I believe this has come up in the past, and the majority of those who chimed in thought it was a great unit. I know a couple of guys locally have them, and Randy Albertson in particular here in central CA loves his. I think he uses a Mec hydraulic due to pulling the handle got to be an issue, but otherwise he loved the finished product.
  3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    They are a very good press and the Customer Service and support of this press by RCBS is the best I have ever seen.

Replacement parts are free and shipped the same day, if called in early.
  4. ABH

ABH Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Parsippany, NJ
    I love my GRAND so much, I got a second one for handicap and 20ga loading. The only bad thing is, you can only load 12 & 20ga with it.

ART H.
  5. APrice

APrice Active Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I'm fairly pleased with mine, but being the owner of a Spolar also, it makes the Grand seem like a Model T compared to a Lexus.

Biggest problem I've had is the less than reliable primer feed. I complained so much to RCBS they even sent me a whole new primer feed assembly at no charge, but it is no better than the first one. If you religiously check on each and every primer drop, you'll be okay, but if you miss one the shell check won't stop you from spilling powder. Also, you will eventually wear out the plastic shell holders and have to replace them.
  6. tarheel

tarheel Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Carolina,near Charlotte!
    You can go to Utube.type in Video of Grand reloader,you will see one in operation,with an instructer to point out all the features!
    I like the start and end feature,with no shell in the turret,when the shell gets to the powder drop and shot it turns them on!
    The wad feeder stands out for wad insertion,pull the lever and away she goes!
    I'm impressed,enough that I would trade 2 Mec Grabbers for one Grand!
  7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mini Grand <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FITBrEYt2qE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Grand <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J6tOFHq-QnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    1 POWDER SYSTEM - Hull activated, no hull, no powder.
    No need to manually turn powder on and off. No spillage of
    powder can occur.
    2 SHOT SYSTEM - Hull activated, no hull, no shot. No need
    to manually turn shot on and off. No spillage of shot when
    problems occur.
    3 CASE HOLDERS - Easy removal of hull at all stations.
    Universal 12 and 20 gauge case holders allows cases to
    be sized down around the rim.
    • The combination of the Powder System, Shot System and
    the Case Holders allows the user to reload one shell
    without fear of spillage.
    4 PRIMING SYSTEM - Allows only one primer to feed at a
    time and is an extremely reliable primer feed system.
    5 STEEL SIZE RING - Provides complete resizing of high
    and low base hulls. Not found in most presses.
    • AUTO INDEX - Simple and very reliable automatic indexing
    system that can be easily removed for manual indexing.
    6 TILT-OUT WAD GUIDE - For easy and convenient feeding
    of wads.
    • MASSIVE FRAME - With compound leverage for smooth
    solid feel.
    7 QUICK DRAIN SYSTEM - Both powder and shot hoppers
    have three locating positions. Off, on, and a forward drain
    position for quick and convenient removal.
    8 QUICK CHANGE - Of powder and shot bushings. Changes
    over in less than one minute.
    9 POWDER CHARGE - Is easy to check because the powder
    station is directly in front of the press and it is easy and
    convenient to remove the powder charge hull.
    10 LARGE OPEN FRAME - Designed for convenient easy
    access to all 8 stations.
    • EASY CONVERSION - Changing from 12 gauge to 20
    gauge is quick and easy with our convenient conversion kit.
    11 SHOT & POWDER HOPPERS - Holds 25 pounds of shot
    and 1 pound of powder.
  8. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I have had one since they first came out. I am very pleased with the Grand. The Grand is precise in the settings; therefore, take your time in setting it up. You can get a Hornady to MEC adapter for the shot and powder bar. This allows you to use inexpensive MEC bushings to fine tune your powder drops. (I use Promo so I always have to weight the powder drops and make adjustments for the varying densities of Promo.)

Replace the plastic shell holders and springs each year.(They are free and customer service is fast.) I put a little piece of a mirror under the powder drop station that shows if a primer is in place. I just don't have spilled powder anymore.

Terry Sandlin
  9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Great Feedback guys!!! I may try one myself. I really like the no hull no powder no shot
  10. kofh2

kofh2 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    About the primer feed. Aside from an occasional waxing of the primer tray(makes it slicker than snot)on the 1st down stroke on 1st shell with lever down I pull the primer release tab a few times to drop 5 or so primers into the primer tube.In the event a primer is not released by primer tray there are few in the tube already. No primer miss.No issues. I rarely look to verify if primer has been dropped. Walter
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

primer feed problems on rcbs grand

rcbs grand primer feed